NO WILL POWER!!

Options
I have absolutely no will power when it comes to food at parties. If I don`t have to buy the food directly, I go completely crazy. Even just today I think I ate my entire days worth of calories in chips, because my boss bought them for our work wind up.

Food that I buy, I seem to be able to ration out and then I don`t eat half a litre of ice cream in one go. I seem totally stuck at my current weight and this last little while I have felt completely helpless.

Any tips for better "free food" will power?

Replies

• rayael
    rayael Posts: 3
    Options
    i do the same thing! its like all my will power goes right out the window as soon as i see it!
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    What cannot be cured must be endured.

If you absolutely HAVE to go to places with food and can't pull a trick like leaving your wallet at home then you need to find other things to do rather than eat.

Try....
    - avoidance: sit or stand far away from the food
    - bait and switch: have a big glass of water and take two sips of it for every bite of food, it'll make it last longer
    - delaying: set your watch for ten minutes into the meeting. tell yourself if you really want the X in ten minutes then you can have it. Next time try 15 minutes, then 20.
    - distraction: doodle a picture, make a list of all the reasons you like the colour blue, dance a jig, get your mind off of it!
    - rewarding: if you don't eat whatever it is you're avoiding then you can put 5$ towards something non-food and fun (a manicure! flowers! etc). Do this every time these situations come up.
    - accepting and portioning: decide how much you're going to eat, put it on a plate in front of you and saaaaaavour it
  • ShelfRelianceMom
    Options
    I hear you. I am doing okay right now but I have the exact same mindset sometimes. I will think to myself, that box of candies has 0 calories because it was a gift and gifts don't count. This chocolate is at someone else's home so I can have 3. Oh, its a special occasion so I need to try one of everything. Isn't it the dumbest psychological problem ever?

At home I am the type who substitutes apple sauce for oil, bean puree for butter, etc but..... I have issues :)

I think the thing that helps me is sometimes deciding not to partake at all if that makes sense. Sometimes its hard to say no to party food at first but then you look at things as you step away from the table and decide that they really don't look all THAT good. I try to think of the sick feeling I have once I have eaten it and realize that I don't want that.

Tips:

If I cannot eat before I try to drink large glasses of water before so even if I am still wanting to try stuff, I'll be less likely to graze on a bunch of junk because I'm not hungry for it as much.

If you have time, make a smoothie and drink it on the way to where you are going. You'll feel happy that you had something sweet to satisfy that need and will genuinely feel full.

If you know you are going to try stuff tell yourself its okay, but just x amount before you start. If you go in with a goal, you're more likely to stop yourself. If you just start eating, then realize, what have I done, it's a little harder to have control Then you start doing what I do. I say, "well, I already blew it, might as well keep going." TERRIBLE mentality to have.

You will develop it. Maybe having a saying that you can tell yourself before you enter the situation (and in your head while you are there) like "that can never taste as good as looking good feels".

Just ramblings from someone trying to overcome the same thing as you. I totally understand your dillema.
  • Jessicat9
    Jessicat9 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm very similar in the fact that I absolutely cannot stay away from the food at parties. Something I have only recently figured out is that I can allow myself to go for it occasionally.
    However, if I want to 'stay in the green', then I do a massive work out the morning before the party, that way I have already worked off a lot of the calories I might consume.
    Not only do I not feel guilty about enjoying some of the snacks, but I also actually eat less because I know what it took to burn it off! Win win!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I so do this!! Its mega hard once you start to stop yourself lol I get a plate and put a little bit of everything on it and try and stick to that its helped a bit ... Dsnt always work though lol So exercise and burn it off !
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

If you absolutely HAVE to go to places with food and can't pull a trick like leaving your wallet at home then you need to find other things to do rather than eat.

Try....
    - bait and switch: have a big glass of water and take two sips of it for every bite of food, it'll make it last longer
    - delaying: set your watch for ten minutes into the meeting. tell yourself if you really want the X in ten minutes then you can have it. Next time try 15 minutes, then 20.
    - distraction: doodle a picture, make a list of all the reasons you like the colour blue, dance a jig, get your mind off of it!
    - rewarding: if you don't eat whatever it is you're avoiding then you can put 5$ towards something non-food and fun (a manicure! flowers! etc). Do this every time these situations come up.
    - accepting and portioning: decide how much you're going to eat, put it on a plate in front of you and saaaaaavour it

In the main this, there are some good ideas here - thank you

I have the self same problem. With a buffet what I also do is put the rationed food on my plate and walk away from the buffet. I then know that if I go back up to fill up everyone will be watching the fat bloke fill his plate again. That's often enough to deter me. Othertimes I will ask my wife to ask me whether I need more. That question reminds me of what I am trying to do. Is there someone you can trust who will help you by acting as your conscience?
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Try....

Wow great advice! Like the OP I also really struggle with will power so I'm going to print this out and keep it!!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    will try some of the tips today
    every friday at work we have meeting with snacks and buzz
    and i don't only end up consuming 1000 kcal worth chips, crackers and beer
    I aslo feel totally embarrased as I clean off half of the food ment for 12 people :blushing:
  • sheemoo
    sheemoo Posts: 4
    Options

Try....
    these are great tips!!!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Staying away from the food!! Number one rule, just dont go near the table. Eat a proper meal before you go and dont talk to people near the buffet.

I get where youre coming from, party food is my absolute downfall, specifically, mini sausage rolls. I could eat so much party food and I ALWAYS regret it.

I managed to stay away at an engagement party a few weeks ago by just making sure I'd already eaten and not going near the table :) It worked a treat.
  • rfrqueen
    rfrqueen Posts: 5
    Options
    AMAZING tips everyone!

I find it super difficult, because I will say to myself "I am not hungry", my body says it's not hungry, but then I reach for more food. I'll make a really well portioned plate of food and eat it... then do it again... and again.

I'll probably try the timing thing, because my dietary restrictions already have me waiting times and such, so I know I'm good at sticking to those.