Gym pet peeves take two:

Options
Creepy guys who always go on the machines behind you as soon as you get on a machine cause they want to stare at your *kitten*...ehhh :grumble:

Replies

• loritas
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve are those people who just camp out, sit and socialize on a strength training machines. Not actually working out.:mad:
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    so that is wrong? JK:laugh:
  • igmom
    igmom Posts: 90
    Options
    I have a million. Yesterday though, I notice a guy who entered the locker room in street clothes with a big gym bag, and then exited the locker room about 15 minutes later in different street clothes with wet hair. Apparently, he showers at the gym to save on his utilities regardless of whether he works out.
  • sweetgl
    sweetgl Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Leave it to a man to say that haha
  • loritas
    Options
    It is when you're waiting for a machine. So you go over and ask them when they will be done and they do like 2 reps and continue to camp out there for another 30 minutes LOL
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve are those people who just camp out, sit and socialize on a strength training machines. Not actually working out.:mad:

God I hate that!

My pet peeve is people talking on their cell phone while on a cardio machine or exercising in general. No one wants to hear your conversation. Take it to the lobby / outside, please.
  • Kait_liiin
    Kait_liiin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When there are 10 cardio machines available all in a row, with equal access to TVs and fans... and somebody hops on the one right beside you.

I understand there are rules for guys about not peeing in a urinal right next to someone. I would like similar rules to be adpated to the gym....
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    There really are no rules per se on that Kait, however just an unwritten guy code to not crowd in that particular environment.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Because of my current unemployed status, I go to the local park district fitness center. Some park districts have build huge new facilities--but this ain't one of them. What it lacks in glitz, it makes up for in price--with my "active senior" discount, it's $15 a month,which is 1/4 of what I was paying before.

One guy who comes regularly has got to be in his mid 70s. He comes in a puts on a weight belt and then goes to each machine and does his thing. He does one set (with too much weight and horrible form) and then sits and yaks to the other old geezer behind the check in desk for 5 min, then does another, and so on.

Sometimes it's frustrating, because there is only one lat pulldown and it interrupts the flow of my routine. On the other hand, it's obvious he needs the social contact and even the bad lifting he does is helpful to some extent, so I just work around him.
  • MarshJulie1989
    Options
    The shouters! And grunters!
    Drives me bonkers. Guy on the treadmill that lets out a "Hoo-Ah" or the dude on weights that is moaning and groaning and clanking the weights. Drives me crazy.

WEIGHT LIFTERS - you should be silent. We shouldn't know you are even there. If you are clanking the weights it means you do not have positive control of the weights, which means you aren't working out effectively.

RUNNERS/CARDIO - I don't give two ****s if you just ran fifty miles or if this little uphill sprint is REALLY HARD. No one wants to hear from you.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    You're kidding, right?

""WEIGHT LIFTERS - you should be silent. We shouldn't know you are even there. If you are clanking the weights it means you do not have positive control of the weights, which means you aren't working out effectively. ""

Huh? That's tongue in cheek, right?

If you are in complete control of everything at all times then you are not training to failure. I stop lifting a load when I physically cannot lift it any more. If that takes more then 6-8 repetitions then I know to use more weight next time. By definition, there will be some clanking. I'm not a jerk about it, I don't drop stuff and I'm not a screamer, but I do grunt a bit as I strain. It's a weight room,,,

<<Remembering again why I train at home>>
  • Meghan0129
    Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Machine hoggers: the guy/gal that has decided that the machines they are cycling though should not be used by others inbetween thier sets.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    While I totally understand the point of cleaning the machines when done.....

.... the cleaners provided by gyms I've been to make me wheeze. When I'm running on the treadmill and the person beside me sprays down their machine, I have to be very aware of my breathing to ensure I don't have an asthma attack.

That's my gym pet peeve -- stinky cleaners.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I have a million. Yesterday though, I notice a guy who entered the locker room in street clothes with a big gym bag, and then exited the locker room about 15 minutes later in different street clothes with wet hair. Apparently, he showers at the gym to save on his utilities regardless of whether he works out.

Maybe his shower at home wasn't working or he was getting his bathroom renovated. I have done that when we had a leak in our plumbing at home
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    You're kidding, right?

""WEIGHT LIFTERS - you should be silent. We shouldn't know you are even there. If you are clanking the weights it means you do not have positive control of the weights, which means you aren't working out effectively. ""

Huh? That's tongue in cheek, right?

If you are in complete control of everything at all times then you are not training to failure. I stop lifting a load when I physically cannot lift it any more. If that takes more then 6-8 repetitions then I know to use more weight next time. By definition, there will be some clanking. I'm not a jerk about it, I don't drop stuff and I'm not a screamer, but I do grunt a bit as I strain. It's a weight room,,,

<<Remembering again why I train at home>>

I work out to failure as well and I am breathing loudly and have been known to emit the odd grunt. My husband, who uses a lot heavier weights grunts a lot louder. My trainer says he sounds like he needs more fibre :laugh:
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    people taking their sweet *kitten* time on machines

If they are actually working out that is one thing. But talking on the phone between reps...cmon

thats why I quit the gym and built my home gym........I love it.
  • Nikki_Z
    Options
    Workout Barbies. Can't stand them. I never look good when I work out. If you want to look pretty for the boys and not sweat, go out to a bar.

On another note: I work at a gym. The machines are supposed to be wiped down, not sprayed. That's why the HRM on the cardio machines never work!
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    At Bally the pool is on the first floor, the cardio on the second floor. My pet peeve are the swimmers who don't wear any footwear and I have to be extra careful not to slip on the water on the floor.

Doug
  • CashVerde
    CashVerde Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Workout Barbies. Can't stand them. I never look good when I work out. If you want to look pretty for the boys and not sweat, go out to a bar.

LOL @ Workout Barbies. Sooooo true though.
  • tracylp
    Options
    Mine is also when people crowd on the row of cardio. I will go out of my way to be alone and low and behold a chatty set camp right next to me.