Usually below calorie goal but still not losing

Options
I've been using MFP for about 5 weeks and lost 6 lbs in the first 2 weeks or so just sticking to the calorie count. The past 2 weeks, I've added in lots more exercise: now I"m running about 3 mi 3-4 times a week, walking 1-2 miles several days and biking 10-12 miles about 2 days. Ive continued to stay at or below calorie goal but I've gained about a lb and seen no difference in my measurements. Admittedly, I don't eat 100% healthy, but I eat small portions.

Anyway, my question: is this normal? Should I not allow myself to eat back some of the exercise calories? If I don't, I'm wayy below my goal and get the "starvation mode" message. This is my first time doing (and really sticking to) a plan, so I'm constantly learning as I go and would love any thoughts.

My overall goal is just to lose about 10 more pounds.

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    You r doing the right thing by eating back your exercise calories. I dont see any strength training listed at all. That would b my main recommendation. Back off on the cardio and start adding muscle.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP to calculate your calories, then, yes you should be eating more when you exercise.
    Www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why are you trying to be below your calorie goal? MFP already sets you at a level that's below your maintenance.

anyway, like the other people have said you arent eating enough.
  • Alexis256
    Alexis256 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to specifically to be below my calorie goal. I'm just wondering why I'm not losing weight when I'm not routinely going over my level.

(FYI I'm referring to my level adjusted for calories burned, not my original level)
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just me, maybe, but I've found that all calories are not equal. You mentioned not always 'eating healthy'; I'd suggest eliminating refined sugar and most of the fat from your diet for a day or so just to get past the plateau. Same calories; just used on more fat-free sugar-free foods. Makes a big difference, at least with me. Good luck!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Is your activity level and bmr correct? I cant see your diary. How much do u weigh now and what is your calorie allotment?
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to measure your food? What you think is a small portion might not really be a small portion. Are you logging every single thing you eat? You should also avoid eating out since restaurant calorie counts are fairly inaccurate. Also, MFP (and sometimes HRMs) overestimates calories burned through exercise. So you may want to eat no more than 3/4 of those calories back.

Also, it is quite normal to not lose weight for even a couple weeks at a time. I would probably wait 3 weeks before worrying about being at a plateau.
  • Alexis256
    Options
    Is your activity level and bmr correct? I cant see your diary. How much do u weigh now and what is your calorie allotment?

I just checked my activity level and lowered it since I'm on vacation now--thanks for that suggestion. I weight 127 and my (new) allotment is 1200.

Also, @RuthieCass, I don't have a scale but I've been measuring using measuring cups etc... and keeping track of every single thing, but you also might be right.

Thanks for all these suggestion, these are exactly the things i wouldn't normally think of!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    We r the same weight and i was stalled at 1200 for a while too. I recently upped it to 1300 and have had a little progress again. My goal is to eat back about 3/4 of my calories for the reason noted above, but i usually end up eating them all because i am hungry. Lol
  • Alexis256
    Options
    Can I ask why you upped your calories? And why that was successful?

I'm hungry at all times too, therefore I appreciate your guidance :)
  • deniseiwans
    Options
    You state you are not eating healthy. What are you eating. I find high protein, high fiber, low fat and low carbs work the best for me. No refined sugar. Push drinking water, this helps alot. Keep up the exercise. Eat healthy and eating too little is putting your body into "starvation mode" and keeping the weight on instead of off. I have been to Weight Watchers and lost 40 pounds doing this. Now because MFP works on the same principal I have started the same diet regimen and weigh myself instead of paying someone to do it.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I had to cut a lot of things out. I believe that calories are not equal.. and I actually have to eat a lot more fat.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Can I ask why you upped your calories? And why that was successful?

I'm hungry at all times too, therefore I appreciate your guidance :)

I'm upped them because I was HUNGRY. Also, I wasn't losing weight... and eating too FEW calories will KEEP your body from shedding weight over time. If you are hungry, you need to be eating more. I would also suggest eating a lot more fiber and protein. You need to be eating GOOD food.
  • Alexis256
    Options
    Interesting...I think my hunger is in large part a learned behavior. When I was at the weight I'm trying to get back to from a few years ago, I'd eat half a sandwich or a slice of pizza and be totally satisfied. I've now gotten to the point of eating 2 sandwiches and still wanting more and having no control.
  • PS2CR
    Options
    Hunger is your body's signal that you're losing weight. I disagree that it means that you need to be eating more. If you're dieting, then two sandwiches at lunch is not the way to lose weight. That said, neither is starvation. If you're eating 1200 calories/day and are hungry, it's because you're in a calorie deficit...and a calorie deficit = weight loss (eventually). Hang in there. You will feel full after one sandwich when your system acclimates to less food per meal.

Be sure your 1200 calories include plenty of protein, are not of the refined sugar/processed foods variety, and try for at least moderate exercise daily (or more vigorous exercise if you're still not losing weight).
  • PS2CR
    Options
    (The processed, sugary foods cause rapid blood sugar spikes that soon plummet blood sugar levels to even lower than they were before--causing hunger and food cravings. To avoid this, try to keep your blood sugar levels steady with enough protein to tide you over from one meal to the next, and satisfy your sweet tooth with fruit sugars.)
  • sting5
    sting5 Posts: 408
    Options
    Hunger is your body's signal that you're losing weight. I disagree that it means that you need to be eating more. If you're dieting, then two sandwiches at lunch is not the way to lose weight. That said, neither is starvation. If you're eating 1200 calories/day and are hungry, it's because you're in a calorie deficit...and a calorie deficit = weight loss (eventually). Hang in there. You will feel full after one sandwich when your system acclimates to less food per meal.

Be sure your 1200 calories include plenty of protein, are not of the refined sugar/processed foods variety, and try for at least moderate exercise daily (or more vigorous exercise if you're still not losing weight).

very good advice...
  • wongisms
    wongisms Posts: 12
    Options
    I am having the same exact problem and thinking of paying more attention (i usually wind up with bigger dinners just due to my work day) and really paying more attention to the refined sugars, carbs, and the KIND of protein im having. Hoping it chnages. let me know what works for you. I have been able to work out more now but still not dropping any more weight but dropped 6 lbs the first 2-3 weeks i started being really diligent on MFP and my diet nad exercise routine. So I am confused too as to why now im not losing anymore. my guess is the kind of calories being eaten... again, would love to know what works when you push through it.