Peachtree Road Race July 4th

Options
bnaile
bnaile Posts: 39 Member
Are any of my fellow fitness pals participating in the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta on July 4th?

If so, give a shout out.

Replies

• dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    Not this year but I have ran in 3 of them. I used to live in Atl. Not sure if you have run it before but it is tough. It is always super hot that day and the hills are rough. Well, at least cardiac hill at the 3 mile mark.

Good luck,
    Doug
  • bnaile
    Options
    I ran for the first time last year, Doug. I thought I was a pretty confident runner, but that hill and the heat humbled me pretty good. But I had a great time. It is amazing being with 60 thousnad people all trying hard to improve themselves.
  • bnaile
    Options
    Anyone...anyone?
  • halhix
    halhix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm giving it a go as well. First time here for me. Does anyone know the distance and elevation for Cardiac Hill? I run up and down some hills in my area that can be pretty tough.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I thought about it, but I won't be in town so that a big no go.
    Be safe and drink lots and lots of water! It's gonna be a hot one!
  • bnaile
    Options
    Here a link to the course map that includes an elevation chart:

http://www.peachtreeroadrace.org/documents/download/2011-peachtree-course-elevation-map

Hope this helps.
  • pasturepilot
    pasturepilot Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'll be there. First time running the Peachtree. First 10K. Second organized race (Sweetwater 5K was the first). This time last year, I was sucking wind after hauling laundry up the steps to my apartment.

Starting back in the X section. Gonna have to step it up to make it to the award ceremony to claim my medal ;-)
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I ran my first peachtree last year. I won't be running this year as I'll be working, but I will be taking a peek at the crowds and those running up cardiac hill from the windows of piedmont hospital!

I didn't think cardiac hill was that bad, but because I started in corral T, with a start time of 8:46 it was insanely hot!
    Good luck to you all!
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    Yea, the first year I was way in the back and it was already hot and I was tired before I started. Last couple I was a few groups back and started by 8:00. Since I moved up to Cincinnati I have always wanted to run the flying pig but have never gotten into shape. It is in the spring so next year D@mnit, I am goona run. They have 5k, 10k, 1/2 and full.

I haven't looed at the course map but would guess that hill is 1/2 mile and very steep. Don't envy that part. My next race is another mudathalon in August. Ran one in June and it sucked for me, plan on this one being better.

Good luck everyone!!!!!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    This is my first PRR and I am so excited! We went last Sunday and ran the course early to see what it was like. That cardiac hill is going to be the challenge for sure. I am in J and will be starting at 8:09 so hopefully this heat won't be too much of a factor.
    We are so undecided about how to go and what time to go. Almost everyone I have talked to says get there around 5am....yikes!!
  • halhix
    halhix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My daughter, a family friend, and I are in W (yuck) with an approximate start of 9 am. When do you think it would be a good time to show up? We live in Canton, GA and plan to come down to one of the Marta Stations on 400. Take Marta to Lenox mall?

As far as the run goes, we will wade through the crowd as best as possible and make a go of it. I run Sixes Rd which has a bunch of up and downs with 200ft climbs for 1/2 mile. It seems that Cardiac Hill may be a steeper climb. I hope that my training runs are good enough to help me push through the run on Wednesday.

I hope everyone is safe and has a fun run on Wednesday.
  • ndlauren
    ndlauren Posts: 17
    Options
    My daughter, a family friend, and I are in W (yuck) with an approximate start of 9 am. When do you think it would be a good time to show up? We live in Canton, GA and plan to come down to one of the Marta Stations on 400. Take Marta to Lenox mall?

As far as the run goes, we will wade through the crowd as best as possible and make a go of it. I run Sixes Rd which has a bunch of up and downs with 200ft climbs for 1/2 mile. It seems that Cardiac Hill may be a steeper climb. I hope that my training runs are good enough to help me push through the run on Wednesday.

I hope everyone is safe and has a fun run on Wednesday.

If you're in W, you may want to consider using the Brookhaven station instead. You can then walk south on Peachtree from that station to the W start wave area. It might help avoid some of the crowds for the earlier corrals.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Missed the post. Would have shouted out earlier. Was there, got the t-shirt. :smile:

Currently, I am very much out of shape, my time was 1:47 (worst personal time); then again babying an injured knee. Been participating since late 1990s (except for one year).