heart rate monitors

Options
May seem like a really DUMB question... I've been reading reviews most of the morning. But does a heart rate monitor simply tell you your heart rate as long as your wearing the strap and then You have to calculate something for calories burned? Or does the gadget tell you how many calories you've burned?

Replies

• hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    May seem like a really DUMB question... I've been reading reviews most of the morning. But does a heart rate monitor simply tell you your heart rate as long as your wearing the strap and then You have to calculate something for calories burned? Or does the gadget tell you how many calories you've burned?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The gadget tells you how many calories you've burned doing any activity.

I now find I exercise "until 400 calories o'clock" and etc.

They are magical! Mine even talks to all of the machines at the gym. I wish I'd bought it years ago. It's my new favorite toy.:flowerforyou:
  • Nicksmom1974
    Options
    That is interesting....is it the same as the arm bands the contestants use on the Biggest Loser show? Where could I find one and about how much would they run in cost.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    They vary greatly in price and quality. At the risk of sounding like a sales clerk, I love my Polar. (they also have a great website to compare models. . .just google "polar heart rate monitor") Expect to pay around 100 dollars for a model with a chest strap (Ihear rumours they're cheaper on amazon or ebay).

It's a great way to get the most out of your workouts, and have a more accurate idea of how many calories you burn in a non-exercise day.:flowerforyou:
  • hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. i did go to amazon and had read some good reviews about an omron??? Would that be a good bet? You can wear it all day to find out how many calories you burn in a typical day right?
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Thank you so much. i did go to amazon and had read some good reviews about an omron??? Would that be a good bet? You can wear it all day to find out how many calories you burn in a typical day right?

Can't speak for the omron. . .but yes, you can wear it all day for your calorie burn. (possible special bonus: extra food!)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I bought a $35 Omron - because I love my Omron pedometer - but didn't like the HRM much. It didn't tell you calories burned and didn't read HR very well - it was like it had a delay. I spent the money, got a Polar, which is much better for reading HR.