Help Me My Friends!

Options
I am very frustrated and need your input. I have been going the wrong way on the scale and don't know why. Here is what's happening: I stopped taking Prozac and statins. Stopped statins due to them making me feel terrible and wanted to try and get choloesterol numbers right with exercise and eating right. I started working out 4 times a week in a pretty intense tae kwando class. My diet could be better but I feel that my calorie input has been fairly under control, but getting low on my fruits and veggies. I was always pretty muscular growing up but then stopped working out so everything went to pot. I'm a 47 year old female. Wondering if building muscle with tae kwando is adding the weight and the fat is not coming off? Any input/help is greatly appreciated. I feel like crying everytime I get on the scale.

Replies

• LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration!

Although I've only been here 3 weeks, I've lost weight successfully in the past (but gained in back) a couple of times. I remember that when I first started, the scales never seemed to move. It's kind of happening again - I lost 3 pounds, then have sat here for 2 weeks in the same place - actually gained a pound this morning.

I was trying to figure it out, and remembered that when I've done this before, especially if I started a fitness program, I would gain muscle quickly, and that would add weight. Also, I never seem to drink enough water, so when I increase the water intake, it seems to help get things moving. And finally, I have to log everything, because even when I swear, swear, swear I'm not doing bad on the calories, when I log everything, I realize I was eating more than I thought. That's what happened when I first arrived here at mfp - I couldn't understand why I was gaining and gaining, because I knew I was eating "sensibly." Coming in here and starting to log was a huge and not so happy wake up call.

Anyway, all these thoughts were going through my head when I booted my computer just now after taking a sneak peek on the scales and seeing I gained a pound. I decided to kick up my water intake starting today, and be even more scrupulous about logging everything - I tend to skip the cream in my coffee, the cooking oil when I'm preparing food, etc. What a pain in the butt to have to log everything, but I guess I have to suck it up.

And then I booted my computer and saw your post, so thought I would share.

WE CAN DO THIS!!! Stick with it!! Keep working out, drink lots of water, and log everything even though it's a PITA! I'm about your age (46) and I'm on meds that tend to cause weight gain, but I believe weight loss can still happen. It might not happen as fast as it happens with all these young sprites dropping 10 pounds of water weight all around us every time they pee :laugh: but if we stick with this, we WILL reach our health and fitness goals!! I figure I'll get frustrated too, so maybe you can find me when I'm frustrated and remind me of all this, too!

(handshake!)
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Firstly, try not to be discouraged, these things can take time. It's great that you are exercising, and this will be doing you all sorts of good. However, in my experience and from what I have learned from this forum, diet is a huge part of weight loss. You do need to track what you are eating for consistent and healthy weight loss. Log everything you eat - sometimes we eat more than we think! The quality of what you are eating is also very important. If you get your calories from veggies, lean proteins and complex carbs rather than from refined carbs, sugars and junk foods you will feel better and in my experience the weight comes off better too.

Have a read around the forums. There are all sorts of people here in all sorts of situations. If you could provide us with a little more information on where you are now, and what your goal is, we may be able to give more specific advice.

Good luck.

Erika
  • xStargazerx
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. Its a common misconception. If your eating a high fat diet that could be the problem even though the calories are right it doesn't matter cause its high fat. I had the same problem. The nutritionist I went to see told me to eat four fruits a day and three servings of veggies a day. I was tired all the time. my thyroid is fine and not preggo( thank god). SO I tried it. When I eat that way my body feels great the next day. Plus another tip she gave me was to cut out my evening snack bc your body doesn't have time to burn of those calories. I usually snacked in the late afternoon and night.
    If the scale isn't moving you could be replacing ffat with muscle. Which is great. That is the time you would want to start taking measurements. If your losing inches but not weight you are gaining muscle and replacing the fat stores. Which is great too bc muscle burns more calories than fat. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    People call it a myth because they're thinking in terms of a pound is a pound. A pound of feathers does not weigh more than a pound of lead. They weigh the same.

However, a pound of feathers takes up a lot of space, but a pound of lead does not.

This is what happens - when people start to work out, often they start to build muscle before they start to lose fat.

A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

So it is entirely possible, and quite probable, that someone starting an aggressive fitness program could lose inches, but not lose weight. It evens out eventually though.

Don't get caught up in the "It's a myth" "it's not a myth" argument - just stick to your guns, eat the way you know you should, keep working out, drink lots of water, and it will all come out positively.
  • evanslawn
    evanslawn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input! I knew I could count on this group...