Yoga for weight loss?

Options
Hi everyone. I've been using MFP for about 2 weeks now and I love the control it enables me to have over an area of my life that has, for too long, been a roller coaster. I've been eating better and working on strength and cardio, and was thinking of adding yoga to my exercise routine. On the one hand, I know that yoga is useful for flexibility, balance, and feelings of well being; on the other, I've read that it decreases overall heart rate--which is a concern for me as I want my metabolism to be red hot. Thoughts?

Replies

• katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Hi, Chris! I highly recommend Rodney Yee Power Yoga (DVD). It's one intense workout - really gets my heart rate up. I also get a great all-over strengthening workout. Holding poses is isometric work, but you are also moving from one pose to another, jumping back into planks or upward dog, jumping back to another pose. There are yoga stretching DVD's (Rodney has some great ones, too), but there are a lot of really intense power yoga workouts out there by a lot of different people. Try it out and see if you don't get one hell of a workout!
  • ChrisR7361
    Options
    Thanks, Kate. I will definitely look into Rodney Yee's power yoga style. If it offers the benefits of yoga and raises the heart rate, I call that a win. :)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Where did you hear it lowers your heart rate?

In a way, any exercise will lower your heart rate. Athletes have resting heart rates of 40-60 bpm.
  • superflus
    superflus Posts: 29
    Options
    Bikram yoga is particularly helpful for weight loss. I lost about fifteen pounds over three months doing Bikram when I was in graduate school.
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    HEY! I have been doing DDP YOGA AND LOVE IT! :) I want you to take a look at the link i'm including. I hope it helps. My back and neck has ALWAYS hurt since a bad car accident I had and this yoga program has helped tremendously... Hope this helps :)

http://www.ddpyoga.com/site/index.php/en/results/83-arthur
  • gypsycoyote
    Options
    Well, I say add it for the well being factor! I burn 175 calories during a 40 minute session of post-natal yoga - it is not crazy, just Hatha yoga, which is calming and relaxing, not a major work out, however I always come out of it with so much sweat :D It is such a positive practice! I do it almost every morning - depends on how my body feels - and even when I complain of being in pain and don't want to do it, I get up and do it anyways because it helps to unkink things that get attacked while I sleep. :D Give it a try as a stress relief and warm up and cool down. :D Hope this helps!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Looking at the review of the "Power Yoga" collection DVDs on Amazon, it appears that it's not ideal for beginners; rather challenging.

Rod Yee seems like an excellent instructor though.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Yoga-Total-Body-Workout/dp/B0000A2ZQE

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044CM7YC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00018WNHE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=08T07CVYEMHZANPJJ5J2
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options
    Where did you hear it lowers your heart rate?

In a way, any exercise will lower your heart rate. Athletes have resting heart rates of 40-60 bpm.

this^^ you want a low resting heart rate, a health heart is one that knows how to rest ;P
    and yoga can be very challenging!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've been using MFP for about 2 weeks now and I love the control it enables me to have over an area of my life that has, for too long, been a roller coaster. I've been eating better and working on strength and cardio, and was thinking of adding yoga to my exercise routine. On the one hand, I know that yoga is useful for flexibility, balance, and feelings of well being; on the other, I've read that it decreases overall heart rate--which is a concern for me as I want my metabolism to be red hot. Thoughts?

Do you mean "resting heart rate" is decreased? That is your heart rate as taken first thing in AM (often while still lying in bed). A lower resting heart rate is a good thing, to my understanding.

As for yoga programs--Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga kicks my butt, makes me sweat AND raises my heart rate while I'm attempting to hold the poses--

and I agree with wjewell--check out Arthur's yoga transformation on youtube. Absolutely freakin amazing.

Good luck!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My work friend has lost 30 plus pounds so far with Yoga alone. She goes 4x a week and does Birkrum (sp) for 90 min. She is looking mighty fine I must say
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy yoga.

There was a video going around a couple of months ago about a war vet that was pretty much disabled and started doing DDP yoga. The change was nothing short of miraculous.

If you can find that video, it's definitely worth a watch.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    yogazone on hulu is pretty nice
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy yoga.

There was a video going around a couple of months ago about a war vet that was pretty much disabled and started doing DDP yoga. The change was nothing short of miraculous.

If you can find that video, it's definitely worth a watch.

It's actuallly the video i posted.. Here ya go.

http://www.ddpyoga.com/site/index.php/en/results/83-arthur
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    Hello, having a low heart rate is not necessarily a bad thing. My heart rate is really low, in the early 40's due to how active i have become and every time i visit the doctors, they always say it is a good thing if it stems from the fact that one is active. So far having a low heart rate hasnt interfered with my weightloss
  • elspencero
    elspencero Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee is the man.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose weight when I do a gentle yoga. I think it's because it helps reduce stress and is so relaxing. If I'm less stressed and more relaxed, I tend to eat less!:happy:
  • susanb8500
    susanb8500 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You should try it and continue it if you like it. I love yoga. It's a wonderful complement for strength and cardio for the flexibility and stretching. I love the calming aspect as well. There are many different types so if you don't like what you try at first, try a different kind.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    weight loss is going slow for me but it is coming off.. I do cardio 3 days a week and yoga 2 days a week ..
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I try to fit yoga in about 3 days a week atleast. It has helped a lot with my flexibility, I am sure it will help lose weight. I have known people it has worked for. For people like myself, I use it more for the relaxation and flexibility.
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love power yoga. I do Bob Harper Yoga for Warriors.