Take on Calorie Intake

Options
nokittyno
nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
Hello all!

Okay note+++ LONG, LONG POST, if you don't wanna help, or hate reading, I suggest moving on. LOL. I wanna give as much info as I can possible...

I don't post very often, I may reply sometimes but other than that in terms of creating a Topic - not so much. So I am no fitness guru, or genius, nor do I have access to all the word-ly advice, but it would be great if someone with experience of knowledge could give me a hand.

I know noone can answer for me specifically, but I was curious as to what sort of Daily Calorie Limit I should follow?

I know MYP sets you at a lower 1,200 or so, and i've done it without much success. I've tried 1300 and some odd not so much. I try and be as honest as I can to myself in my diary, it IS public, and I know I could do better in more areas, but i know coming from a year back I have vastly improved my nutrition and portions, but I am looking to lose some weight (or alot sort of) but in a healthy slow manner, not 10lbs in 10 days or something, I had lost abut 80lbs when I was 17 by running 7 days a week, (literally) 1-1.5 at a time, but I killed my knees for the most part and had no strength.

So, FF to today where my cardio is supplied by Spin Bike, and usually follows a weight lifting routine (I haven't time to do cardio morning/lifting evening) and I always do cardio AFTER weights, so as not to deplete my energy in that state.

Anywhoo, few quick tidbits about me, I will share.. even if I don't wanna.. LOL

I am 5'6''ish
153-156lbs, given the day, and TOM (if you know what I mean) and I have went down from about sitting near a stagnant 159(ish) to the more current numbers posted just above of 3/6.
I workout 5 days a week,

My Current Split is as follows:
(I should update my profile to this one as I changed it)

Sunday: Legs, followed by a 10-20minute cooldown of Cardio, Spin Bike
Monday: Off
Tuesday: Chest, then Cardio as usual, some Abs (or what I like to think is under there...lol)
Wednesday: Back, Cardio. (sometimes Chest/Back rotate, depending on my feeling and the workday)
Thursday; Off
Friday: Shoulders and some Rotator Cuff work, then Biking a bit
Saturday: Arms and Abs (again.. I ASSUME may be under there)

on a level of activity, I woudl say low-moderate, yes I work out, but I don't walk EVERYWHERE I go, however I do try and walk my dogs when I can, at least once a day, depending which dog, 20mins-1hour (and depending on winter/summer)

I work in retail, so I don't move alot aside from standing for ages, not like I work construction, but I don't sit at a desk or anything either.

My Main goal is to FIND the CORRECT calories I need to intake, lose some weight, and build/maintain muscle, I love weight lifting and don't know if I could go back to being a strict cardio bunny like I was, no matter how thin I was then (I had issues though, like 4 years without a period until I put on weight, when I was at my ultimate lowest of 116 (111 when I had the flu.. Lol)).

SO... What would you give me based on my stats for calories/day? or Macro's in general...

I notice some women who lift average 1700-2200, but I find if I net those I don't lost weight but gain, I know I need to work on my quality of calories, and I am.. (chocolate? Love..:'(

So.... if that isn't a huge request..any help? I have it set to 1400 and something.. and I usually net 13-15, but latlely higher though the scale has gone up a lb or two.

??

(quick note: I had done this mathematical thing online from BB.Com, and what I was given in a nutshell was:

1570 – 1744.

Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs

If you wanna know how I got it, it'll be posted below.. it looks like nonsense, and is not my ORIGINAL POST, so don't be afraid that you have to read it all too.. it's just what I followed:

"

+++++++YOU DONT HAVE TO READ BELOW, POST SEND SUP THERE ^^^^^

BUT WHAT I FOLLOWED++++++++++++++++++MY MACRO THING I FOLLOWED MONTHS BACK++++++++++++

1570 – 1744.

Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs
Calculating Calories and Macro's

Basic Terminology
1/ BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): This is the amount of calories you need to consume to maintain your body if you were comatose (base level).
2/ NEAT (Non-Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie of daily activity that is NOT exercise (eg: washing, walking, talking, shopping, working). ie: INCIDENTAL EXERCISE! It is something that everyone has a good amount of control over & it is the MOST important factor in your energy expenditure. It is what helps keep 'constitutionally lean' people LEAN (they fidget)!
3/ EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie requirements associated with planned exercise. Unless someone is doing a whole heap of exercise (eg: two or more hrs training a day) it usually doesn't add a stack of calories to your requirements (30 minutes of 'elliptical training isn't going to do it')
4/ TEF (Thermic effect of feeding): The calorie expenditure associated with eating.REGARDLESS of what myths you have been told - this is NOT dependent on MEAL FREQUENCY. It is a % of TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED (and 15% of 3 x 600 cal meals is the same as 15% of 6 x 300 cal meals). It varies according to MACRONUTRIENT content and FIBER content. For most mixed diets, it is something around 15%. Protein is higher (up to 25%), carbs are variable (between 5-25%), and fats are low (usually less than 5%). So -> More protein and more carbs and more fiber = HIGHER TEF. More FAT = LOWER TEF.
5/ TEE (Total Energy Expenditure): The total calories you require - and the sum of the above (BMR + NEAT + EAT + TEF).

How much do you need?
There is therefore a multitude of things that impact a persons MAINTENANCE calorie requirements
- Age & sex (males generally need > females for any given age)
- Total weight & lean mass (more lean mass = more needed)
- Physiological status (eg: sick or injured, pregnant, growth and 'enhancement')
- Hormones (eg: thyroid hormone levels, growth hormone levels)
- Exercise level (more activity = more needed)
- Daily activity level (more activity = more needed)
- Diet (that is - macronutrient intake)

In order to calculate your requirements the most accurate measure is via Calorimetry [the measure of 'chemical reactions' in your body & the heat produced by these reactions], either directly (via placing a calorimeter where the heat you produce is measured) or indirectly (eg: HOOD studies where they monitor how much oxygen you use/ carbon dioxide and nitrogen you excrete over a given time). But although accurate they are completely impractical for most people & we mostly rely on pre-set formula t0 calculate our needs.

Estimating Requirements
The simplest method of estimating needs is to base your intake on a standard 'calories per unit of weight (usually kilograms)'. Typically:
- 26 to 30 kcals/kg/day for normal, healthy individuals with sedentary lifestyles doing little physical activity [12.0-14 kcal/pound]
- 31 to 37 kcal/kg/day for those involved in light to moderate activity 3-5 x a week with moderately active lifestyles [14-16 kcal/ pound]
- 38 to 40 kcals/kg/day for those involved in vigorous activity and highly active jobs [16-18 kcal/ pound].

For those involved in HEAVY training (eg: athletes) - the demand is even greater:
- 41 to 50 kcals/kg/day for those involved in moderate to heavy training (for example: 15-20 hrs/ week training) [18.5-22 kcal/ pound]
- 50 or above kcals/kg/day for those involved in heavy to extreme training [> 22 kcal/ pound]

2/Mifflin-St Jeor: Developed in the 1990s and more realistic in todays settings. It still doesn't take into consideration the differences as a consequence of high BF%. Thus, once again, it OVERESTIMATES NEEDS, ESPECIALLY IN THE OVERWEIGHT.
9.99 x 66.22(145lb) = 661 + 6.25 x 170.68(5.6’’)=1,066.75-4.92 x 23(113.16)-161 = 1,454(.12)
WOMEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161

3/Katch-McArdle:Considered the most accurate formula for those who are relatively lean. Use ONLY if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.
BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

You then multiply these by an 'activity variable' to give TEE. This Activity Factor[/u] is the cost of living and it is BASED ON MORE THAN JUST YOUR TRAINING. It also includes work/lifestyle, sport & a TEF of ~15% (an average mixed diet). Average activity variables are:
1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise + desk job)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

#2MiffinStJeorxActivity Factor=

1,452 x 1.2 = 1,744.95

So to convert BMR to a TOTAL requirement: multiply the result of your BMR by the variable you fall into!
How Accurate are they?: Well, although they give rough ball-park figures, they are still 'guesstimations' and most people still OVERESTIMATE activity, UNDERESTIMATE bodyfat & end up eating TOO MUCH. So the aim is to use these as 'rough figures', monitor your weight/ measurements for 2-4 weeks, & IF your weight is stable/ measurements are stable, you have likely found maintenance.

Using the Above to Recalculate Based on Goals
You then need to DECREASE or INCREASE intake based on your goals (eg: lose or gain mass). And instead of using 'generic calorie amounts' (eg: 500 cals/ day), this should be calculated on a % of your maintenance. Why? The effect of a given calorie amount on an individual is going to be markedly different based on their size/ total calorie intake. For example - subtracting 500 cals/ day from a 1500 total intake is 1/3rd of the total cals, where 500 cals/ day from 3500 total intake is only 1/6th of the total. The results will therefore be markedly different on an individuals energy level & weight loss. So generally:
- To ADD weight: ADD 10-20% calories to the total above
- To LOSE weight: SUBTRACT 10-20% calories from the total above
Then monitor your results and adjust as required.

#2MiffinStJeorxActivity Factor=

1,452 x 1.2 = 1,744.95

1,744 x 10% =(174.495) 1,570(.455)

Macronutrient NeedsOnce you work out calorie needs, you then work out how much of each macronutrient you should aim for. This is one of the areas that is MOST often confused but This should NOT be based on a RATIO of macro intakes. (eg: '30:40:30 or 40:40:20') Your body doesn't CARE what % intake you have. It works based on SUFFICIENT QUANTITY per LEAN MASS or TOTAL MASS. So to try to make it as simple as possible:

1. Protein: Believe it or not - Protein intake is a bit of a controversial issue. In this, the general recommendations given in the 'bodybuilding' area are nearly double the 'standard' recommendations given in the Sports Nutrition Arena.
The GENERAL sports nutrition guideline based on most studies out suggest that in the face of ADEQUATE calories and CARBS then the following protein intakes are sufficient:
STRENGTH training -> 1.2 to 1.6g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)
ENDURANCE training -> 1.4 to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound)
BUT they also acknowledge that protein becomes MORE important in the context of LOWER calorie intakes, or LOWER carb intakes.

Regardless of this, the general 'bodybuilding' guidelines would be as follows:
- If you guess your bodyfat is AVERAGE = 1-1.25g per pound TOTAL weight
- If you KNOW your bodyfat = 1-1.5g per pound LEAN weight

If you are VERY LEAN or on a VERY LOW CALORIE INTAKE then protein should be higher:
- Average bodyfat, lower calorie intake = 1.25-1.5 per pound total mass
- Very lean, lower calorie intake = 1.33-2 per pounds lean mass

If you are VERY OVERWEIGHT, VERY INACTIVE, or on a HIGH calorie diet then you can decrease BELOW the above levels if desired*= ~ 1 x LEAN mass to 0.8-1 x total weight in pounds

Anecdotally, most find the HIGHER protein intake better for satiety, partitioning, and blood sugar control. So UNLESS you are specifically guided to use the GENERAL sports nutrition guidelines, I would suggest the BODYBUILDING values.

2. Fats: Generally speaking, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body NEEDS fat to maintain general health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally - any form of high intensity training will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which acts to control free radical damage and inflammation. General guides:
Average or lean: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.45 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ LEAN weight [between 0.45 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
IF low calorie dieting - you can decrease further, but as a minimum, I would not suggest LESS than about 0.35g/ pound.
Note 1: Total fat intake is NOT the same as 'essential fats' (essential fats are specific TYPES of fats that are INCLUDED in your total fat intake)...

3. Carbs: Important for athletes, HIGHLY ACTIVE individuals, or those trying to GAIN MASS, carbs help with workout intensity, health, & satiety (+ sanity).
For carbs there are no specific 'requirements' for your body so for 'general folk' to calculate your carbs you just calculate it from the calories left over from fats/ protein:
carb calories = Total calorie needs - ([protein grams as above x 4] + [fat grams as above x 9])
carbs in grams = above total/ 4

If you are an athlete - I would actually suggest you CALCULATE a requirement for carbs as a PRIORITY - then go back and calculate protein / fat:
moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
highly active: 6.5 - 9 g/ kg (about 3 - 4g/ pound)"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++MY MACRO THING I FOLLOWED MONTHS BACK++++++++++++

Replies

• nokittyno
    Options
    Guess not. Lol.
  • shortjennifer
    Options
    I would suggest less obsessing with the small stuff, focus on other things in life while keeping an eye on calorie intake/exercise. We are more than the diet and there must be other bits of life to enjoy. So go enjoy and it may well take care of itself!
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    well i did read it. lol but i'm not sure what to say other than what u posted already about doing the tdee-15%
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say for sure, each person reacts differently to changes in diet.

I'm a 6'2" guy, hit a hard plateau when I got down to 240 lbs and netting about 1900 calories. I broke the plateau by dropping to a 1 lb per week goal from 2 lbs per week, and upping my calories to a 2340 net. Now the weight is falling off again, and faster than 1 lb per week. I found what worked for me, by relaxing and kind of by accident. I actually consume 2900-3200 calories on any given day, but exercise keeps my net down to 2300-ish.

Some questions....
    -What kind of goal did you input? 2 lb per week might be putting to much strain on your body since that is a 1000 calorie deficit from your TDEE.
    -How do you calculate your calories burned by exercise? I've found the MFP database is significantly over for a lot of my high intensity cardio.
    -Do you eat back any of your exercise burned calories? If you keep to the net calorie target MFP gives you, the deficit to lose weight is built into that, so it's normally fine to eat back your exercise calories. That allows you to refuel your body, easing some of the stress on it, but keeping a good deficit to lose weight. This subject also leads to some argument on these forums.
    -How long were you eating at 1200 calories? If that was slowing down your metabolism it will take time (assume 4-6 weeks) of eating more to sort of reset your metabolism and get back to losing weight.
    -Food...do you eyeball / approximate servings or measure everything? Personal experience, I could not approximate anything with any accuracy and would have been overeating by 30-40% had I not started measuring or weighing everything. Also be careful of just accepting what is in the MFP database as there are a lot of errors in the user entered items.

Given that you approximate BMR for someone of your height, weight, gender is about 1400 calories. I would suggest not going below that for a net calorie goal. I would also consider re-evaluating what you consider your activity level for a normal, average day without exercise.
  • nokittyno
    Options
    It's hard to say for sure, each person reacts differently to changes in diet.

I'm a 6'2" guy, hit a hard plateau when I got down to 240 lbs and netting about 1900 calories. I broke the plateau by dropping to a 1 lb per week goal from 2 lbs per week, and upping my calories to a 2340 net. Now the weight is falling off again, and faster than 1 lb per week. I found what worked for me, by relaxing and kind of by accident. I actually consume 2900-3200 calories on any given day, but exercise keeps my net down to 2300-ish.

Some questions....
    -What kind of goal did you input? 2 lb per week might be putting to much strain on your body since that is a 1000 calorie deficit from your TDEE.
    -How do you calculate your calories burned by exercise? I've found the MFP database is significantly over for a lot of my high intensity cardio.
    -Do you eat back any of your exercise burned calories? If you keep to the net calorie target MFP gives you, the deficit to lose weight is built into that, so it's normally fine to eat back your exercise calories. That allows you to refuel your body, easing some of the stress on it, but keeping a good deficit to lose weight. This subject also leads to some argument on these forums.
    -How long were you eating at 1200 calories? If that was slowing down your metabolism it will take time (assume 4-6 weeks) of eating more to sort of reset your metabolism and get back to losing weight.
    -Food...do you eyeball / approximate servings or measure everything? Personal experience, I could not approximate anything with any accuracy and would have been overeating by 30-40% had I not started measuring or weighing everything. Also be careful of just accepting what is in the MFP database as there are a lot of errors in the user entered items.

Given that you approximate BMR for someone of your height, weight, gender is about 1400 calories. I would suggest not going below that for a net calorie goal. I would also consider re-evaluating what you consider your activity level for a normal, average day without exercise.

Hi there! Thanks everyone for your input. I'll answer a few questions.

I Believe I entered in an ideal .5lbs a week for weight loss.
    The 1200 calories I did last year and went up to 1300s a few months back and 1400s just a few 2 months or so recently.
    I have a star frit food scale and weight my food often, such as dry pasta, nuts, yogurt if in a large serving container, cereal and what not. I do eyeball stuff too as after using a scale for almost a year now I am Better at eye balling.
    For calories burned I agree MFP can over estimate the amount burned, luckily I own a Polar FT60 I believe is the model and wear it during all activity.
    I do eat back my calories, I actually wasn't aware the defeceit was built into that!
    And finally,...

So I have been working on my diet in terms of quality, if you were to go back to last year and now in Diary it would show for sure. I know strength wise I am much stronger as every day I learn more about nutrition and exercise and body parts, etc. to give an example even though my numbers are low my weight lifting looks like this:

Working sets (not 1rep maxes)

Incline Barbell Bench,
    100lbs
    reps) 12-13(depends. Lol) 8-6-6-4
    Whereas a year or so back I was Doing 65ish flat

Squat (still pathetic, lol)
    105-115
    higher reps
    5-6x 8-14

Front squat
    100lbs
    4-5x7-8

Deadlifts
    185lbs
    4x7-8

Those are just examples of a single working set not just he entire scheme but what I am getting at is I know I have muscle too I can visuall see it and feel I but I still need to lose weight and can seem to do so as easily. Very stagnant.

I should also add in my extended family there is celiac disease (not immediate) and I have had issues with being randomly sick for about 8 years on and off and after numerous tests and specialists have taken if upon myself to try a gluten free diet (for month(s)now) with the exception of this weeks dominos (felt sick after, be it possible wheat or pizza in general beig bad lol) and a bun yesterday or,.. Day before (felt sick at work day after,.. Unsure) taking I upon myself to try since doctors have yielded nothing. Lol.

Sonwiththat there's everything I can think of. I could try to bump up but I seem to go over my netted 1400 often and still don't lose. Nor did I at 1200.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the Celiac's concerns. My mom (62 yrs old) got diagnosed with Celiac's in December.....no gluten or dairy for her anymore. I haven't gotten myself tested yet (should because its autoimmune and can be passed genetically) but also don't have any symptoms unless I really load on the ultra-refined wheat based carbs. If I eat a whole pizza in a weekend I won't feel very good afterwards for a day or two. Is that the wheat gluten or just my body not wanting that much of that cheap junk inside me, I'm not sure. One or two pieces doesn't bother me. Wheat gluten is used as a filler in a lot of stuff, even in salad dressings and some spice mixes. If it's a problem for you, you're definitely going to have to be vigilant about the prepackaged and restaurant food you get.

After paging back through a couple weeks of your food diary, I would keep working on improving your diet as you have been. I'm a big proponent of raw fruits and vegetables. Most are low calorie, high fiber, high vitamin and mineral content. Also make sure you're getting enough clean, lean protein. I suspect you are or you would have trouble building and repairing muscle from your weight training.

I also didn't see water getting logged. Do make sure you are getting enough water, it's like lubricant for the inter-cellular chemical reactions in your body. Nothing in your body works quite right if you don't have water. Personal opinion here, but I don't count coffee and soda as water. Water, juice, milk and soup broth I do count as water as well as any calories and such involved. 8 cups a day is to much for some and not enough for others (like me), but I would start by aiming for 8. If you are drinking a good amount of water and not logging it, go ahead and ignore this.

0.5 lbs a week translates to 250 calorie a day deficit built into your net calorie goal. (3500 calories for 1 lb / 7 days * 1/2 = 250). It's kind of a small deficit so you have to be planning to hit your net calorie mark daily, or you could undo 2-3 days of hard work by going way over one day.

As for you exercise, the only thing I can really say is switch things up a bit. Your body naturally aims for peak efficiency when doing the same routine over and over again and you end up burning fewer calories doing the same work. Different exercises, same exercises in different order or combination. Changing up cardio definitely important, and if possible, increasing the amount you do. Not to go high cardio only workouts, but increase what you do now by 15-20%.

Do you take body measurements or only go by weight? Could be you're no losing weight because you're burning body fat and building muscle at the same time. You'll maintain weight but get slimmer due to the higher density of muscle.