Weight loss pills????

Options

Replies

• NKolhar
    NKolhar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Would stay away from those pills and really ???? you do not even look fat , forget Obese to loose that much body fat % just to double check that he realizes ask him how many kilos is that !! u will be surprised ( if you want I can find that out as a rough estimate if I get ur height and weight) but there is no way you have to loose 25% body fat .
    “Orlistat (prescription and nonprescription) is used with an individualized low-calorie, low-fat diet and exercise program to help people lose weight. Prescription orlistat is used in overweight people who may also have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, or heart disease. Orlistat is also used after weight-loss to help people keep from gaining back that weight. Orlistat is in a class of medications called lipase inhibitors. It works by preventing some of the fat in foods eaten from being absorbed in the intestines. This unabsorbed fat is then removed from the body in the stool.”
    Doesn’t even mention low BP I check in two other sites,including MDmedical and Check out the pills side effects as well. Like someone else mentioned he might deff be endorsing the pill. You have already lost so much weight maintaining a healthy diet I wouldn’t bother about the Pills. I was adviced by a doc for some steroid medicines for high Cholestrol and fatty liver acid it took me a month without any of those damn pills to get rid of that …my remedy workouts and good cardio.
    Deff double check with some one else if your are even thinking about those pills and calculate ur Body fat % first ! In my Opinion there is no need for the pills and 25% Body fat is highly exaggerated for you.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    Tests suggest that it helps, but by around an extra 5lbs over a year. So weigh in whether that's worth it.

also worth noting that fat in food doesn't = fat in body. It works by essentially lowering the calories you're taking in by however much fat was in them. Since fat is necessary, I can't see this being a great way to go.

If an extra 0.5lbs a month is worth anal leakage then knock yourself out :sick:

^^This. Fat doesn't make you fat, calories do. Too much fat is unhealthy, but you don't need pills to lose weight. You can do this with watching your food intake and working out. And you will not be changing your drawers constantly :laugh:
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    How did he determine that you have 25% BF to LOSE? That number seems very high to me.

There is nothing wrong with questioning a doctor or getting a second opinion.

^^ this. judging by your pictures, i don't see where you could have that much body fat that needs to go. that's a big number and you seem to be an average sized woman based on your pictures. even at my highest weight with my BMI in the 40s, i was never prescribed diet pills.
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    They'll make the world fall out of your *kitten*....
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    This drives me nuts! No, don't take the pills.
    Learn how to eat a balanced diet. No pill, miracle cure, or fad diet is going to work if you haven't developed the tools to change your eating habits. My guess, you'll eat the same and when you go off the meds the weight will all come back. You can take the easy road or do the right thing. Simple as that.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, completely off topic, but can you please come cook for me sometime? I am checking out your diary and all the homemade Indian food is making my tummy rumbly.
  • HondaGuy30102
    Options
    I explored these and other pills before deciding to do it the hard way. Please do some research - but I will share with you my biggest concern wtih alli (orlistat). It blocks only 25 percent of fat calories from a meal so in other words leave the last bite on your plate and thats probably all it really stops calorie wise but but but...... it does stop alot of vitamen absortion which is a massive concern to me.
    ****ting my pants in public was also not a good trade off for only 1/4 of the fat calories from a meal being blocked, but the vitamen absortion issue is for real. Just something to think about as well, the box mentioned liver and kidney failure but hey they say it rarely occured and only caused death lol.... Hmmm I think I'd rather take my chances being fat
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Oh and anal leakage, loose stool, stomach discomfort, rectum pain are pretty big indications that it is NOT healthy...
  • HondaGuy30102
    Options
    oh come on lect, who doesn't want anal leakage, vitamen deficiancy, rectum pain and kidney failure lol :).
  • knackarsch
    knackarsch Posts: 53
    Options
    One Dieter's Story

Lisa Sutter, who lives in suburban Washington D.C., credits Belviq with helping her lose 40 pounds.

Sutter took the drug for a year during the clinical trial, and she says it changed her relationship with food.

At the FDA hearing in May, Sutter told the panel that she gained weight after her children were born and found it impossible to lose it before enrolling in the trial.
    One Dieter's Story continued...

"When I was on the drug I was able to stick to a 1,500- or 1,600-calorie-a-day diet without feeling hungry," she told WebMD. "And when I ate more than I planned to, I felt uncomfortably full, which is not something that I was used to."

Sutter was switched to the placebo arm of the study in her second year of enrollment and the weight started to creep back on.

She now weighs 30 pounds more than she did before enrolling in the trial and she says she plans to go back on the drug as soon as she can.

"I'm not saying this drug is the answer for everyone, but it worked well for me," she says.

Sounds great, where do I sign up? I'd like to lose 40 pounds just to gain 70! She weighs 30 pounds more than she did before ever taking that drug, and she's the success story they picked? No thanks!
  • runningk919
    runningk919 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If the doctor advised you to use them, then they must be right for you. The important thing is to get into an aerobic excersise NOW. I think it takes discipline to lose weight. A change of eating habits. Pills may help with weight loss, but to keep it off, it takes changing your eating habits and excersize!!

Doctors do NOT necessarily recomment prescriptions solely on your needs. Doctors get kick backs for recommending products and prescribing them to clients; it's sad and scary to think about but you absolutely have to find a doctor that is truly concerned with what you need as a patient and not what he needs as a professional/business man. Every time you fill a prescription that doctor gets a set $ amount back from the drug company as an advertising kick back basically.

I went to a small weight loss clinic and used Phentermine to jump start my weight loss. I lost 23% body fat in about 5 months and am still losing. I no longer take any medications and work out daily along with a healthy diet. Sometimes they are motivation to get you started and help you through the hard beginnings when you want is junk food! good luck :)
  • Rilke
    Options
    One Dieter's Story

Lisa Sutter, who lives in suburban Washington D.C., credits Belviq with helping her lose 40 pounds.

Sutter took the drug for a year during the clinical trial, and she says it changed her relationship with food.

At the FDA hearing in May, Sutter told the panel that she gained weight after her children were born and found it impossible to lose it before enrolling in the trial.

"When I was on the drug I was able to stick to a 1,500- or 1,600-calorie-a-day diet without feeling hungry," she told WebMD. "And when I ate more than I planned to, I felt uncomfortably full, which is not something that I was used to."

Sutter was switched to the placebo arm of the study in her second year of enrollment and the weight started to creep back on.

She now weighs 30 pounds more than she did before enrolling in the trial and she says she plans to go back on the drug as soon as she can.

"I'm not saying this drug is the answer for everyone, but it worked well for me," she says.

Sounds great, where do I sign up? I'd like to lose 40 pounds just to gain 70! She weighs 30 pounds more than she did before ever taking that drug, and she's the success story they picked? No thanks!

WOW, just wow. Every day I think nothing about the media will surprise me any more, then something does. How is this a success story? How did it work well for her? Why don't schools teach basic critical thinking skills?
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Orlistat is Alli. I have used Alli on and off for about 8 months and have been quite satisfied with it. I didn't have any of the nasty side effects that it warns you because I followed my plan to the T. I guess maybe I needed that fear to follow thru with my lower fat intake. There have been days where I have been over on my fat intake but luckily no anal leakage. I also found that on the months that I did take Alli, on average I lost an extra 4lbs than on those months when I was off.

GL with your journey.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    One Dieter's Story

WOW, just wow. Every day I think nothing about the media will surprise me any more, then something does. How is this a success story? How did it work well for her? Why don't schools teach basic critical thinking skills?

The point is that it worked when she was on the drug, then she came off it and put it back on.

On the drug - weight loss

off the drug - weight gain

They want you to stay on the drug...
  • katoabes
    katoabes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    But you're only 75kg??
  • Rilke
    Options
    The point is that it worked when she was on the drug, then she came off it and put it back on.

On the drug - weight loss

off the drug - weight gain

They want you to stay on the drug...

No kidding. You stay on the drug, they get your moneys. But this is quite clearly not a success story for the dieter. It is a splendid success story for the company marketing this crap.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    The advice on exercise your doctor gave you was sound...my doctor recommended at least and hour's worth of exercise daily too. The advice he gave you on the pills is not. You simply do not need orlistat to lose weight. You don't. If I were you I would seek a second opinion. Doctors are not infallible, and many DO get paid for prescribing certain drugs. If I were you I would ask him flat out: Do you get a paid/get a kickback for prescribing orlistat? I would also ask him why he thinks you need to lose 25% body fat. Really?? That is extremely high.

At any rate this drug seems to block only 1/4 of the fat you consume. You could simply change your diet to consume 1/4 less fat in the first place. Right? Then you won't have to worry about all the nasty side effects of that drug.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    my god...

i am so confused.... he is my family doctor why would he do anything like endorsing a medicine.
    i think i can look for another opinion before starting anything..

weight gain????? does weight really creep back.. i have never taken any shortcuts in life. and with dese pills i feel as if um taking a shortcut to weight loss.
    if weight has to creep back i rather loose it slow..but will make sure i didnt do it the wrong way..

anal leakage???? my god i dont want a problem like tat.. .

Doctors get all sorts of stuff for pushing particular medicines - I know one personally who is always getting weekends away in high-class hotels and stuff paid for by the drugs industry to encourage him to push their stuff and reward him for recomending particular brands.

This. And Doctors, even the best of them, are not well versed in nuitrition and diet.
  • KerriMx5
    KerriMx5 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Not sure but I am surprised. I am over weight and have some other issues. My doc told me slow and steady. Get off my tail and get moving. Eat better. I would get a second opinion.
  • dorothyhiggin
    Options
    It took me about a year of indecision and research before I decided to buy generic alli pills- my main worries included whether this drug will work for me or not? how will be side effects etc. Alli made look skinnier than ever. I also controlled my calorie intake while i was taking them. I went from 140 to 125.