Help! Alcoholic weekend is approaching!

Options
124»

Replies

• sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Lol I don't understand why people are criticizing the OP. Some people like to get their drink on. If it's done safely and in moderation, what's the problem? Look at it like this, if you have to go to a birthday party and it's filled with cake, pizza, and delicious high calorie food galore it's almost impossible to not eat SOMETHING you shouldn't. Don't tell me you've never been around a piece of cake that was calling your name! It's not as easy as just NOT eating it. lol I feel the same way when I go out with my friends to bars or clubs. I'm not an alcoholic or anything, in fact I rarely drink but standing there completely sober while your friends are drinking and acting silly is NOT as fun as being tipsy with them lol. That's why everyone fights over who has to be the DD!! haha but I guess going out and drinking with friends isn't for everyone but don't judge those who do as long as they are doing it responsibly!!

ANYWAY, on to my advice haha if you're making drinks yourself, I always go for crystal light and vodka. I've been buying Voli vodka lately. It's lower calorie than other vodkas. I believe its around 45 calories for 1 ounce. If I'm going out to a bar my go to drinks are vodka soda with lemon or diet coke and rum. However, the key is not to get DRUNKKKKK because the next thing you know you're going to be gulping down 200 calorie strawberry mango margaritas and eating cheesy nachos and onion rings lol Believe me, it has happened to me WAAAAAAY too many times!!!
  • tretheb
    tretheb Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20500479,00.html

here are some "supposedly" low cal drinks i had on a Pinterest board ... I personally drink whiskey and coke so i learned to put it out of my mind ... i do have to watch the leisure drinking cause it can catch up to my rear end and sneak up on me and then by that time i am noticing in all the summer pictures....
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I know you said you're a beer drinker, but as someone else pointed out, beer is the worst alcohol to drink while trying to lose weight. Try vodka mixed with soda water. You can even use flavored vodka and/or flavored soda water to give it some extra flavor.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    clear liquor and diet mixer is your best option
    at very least clear liquor and oj
    Avoid cranberry juice at bars because it is usually cranberry cocktail which is higher in sugar.

dark liquors are generally higher in calories and some studies show that they can cause worse dehydration/hangover effects due to the aging process and impurities (primarily from the barrels aged in) I don't know how much weight I really give those studies but I have seen them and if your like me hangover=junk food=lots of calories = weight gain.

I always rotate between alcoholic drink and water when I go out and just use the excuse that I don't want to be hungover so no one thinks I'm being a stick in the mud and I drink the water as slowly as I can so that I'm not drinking as many empty calories.
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    just count what you drink then burn after enjoy
  • mizzleslie7
    Options
    When im out with my friends ill have a vodka with light cranberry or gin and tonic the tonic water has no calories. Hope this helps I know how you feel!
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm with you love my heavier beers. :smile: What if you had a beer then drank an ice water in between? Or even like one suggested a citrus vodka (that could be delish)! Make sure you eat. The weight you are gaining is mainly water weight - your body retains it with alchohol. Have a fun and safe weekend with your friends!!! :bigsmile:
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    First things first--the OP didn't ask if she shouldn't drink, or how to "just say no." If you're gonna comment, why not help her with the question she asked, which was "what are the best options to drink?" It's like me stating I want to drive cross-country as my vacation, asking what’s the best route for cheap gas prices because I'm on a budget, and people saying "If you're on a budget, why are you driving so far? Just stay home and relax there." That's not what was asked :explode: Sorry, it just really irks me :grumble: ....

Anyway, OP, I don't really have specific drink recommendations for you because I'm a baby when it comes to drinking :laugh: . I hate beer, wine, and straight shots/neat drinks. I'm the one that drinks the dreaded expensive and high calorie/high sugar/almost-guaranteed-hangover mixed drinks like frozen margaritas and sex on the beach. Thankfully I rarely go out to drink!!

The advice I DO have for you (which others have mentioned) is to drink water (or diet soda if you must) in between your alcoholic drinks. Not only will it keep you hydrated, but you'll get full quicker (less total drinks consumed) and it will help to flush all the crap out of your body. It may also help with the post-drinking bloating and water retention. And of course, enjoy yourself! :drinker:

If you are going to watch your calories those days, please do not forgo nutrition in order to have some calories. Make sure you get enough healthy protein, carbs, fiber and calories those days. Your body still needs that even if you go over on your calories. If you go over due to the drinks, so be it. In the grand scheme of things, it is just a blip like another commenter posted. Unless you consume 3500 extra calories (on top of your regular daily intake) you will not gain a pound of fat. Exercise this weekend, drink lots of water, and ignore the scale for a week. If you can't ignore it, then at least when you weigh yourself make sure to be mindful that it is just water weight and bloat. Don't let the scale bring you down next week!:heart:
  • susieqa6699
    susieqa6699 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    "When im out with my friends ill have a vodka with light cranberry or gin and tonic the tonic water has no calories" - sorry mizzleslie7 that isn't true.....TONIC WATER is full of calories - SODA WATER is not - Gin and tonic with lime rocks......not so much for Gin and soda
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    As other posters have mentioned gaining 4-5 lbs from a bad weekend is nearly impossible.

I have a similar situation coming up next week and I plan to make sure to get a good workout in during the morning, stick to the lighter calorie drinks (MGD 64 or vodka w/ diet tonic and lime) and have a really freakin' good time. When you're out, go to a place with dancing (calorie burn!) and walk between places (no drinking and driving and some calorie burn!).
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    "When im out with my friends ill have a vodka with light cranberry or gin and tonic the tonic water has no calories" - sorry missleslie7 that isn't true.....TONIC WATER is full of calories - SODA WATER is not - Gin and tonic with lime rocks......not so much for Gin and soda

Tonic has nearly the same calories as Coke, diet tonic has zero. In my experience, diet tonic is difficult to find in bars so I agree, soda is a good way to go.
  • scubalynnie
    scubalynnie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a beer drinker too! I have switched to Captain and diet coke or Orange Cream Vodka and diet orange soda (tastes like a dreamsicle :-). )
  • wilson1024
    wilson1024 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Segram's Extra Smooth Vodka and Orange Sunrise Crystal Lite :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    First things first--the OP didn't ask if she shouldn't drink, or how to "just say no." If you're gonna comment, why not help her with the question she asked, which was "what are the best options to drink?" It's like me stating I want to drive cross-country as my vacation, asking what’s the best route for cheap gas prices because I'm on a budget, and people saying "If you're on a budget, why are you driving so far? Just stay home and relax there." That's not what was asked :explode: Sorry, it just really irks me :grumble: ....

This.

Thank you.

I thought this was supposed to be a non-judgmental forum? The poster asked for options, not a guilt trip and a counseling session. Geez.

My biggest weakness is wine. My boyfriend and I love good wine and we often share a bottle with dinner several times a week. I've been trying to manage exercise to account for the 2.5 glasses on a bottle split. I also try to drink red for its health benefits.

That said, I'm still young and I still like to go out and live it up with friends. My go to drink is vodka and club with lime. Tequila is also a good one. A skinny girl margarita is a 2 count of clear, premium tequila, juice from 1/2 lime and a splash of grand marnier.

Cheers!
  • Jbirch76
    Jbirch76 Posts: 34
    Options
    If i'm looking to drink light

Kettle/diet tonic/slice of lime/ice..... Mmmmmm!!

My go to, crown on ice. Mmmm mmmmm mmmmm!!

If I'm cheating, crown and ginger. OMG mmmmm!!

Have a great weekend, I know I will. :happy:
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm going camping this weekend and it's going to be hot so I'll be drinking. But I'll be having:

Low cal beer (in Canada there is Molson 67 - only 70cals!)
    mojitos made with splenda and club soda - only cals will be the rum!
    100 cal coolers (YUM!)

I'm planning on drinking a bottle of water between each alcoholic drink too so I don't get too wasted! LOL

I agree - no drinking is no fun. But have a balanced approach to it. Good luck! :)
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    How much do you drink that you gain 4-5 pounds from it?? Seems like it would take an awful lot to do that much damage. Maybe I'm the weird one,though....I have "a" beer when I go out, or maybe 2 glasses of wine.

Also, isn't someone generally given "designated driver" duty? Why can't that be your job if you're worried about weight gain from the alcohol?
  • hayleeannie
    hayleeannie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My go to is vodka soda with lemon and lime. Light, refreshing, and about 130 cals for TWO!