Getting close....

Options
I am running a 10 mile race 3 weeks from this Sunday.
I had a mental goal of 30lbs lost before the race....and as you can see I still have 3 lbs to go.
I know that 1lb per week is (or was) obtainable, but I am almost near my ultimate goal of 32 lbs lost (5lbs to go), so my weight loss has slowed as time goes on. I'm still eating well and working out everyday.

So does any one have any suggestions on how I can lose those 3 lbs and not negatively affect my performance on race day?

Replies

• bellaburch85
    Options
    BUMP!
    Ive been at the same weight for 4 weeks now - 2 pounds away from goal!!!! ;0(
    so i cant help but im hoping some1 can thats been there!

Good luck with your race - 27Lb is great well done! xx
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    you have done so marvelously well,that is just unreal! Keep up your training for the race,after all what is 3lbs in the grand scheme of things? you will loose it but dont let it put a damper on your good work!well well done!
  • derekherrell
    Options
    Sprints, sprints, and more sprints. I don't know how many times you are training per week. But if you replace a few runs with sprint sessions, you will not only shock your body into burning faster, you will develop a deeper anaerobic threshold. (great for racing) Its a win win for your weight loss goal and for your race goal.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Sprints, sprints, and more sprints. I don't know how many times you are training per week. But if you replace a few runs with sprint sessions, you will not only shock your body into burning faster, you will develop a deeper anaerobic threshold. (great for racing) Its a win win for your weight loss goal and for your race goal.

Thanks everyone for your support and words of encouragement. I really appreciate them.

Derek, I've been doing sprints - avg about 12 - 20 second sprints at the end of my runs. I run 5 times a week. Not every run do I do sprints but at least a couple of times a week I do them
    How many, what duration, and how many times a week do you suggest?
  • derekherrell
    Options
    I'm definitely not a professional on this but I can let you know what helped me and what I do. Sprinting at the end of runs is great. A lot of people don't have the guts to do it. My suggestion is that if you are running 5x per week, replace 2 of those with sprints only. It will be less miles on your legs getting close to race time and give you more energy to push through longer sprints. I vary my sprints up, if outside I may do 4x800m or 5-6x400m. Its only a few miles but towards the end you are grasping for breath. If I'm working inside on a treadmill it is really easy, I run 1 min on and rest for 30. You can keep the belt going at your sprint pace and just jump off the belt onto the side rails to rest, then start again. The time is right in front of you. On these I will push to fatigue, which a lot of people disagree with since there is no set goal, but if you know your body then you will know when to quit.
    If you can run 10 miles then you should be able to push your sprints longer than 20 sec. you just need the energy to do it. That is why I recommend doing them solo without a long training run. It's hard to do while calorie counting because you may only do a total of 1.5-2 miles, which isn't a whole lot of calories burned. But when you push your body into that anaerobic mode it burns more calories then, and later when your body is recovering. Sprinting is to running as running is to walking, it burns ALOT more calories. Hope this helps :)
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not a professional on this but I can let you know what helped me and what I do. Sprinting at the end of runs is great. A lot of people don't have the guts to do it. My suggestion is that if you are running 5x per week, replace 2 of those with sprints only. It will be less miles on your legs getting close to race time and give you more energy to push through longer sprints. I vary my sprints up, if outside I may do 4x800m or 5-6x400m. Its only a few miles but towards the end you are grasping for breath. If I'm working inside on a treadmill it is really easy, I run 1 min on and rest for 30. You can keep the belt going at your sprint pace and just jump off the belt onto the side rails to rest, then start again. The time is right in front of you. On these I will push to fatigue, which a lot of people disagree with since there is no set goal, but if you know your body then you will know when to quit.
    If you can run 10 miles then you should be able to push your sprints longer than 20 sec. you just need the energy to do it. That is why I recommend doing them solo without a long training run. It's hard to do while calorie counting because you may only do a total of 1.5-2 miles, which isn't a whole lot of calories burned. But when you push your body into that anaerobic mode it burns more calories then, and later when your body is recovering. Sprinting is to running as running is to walking, it burns ALOT more calories. Hope this helps :)

I'll give it a try. Thanks for your help.