Ideas to make work meals healthy

Options
I work shifts in a supermarket.
My breaks are sporadic, my days are hectic.
I want to take my own food to work, but really want ideas that are tasty, filling, interesting, and healthy...that can be stored in a fridge, and may only need heating in a microwave.

Any ideas would be great thanks

Replies

• nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Soups! You can pretty much make up whatever you want, calorie wise, protein wise, carbs wise, spice wise, so they can fit any diet or lifestyle you are trying to maintain. Recommend the Covent Garden Soup cookbook.

Can be made in batches which is cost effective, freezing some and only take 2-3 mins to microwave.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    leftover dinner :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Do what you normally do but save it for the next day. Its just my husband and I, but I still cook for four people. Two meals left over mean lunch for both of us the next day.

I also do bulk cooking which makes meal planning alot easier to do as well!
  • YeahMe
    YeahMe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Chili! Veggie or Turkey. I make mine in a crockpot on the weekend...then portion it out. I use black or pinto bean with lots of veggies like tomatoes and bell peppers. Very enjoyable and filling. I sometimes give myself a treat of topping with light cheddar or light sour cream!
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have to preplan all my meals or I get out of control (as it has been for the past two weeks). I pack lots of variety from veggies, fruits, sandwiches and soups. Works for me when I do it!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Definitely try making foods ahead of time - it's what keeps me in line, too. My day is usually Sunday - I'll plan for spouse's meals and mine. I usually have to do two different things because he wants jalapeno's & a pound of mozzarella cheese on everything - lol. I also buy frozen asparagus and frozen broccoli so I can quickly grab it out of the freezer on days I don't have something pre-made. If all I'm having for lunch is 2 cups of broccoli, I'll treat myself and add a tablespoon of land o lakes light spreadable butter on it for 50 cals.
  • Dizz_zey
    Dizz_zey Posts: 2
    Options
    I do always have spinach, broccoli and chicken in my freezer to make curry (it's awesome) which I have been using for work.
    Just made a chicken casserole, with mixed veg, tinned tomatoes, onions, pepper, chilli, stock cube and paprika..no oil. Slow cooked, add brown rice, it's awesome! Works well for work.

Cheers guys and gals, I just needed to think logically.