two scales, which do I trust?

Options
Hey,
my family has had this one digital scale for awhile now, and I usually trusted it, it seemed pretty accurate. But recently my mom just bought this newer scale, and its all glass and higher-tech looking and it gives me some pretty different numbers; about a lb and a half less. (I know that may not seem much to some, but to me it makes a difference).

I was going to ask, which scale should I trust? the new one which tells me I weight less (which although is relieving to see, I want to be realistic here), or the one that is a bit older, but tells me I weigh slightly more?

thanks~

Replies

• sharhappy
    sharhappy Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi For me I just stick with one scale.That way I know when I'm losing. The number isn't that important just your progress.Good luck!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Speaking of scales, I need to find a good one. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i have a new glass scale and and its very accurate.. changed doctors recently and had to a fill a form with weight etc and the doc said my scales must be excellent as they had my weight almost spot on so id go with the new scales for sure from now on
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Speaking of scales, I need to find a good one. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    mine are salter and are very good indeed. no matter where you place them you get the same weight1
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'd honestly stick with the old scale. I had bought myself a "fancy" scale that did the body fat, hydration etc. and every single time I stepped on it it gave me a different reading, and we're talking within SECONDS. It also said I weighed a lot more than my tried and true digital scale (which I do think is accurate because it's only a couple of pounds less than the dr's scale). So I returned the fancy scale and kept the one that gave me the most accurate readings.

The scale I have is a cheapo Denise Austin brand. I've had it for quite a few years now.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Pick ONE ..... stick with that one all the time. Scales are not that great anyway .... measuring tapes are better.

Re scales - you will weigh more at night than in the morning. You will weigh more if you had a higher sodium meal recently. You will weigh more at certain times of the month (women). You will weigh more the day (or so) after strenuous exercise. .....Don't stress over it.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Trust the one that says you're lighter, of course! :laugh:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    mine are salter and are very good indeed. no matter where you place them you get the same weight1

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out!
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I can understand why you are asking. If your BMR TDEE etc are based upon your current weight, if your current scales are weighing heavy there is a potential that your calorie targets are a bit too high and you may not achieve the loss you expect.

The impact on your calorie targets should be marginal because you are probably talking about 1% weight difference. However if you are at all concerned find the biggest thing that you know the precise weight of, like weights and put them on both sets of scales. The set that shows the least variation from the test weight is the set to use.

Failing that, then find someone whose scales are calibrated, like your doctor or even local pharmacy or some drugstores and weigh yourself there, then get home and try again. Again the set that are closest to your calibrated weight are the set to use.

But I stress again, I probably wouldn't worry about it and another posters comment that you stick with the set that you have always used because of the consistency is absolutely spot on.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Go with the newer scale, it's probably more accurate. I have a bowflex scale that measure BF%, and it says I'm about 3lbs lighter than the cheap scale I was using before.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Neither! Trust in how your clothes are fitting, how you are feeling, trust in the measuring tape and trust in how much better you are looking! :bigsmile:
  • Dreamdrift
    Options
    I just checked both brands; the newer one is 'Home-Medics', the other one is 'Healtho'Meter'

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Product.asp?SKU=16814881

http://www.amazon.com/Health-Meter-HDL205KD-01-Digital-Scale/dp/B0014JY994/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1340978603&sr=8-31&keywords=health+o+meter+scale

I guess the older one was better haha, anyway thanks guys, I think i'll trust the Healthometer.
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I put my 3lb weights on it and go by the lb up or down it reads.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    works for me!!!!!
    And don't get anything too fancy. All you need to know is how much you weigh.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

I agree
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I just checked both brands; the newer one is 'Home-Medics', the other one is 'Healtho'Meter'

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Product.asp?SKU=16814881

http://www.amazon.com/Health-Meter-HDL205KD-01-Digital-Scale/dp/B0014JY994/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1340978603&sr=8-31&keywords=health+o+meter+scale

I guess the older one was better haha, anyway thanks guys, I think i'll trust the Healthometer.

I read the reviews on the new one, it seems like everyone says it is junk. I would trust the old one
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    NEITHER.... try on a pair of pants to see if they have become loose... scales do not offer the most accurate weight loss picture!
  • Dreamdrift
    Options
    I can understand why you are asking. If your BMR TDEE etc are based upon your current weight, if your current scales are weighing heavy there is a potential that your calorie targets are a bit too high and you may not achieve the loss you expect.

Actually, my intake goals are just right; i've been losing weight efficiently this week alone, but thank you.
    I put my 3lb weights on it and go by the lb up or down it reads.

thats a good idea, I think i'll try that, thanks!

I read the reviews on the new one, it seems like everyone says it is junk. I would trust the old one

yup, thats what I got from it too, I'll be doing that from now on. Goes to show right? Not everything new is better.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have a healthometer and it is exacly 1lb different than the doctors office and has been for three years.