Cauliflower

Options
I've been trying to find alternative for my meals to make things even healthier than they already are.

I steam my cauliflower and then eat it with ranch dressing. I like the extra flavor, because I don't like the taste of cauliflower all by itself, too plain for me.

What would you substitute the ranch dressing for that's still lower in calories/sodium?

Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    that sounds yummy hahah...

could try making "mashed potatoes" with cauliflower and cottage cheese :)
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-mock-mashed-potatoes/
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    have you ever tried making faux mashed potatoes....... I love them and you cant tell much difference in real mashed pots if you make them right...Im on the low carb plan so i eat cauliflower mash several times a week....love it!
  • Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i like to bake mine with some southwest seasonings, garlic, or other favorite spices super delicious, tons of flavor and no fat and excessive calories
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love steamed cauliflower and broccoli. All I use on them is lemon juice. Plain and simple, but so gooood.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I roast it then sprinkle on curry powder and lemon juice, a little salt. Even my kids love it!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Melt a wedge of Laughing Cow Cheese on them....
    Some grated cheese melted on it......
    Eaten raw!!

I am going to have to try this mashed cauliflower you guys call mashed potatoes....I just don't see why it's called mashed potatoes....it's mashed cauliflower!!! Hellloooooooooooo... ;)
  • AMYJK7110
    AMYJK7110 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would make a cucumber sauce, or tzatziki, to dip. If you find a recipe that uses sour cream, sub. greek yogurt. :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I make all kinds of veggie dips with greek yogurt. You can use any powdered dressing mix, like ranch, or just add spices until you find a combo you like. I'm currently obsessed with using sun dried tomatoes in my dips, with powdered onion and garlic.
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Look up cauliflower pizza crust
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Eat them raw with dip.

Steaming them makes them lose their nutritional value.

I use Renee's Gourmet Buttermilk Ranch Dressing (60 cals)
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My trick is popcorn cheese powder lots of flavor and very few cals
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I roast it. No dip needed.
  • bp716
    bp716 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    a dip with greek yogurt and spicy brown mustard!!
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash has some great flavors and no sodium.
    Kernal Season's popcorn seasonings are delicious and don't have too much sodium. :)
  • scriehl
    scriehl Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Roasted Cauliflower is the bomb! So good. Lots of recipes out there.
  • fullofsmiles04
    fullofsmiles04 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would try a little lemon juice and seasoning of your choice. I add that to other veggies that I dont especially care for so I can still incorporate them into my diet.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    If you have to have ranch, try buying the dry mix-- I know the sodium, but buy a 6oz container of greek non fat plain yogurt and add a teaspoon of the dry mix to it. It's pretty good and you still get that decadent flavor.
  • Katychla
    Katychla Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make faux mac and cheese. You use cauliflower and only part of the noodles, bread crumbs and some light cheeses. It's AMAZING and so filling! I can only eat about half a cup (and that's back when I would eat anything in front of me).
  • Teuila99
    Teuila99 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also like faux mac & cheese aka mockaroni, google recipes and find one you like. I also love cauliflower pizza, cauliflower chicken fried rice, and cauliflower bread sticks. Who knew cauliflower could be so versatile, all of these recipes have helped me to stick to a lower carb diet. Hope you find some recipes you will love.