Mid 40's male here to trying to lose 140lbs...

Options
Uggg, how did I get here? I know, I know, I put myself here :smile: I was always lean / muscular growing up, had a paper route, always busy riding bikes, skateboards, walking all over, plenty of good exercise. It all started once I got my drivers license & started working in a pizzaria at the end of highschool. I put on 50lbs in one year 17-18. All forms of exercise stopped once I got my car, add the constant grazing in the pizzaria, no wonder 50 lbs went on fast. I never shook that weight & to tell the truth, I didn't mind it, I didn't feel small or scrawny with some extra bulk, being only 5'8".

With a change of work, easier work, more weight came on in my 30's, I was now 250-260lbs. I felt fine, blah,blah, blah...

2009 dead economy, sitting home a lot, eating out of boredom & comfort I gained more. I needed back surgery (fusion) 10/09 I was 263lbs. After the surgery I walked 1-3 miles a day for a few months to heal, but that got real old so I stopped. 2011 I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnia and got on cpap. The cpap really works, it's made a HUGE difference in how I feel all day long. But here I am with high blood preasure & colestrole ( controled with meds), but it's there. Now I'm at around 306, I was at 315lb a month ago before I started working everyday again.

Now my kness are killing me, they never did before. It's murder working all day up and down ladders & stairs all day long. I can't do it with out one Advil in the morning, one doesn't cover all of it, just makes it bareable.

So, for the simple fact that my knees are now telling (screaming) enoughs, enough, I have to drop this weight now.

I've started to have one zone bar for breakfast, one for lunch and one for an afternoon snack. I'll then do a "sensable" dinner.

The weight's not coming off now like I use to be able to drop 20-40 lbs in the past, it stubborn.

But I'm here now, hopefully all the way to the goal weight of 170 lbs.

Replies

• tanmarbar73
    Options
    Hi! I'm turning 39 next month. I've always struggled with my weight. As I get older, I've found that EVERYTHING hurts ( not just my knees ). I have roughly 146 lbs to lose to make my doctor happy. Feel free to add me if you want a buddy!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Good luck. You'll find tons of support here! Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • onewhodiets
    onewhodiets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Your story strikes some familiar chords. I started my gradual weight gain in my mid twenties, when I got a car and stopped doing everything via public transit ( carrying all those groceries up stairs and for city blocks added up - little did I realize it at the time, though!). However, it looks like you have thought the whole sorry process through and I have every confidence that you can reverse it, because it is soooo worth it and much easier than ever before with tools like MFP. Good luck!
  • Mememone
    Mememone Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It took time to put it on and now will take time to take it off. But... with patience and learning a whole new way of eating and being more physical it will come off. You are that right place!! With friends in the same predicament for support you can do it. It's a good start.
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    Good luck.
  • George_NJ
    George_NJ Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the welcome! It sure is much better trying to do this with others out there in cyber land & this cool website, than trying it again all on my own. The food, weight counter is really a neat tool.

The pic I posted in my avitar is one of the few pics of me & one that I hated seeing, but I kept it. Even so, that was about 50 pounds, lighter 3 year ago.
  • curiousm_1
    Options
    gets harder to take it off as you get older.muscles ache more but as you take it off and build muscle it starts to feel better.i have found that i eat my calories but do a lot more exercise.my wife and i walk at least 40 min every day.i have been doing wii fit and that seems to help a lot and its actually fun .plugging in my food here has really given my an eye opening.started watching my salt on it to. used walking over 5 miles a day and watching what i eat to lose 75 pounds a few years ago.this time i have lost 25 and feeling a lot more healthy.good luck
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP! You came to the right place. I just started out here recently and the support has been wonderful. Feel free to add me.
  • SteveCabral94
    SteveCabral94 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Add me if like. This site and everyone here are great, we are all on the same mission to better ourselves and help others.
  • rattiespots
    rattiespots Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you are an inspiration! keep it up.:happy:
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options
    Looks like you and I started out in the same boat and docked at the same port. I was finally able to get off my cholesterol and blood pressure meds just recently, not to mention that I also got my blood sugar back down to normal. You can friend me, we seem to have a lot in common.