5 miles = 10,000 steps?

Options
thisisjl
thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
I read somewhere that 5 miles is roughly 10,000 steps. Math is not my strong suite so I just want to check with y'all on my math for the following. I work in an office that to walk around the "circle" is 50 steps (alright 49 but I'll round up for this one). If I walk around 4 times that would be .1 mile correct? I work nights and walk many of these laps so I want to figure out how far it is I'm walking each night. Thanks for checking my math!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If 5 miles is 10,000 steps, then 1 mile is 2,000 steps.

4 laps of your office at 50 steps a lap would be 200 steps. Or 1/10 of a mile.

It does rather depend on how long your stride is!
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    RoybieOfTheRovers Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that 5 miles is roughly 10,000 steps. Math is not my strong suite so I just want to check with y'all on my math for the following. I work in an office that to walk around the "circle" is 50 steps (alright 49 but I'll round up for this one). If I walk around 4 times that would be .1 mile correct? I work nights and walk many of these laps so I want to figure out how far it is I'm walking each night. Thanks for checking my math!

10,000 steps for five miles sound plausable. If your circle is 50 steps and you walk it 4 times that is a total of 200 steps. One mile would be 2,000 steps so you would need to walk the circle 40 times to make one mile. 4 times round would be on tenth of a mile.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    ummm nope...it really depends on how big your steps are ! :bigsmile:
  • thisisjl
    Options
    Thanks guys for verifying my math. I'd like to be able to figure it out for sure but there is no way for me to measure my stride verses the approx guide other than counting my step while on the treadmill and I'm sure by 100 I'd start loosing count or forget to keep counting....
  • thisisjl
    Options
    ummm nope...it really depends on how big your steps are ! :bigsmile:

I understand this but I don't think my stride is small nor extremely large so I'm going with my stride is average because it's the best approximation I can get.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You can get pedometers on ebay for very little money.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for verifying my math. I'd like to be able to figure it out for sure but there is no way for me to measure my stride verses the approx guide other than counting my step while on the treadmill and I'm sure by 100 I'd start loosing count or forget to keep counting....
    Is your office carpeted? carpet tiles are 60cm long/wide, acoustic ceiling tiles the same 60x60cm. Counting in either units (ie 45 carpet tiles) and multiply by the size. Anyway most people when walking normally never take big steps. But you can judge by other measurments. Like how far apart ar the light fixings, toe to toe measure one, and then just count the rest as you walk under them.
  • SpunkyTracyLynn
    Options
    For me 2500 steps is a mile..Im short so my stride is different from a tall person.. ;-)
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9' and it really depends upon the stride on particular days, in most cases 10,000 is slightly over 5 miles for me, I usually have to get about 11000 to hit 5 miles, but then again as noted it depends on the stride some days I stride longer than others depending upon how my legs and feet feel, etc...
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i just checked my fitbit stats and i'm at 5.15 miles with 12,335 steps.

i'm sure each person has a different "stride" but i'd say 5 miles and 10,000 steps is a good est.
  • thisisjl
    Options
    I've counted my stride and it actually comes to an average of 45 steps per circle so I've adjusted for the lesser steps and I'll probably throw in another .1 mile or so just for giggles if it's over it's over if it's short well I've walked around doing other stuff all night I'm sure I came pretty darn close.
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    pick up a pedometer you can get one for about $10. Pick one that does not have a reset button that is easy to hit by mistake. Pick one that you can set your stride. I had an omron ($28) but it was good calculated steps, distance approx calories burned and saved the last 7 days data. now I use the fitbit. But yes I have also read 10,000 steps =5 miles. not for me, but i guess i have a short stride!
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    For me 2500 steps is a mile..Im short so my stride is different from a tall person.. ;-)

That sounds nearer to me, 10,000 steps if your step is approx 2ft is about 4 miles.
  • curiousm_1
    Options
    will depend on your stride.get a pedometer and it will allow you to put in your stride and and count your steps and calculate your distance.mine comes out to about 5=10000 but i have a long stride
  • icedesign1
    icedesign1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sounds right to me, I went on a hike yesterday and I have a pedometer on my Iphone, I'm not sure how accurate it is with the step count but It had 9,432 steps for a five mile loop hike. I have a fairly long stride. I also walk on my lunch break and I can do just over a mile in 20-25 minutes. Good for a calorie burn between 120 and 140 calories. Every little bit helps and If you sit at a computer for 12 hours a day like I do, a half hour walk is a great way to stretch and get your blood flowing. Depending on what kind of company you work for, you might want to consider asking management if you can take one of your breaks along with your lunch to give you more time to work out so you have enough time to get that heart rate up. It has been my experience that employers are very encouraging in helping their employees be more healthy.
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Just measure it with a tape measure. Put one on the floor and measure from heel to heel with a usual step It's easy.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Yes this is true cause that is what my fit bit says when I reach 5 miles that I have walked 10,000 steps.
  • Cambrendle
    Cambrendle Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    not necessarily...

my exercise yesterday - 14,396 steps was 5.4 miles - with a 24 inch stride...

ETA: a mile is 63,360 inches - measure your stride then count your steps around the circle - you'll only have to do it twice to get an average - then just count how many laps you do - and then multiply your steps by your laps - multiple by your stride length (gives you inches traveled)- divide by 63,360 inches .... gives you miles traveled...

it you want it exact...