HELP ME

Options
I am NOT losing anything! And I'm not just gaining muscle and losing fat. I tried on a shirt this morning that I haven't worn since I started MFP and the sleeves were too tight! I'm not exaggerating. This is actually distressing. I am 100% honest with all my logging, and I've stopped eating crap, and I've started eating well, and I walk as many places as possible.
I've been with MFP for about 20 weeks and I'm exactly where I started, if not higher!
I thought it was the contraceptive pill that casued me to gain so much weight in the last year, but I went off it shortly after MFP and I've continued to gain/stay the same.
Obviously, I could be doing harder/more cardio, but even so, right now I'm doing so much more than I was while I was gaining, and more walking than ever. I'm also doing at least the same amount as I'd been doing for the past 4 years where my weight wasn't really an issue (before I gained 10kg).
I'm absolutely at the end of my rope. Please help, someone.

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    If your photo is what you look like currently, you don't have much to lose. Are you eating back your exercise calories?

Opening your diary would help anyone who wants to give you advice.
  • zhanaolivia
    Options
    Yes, it is. I have at least 10kgs to lose, and maybe I'm wrong, but that seems like so much. I don't really do that much full on exercise. I'm very busy right now, so I've just been trying to walk everywhere to get as much as I can in. Believe it or not, walking is usually faster than the bus.. So that means I don't have much room to eat back calories.
    Diary is open now, didn't realise it was closed before, sorry.
    Would appreciate any help!
  • amhnmiller
    Options
    How does one open up the diary....new to program and have heard this several times. Please advise. Thanks.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    How does one open up the diary....new to program and have heard this several times. Please advise. Thanks.

You have to go to settings at the top of the page. Click on that and then click on Diary Settings. You can now change your diary to be open to the public/just your friends/no one or to be made accessible to people who have a password that you set up.
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You look awesome in your picture, to start off. Sorry...I'm slow with "kg" so, is 10kg only 10lbs? I've been on MFP only a short time, but let me tell you my own journey experience with weight loss. I've been doing it for over 2 years. I've lost 58lbs, but it took 2 years. I have plateaued until now. I had to see where things went wrong. I think it is that I myself was not eating enough after having exercised so many calories away from my daily needs. I could be wrong, only be back faithfully to MFP for almost a week, but weighing myself daily (not good...but for myself research)....and I've slowly moved the scale.

Maybe you have to look at the diary with other people's help and boost a little cardio in your need? Just a recommendation. Something has to be changed to boost you...not sure. I'm sorry I am of no help..
  • baileyew27
    baileyew27 Posts: 18
    Options
    http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/women-running-into-trouble/

this helps with women. I feel the same way. I have been on here for 3 months and well I have only lost 7lbs. but this is a journey and each day is different. We all make good and bad choices. Also try drinking a gallon of water for 5 days and that will help eliminate some of the water weight you might be carrying around. And try not to eat a lot of sodium. its hard, but it might help you drop those lbs.

good luck!
  • amhnmiller
    Options
    Thank you so much!!!
  • amhnmiller
    Options
    Thank you so much!!!

You have to go to settings at the top of the page. Click on that and then click on Diary Settings. You can now change your diary to be open to the public/just your friends/no one or to be made accessible to people who have a password that you set up.
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    Your daily goal could possibly be too high?
    What's your bmr and tdee?
  • zhanaolivia
    Options
    Your daily goal could possibly be too high?
    What's your bmr and tdee?

Apparently my TDEE is approx 1700 and my BMR is about 1500. I have it set below 1700, but I always eat much less. Usually around 1300-1500.
  • zhanaolivia
    Options
    http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/women-running-into-trouble/

this helps with women. I feel the same way. I have been on here for 3 months and well I have only lost 7lbs. but this is a journey and each day is different. We all make good and bad choices. Also try drinking a gallon of water for 5 days and that will help eliminate some of the water weight you might be carrying around. And try not to eat a lot of sodium. its hard, but it might help you drop those lbs.

good luck!

That article is so interesting! Ha, see if you'll catch me running every day now. But somehow I doubt excessive cardio is my problem. But I was recommended a blood test recently for my iron levels, so perhaps I should check my thyroid while I'm at it.
    I was thinking maybe two runs a week mixed in with as much walking as possible everyday. HOnestly, I'm super reluctant to "train" to lose weight because I want whatever method of weightloss I choose to be continuable in the rest of my life. So, I've upped my walking to everywhere, and I do weights most nights of the week. But I yeah, 2 cardios a week may just boost it.
  • missemily1124
    Options
    You look awesome in your picture, to start off. Sorry...I'm slow with "kg" so, is 10kg only 10lbs?

10 kilograms (kgs) is equivilent to 22 pounds (lbs)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    This might not be a popular opinion, but from looking at your diary, you may be eating close to maintenance. There are at least a handful of days where you are going over 1500. I only went back a week or two. But I would try eating between 1200-1500 calories on a day to day basis and not going over that 1500.
  • zhanaolivia
    Options
    This might not be a popular opinion, but from looking at your diary, you may be eating close to maintenance. There are at least a handful of days where you are going over 1500. I only went back a week or two. But I would try eating between 1200-1500 calories on a day to day basis and not going over that 1500.

Ohh-kay. This is now super confusing because whenever I eat under 1500 I get about 5 people blowing up at me saying I need to eat more than my TDEE (1500). I'm happy to eat under, it's not difficult, but I get the whole "EAT MORE TO LOSE MORE" thing from everyone.

I'm just getting SO SICK of not losing. I'd be okay if I could easily stay the same, even, but every time I see the scales I've either GAINED or just lingered around my highest weight. I feel that if I'm walking at least about 30mins at top speed everyday and not eating much I should be at least losing SLOWLY.

I think I'll go and get a blood test soon to see whether there's anything medical to do with it. Otherwise it may just be that I have a crazy stubborn body and I'll just have to give it a boost with a couple of weekly jogs. It's just so frustrating and it literally occupies every damn second of my day. I'm just so tired of this being a problem that I can't seem to fix.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Ohh-kay. This is now super confusing because whenever I eat under 1500 I get about 5 people blowing up at me saying I need to eat more than my TDEE (1500). I'm happy to eat under, it's not difficult, but I get the whole "EAT MORE TO LOSE MORE" thing from everyone.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

OK, your BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the amount of calories your body burns just to function. In other words, if you were to stay in bed all day. Your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, which is the amount of calories you burn by actually doing things throughout your day. You should avoid eating below your BMR. You should avoid eating ABOVE your TDEE. Most people find the "sweet spot" for weight loss by figuring out their TDEE and subtracting 15-20% of the calories. So, where in this spectrum have you been eating?

If you are eating "in your zone" I would suggest getting your thyroid, AND vitamin D levels checked, along with your iron.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry it is confusing. I know there is a lot of disagreement here about eating more to weigh less. I agree with "eat enough" to weigh less. However, 1200-1500 for a female usually is enough unless you are very active or very heavy. You don't look like you have far to go at all in weight loss, so I believe the smaller range would work for you.

When I am practicing what I preach, I try to alternate 1200, 1500 back and forth. I do allow myself to eat more if for whatever reason, the 1200 isn't enough. I don't lose weight well going above 1500. In fact, MFP tells me I will gain weight when I go over it.

Did you ever mention your weight? That makes a big difference in how many calories you need for a deficit.

(Plenty of health plans promoted outside of MFP give a range of 1200-1600 calories with exercise.) I think MFP's plan does work, but it also doesn't say that you MUST eat your exercise calories, just that you can. If something isn't working for you, try something else. Given your physique, I would try eating a bit less consistently than a bit more.
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking plenty of water? That really helps. Its a pain because you have to pee all the time, But it should help you and you'll level out eventually with the bathroom going. Good luck to you.
  • PrezBigGirl
    Options
    I would guess that you are holding onto water. Additionally, if you have had a lot of yo-yo dieting then your body may be in starvation mode and slowing your metabolism. I would suggest working out harder and upping your calorie intake
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Flax is correct OP.

Record absolutely everything, do not think by not recording something it will not count, it will but you will not be able to look back and work out what it was.

Weigh your food, NEVER guess, that can mean the difference between hundreds of calories and those hundreds of calories can end up with you either not losing any weight at all or, worse still, putting some back on!!!!

Weigh and measure yourself and record the results once per week, do not lie to yourself, this is vitally important.

Regarding exercise, there are other things you can do if you do not wish to do exercise sessions, but they will burn calories. If you can walk or cycle places instead of taking the car or public transport, do so. Don't bother recording the calories burned, but just keep active, if you can take the stairs instead of the escalator or lift/elevator in places, do so. Everytime you "go against gravity" ie stairs, hills, inclines etc, you burn even more calories than that activity would normal burn. You will never, EVER find an overweight rockclimber or mountain climber :oD

Somebody mentioned on another thread the "times 10" calculation. Try it and see what figure you come up with - take your weight in pounds and times it by 10, that is the figure you should have as your daily calories. It cannot hurt to try.

Today is the first day of your weightloss from this moment on, go for it!!!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry it is confusing. I know there is a lot of disagreement here about eating more to weigh less. I agree with "eat enough" to weigh less. However, 1200-1500 for a female usually is enough unless you are very active or very heavy. You don't look like you have far to go at all in weight loss, so I believe the smaller range would work for you.

When I am practicing what I preach, I try to alternate 1200, 1500 back and forth. I do allow myself to eat more if for whatever reason, the 1200 isn't enough. I don't lose weight well going above 1500. In fact, MFP tells me I will gain weight when I go over it.

Did you ever mention your weight? That makes a big difference in how many calories you need for a deficit.

(Plenty of health plans promoted outside of MFP give a range of 1200-1600 calories with exercise.) I think MFP's plan does work, but it also doesn't say that you MUST eat your exercise calories, just that you can. If something isn't working for you, try something else. Given your physique, I would try eating a bit less consistently than a bit more.

I agree with Flax on this too, people need to stop telling the OP to eat more, eating more is what she was doing before, it did not work.