Strength Training Without Gym or Equipment

Options
Krys_140
Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
The Question (for those who don't wish to read the details): What are some specific weight training exercises that can be done at home without specific equipment or a gym membership? I'm looking for Arms, Shoulders, Abs, Back, Legs - what else?

The Details (for those that like context): I started on MFP about 3 weeks ago, and have been overwhelmed by the support and encouragement here. I've already lost 4 lbs (net), and am making much better choices with food. I've walked for exercise every single day since joining, which is a record for me. Now, I've challenged myself to add daily strength training, but I don't have a gym membership or equipment at home.

I do intend to join a gym very soon, but I don't want to wait on that to start building lean mass.

THANKS!!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    There is a book and iphone app called "Be Your Own Gym" that uses body weight as resistance instead of weights. I have heard good things, but haven't tried it yet myself. I do have the app, but just haven't gotten around to it LOL.
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    First, excellent job on the weight loss!!! There are a few things I do at home without any equipment, but I'm still new at this too so my variety is limited. Push ups and superman planks are something I randomly drop and do. My children think I'm insane. A small investment in a body ball can open up a world of strength and flexibility exercises. Typically the ball will come with a book of different things you can do with it, or you can just Google it and get a lot of ideas. You can also put a chair on each side of you and use them to do dips. A sturdy tree branch outside (with gloves) makes a good pull-up bar. If you have on-demand on your TV, they have a lot of Pilates shows.

Uhhh..that's all I've got, hope it helps!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I know your thread title says, "Without Equipment", but I use one very easy and inexpensive piece of equipment - a kettlebell. I can use it for all the strength training moves and it makes you become the machine. I use KettleWorx DVDs and I started out with a 5 lb. KB. I have since moved up to a 7 lb., and now on a 10 lb. I found the 7 and 10 on sale at Target.

My cardio started out with Zumba and I've since moved on to TurboFire, but it wasn't until I started using KettleWorx that I would hear, "How much WEIGHT have you LOST?"

I've done it all in my house, none of it in a gym. Hope this is helpful! :smile:

Edit to add: Wow, I'm all thumbs today - spelling. :blushing:
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    The Question (for those who don't wish to read the details): What are some specific weight training exercises that can be done at home without specific equipment or a gym membership? I'm looking for Arms, Shoulders, Abs, Back, Legs - what else?

The Details (for those that like context): I started on MFP about 3 weeks ago, and have been overwhelmed by the support and encouragement here. I've already lost 4 lbs (net), and am making much better choices with food. I've walked for exercise every single day since joining, which is a record for me. Now, I've challenged myself to add daily strength training, but I don't have a gym membership or equipment at home.

I do intend to join a gym very soon, but I don't want to wait on that to start building lean mass.

THANKS!!

http://www.moneycrashers.com/strength-training-exercises-women/
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I know you asked for no equipment, but I have been working out with a kettlebell. They are a GREAT tool for excercise, there are so many different excercises you can do with them (I you tube'd a few videos) and they aren't expensive. I got an 8 lb one at wal mart for less than 15 dollars!
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I know you thread title says, "Without Equipment", but I use one very easy piece of equipment - a kettlebell. It can use it for all the strength training moves and makes you become the machine. I use KettleWorx DVDs and I started out with a 5 lb. KB. I have since moved up to a 7 lb., and now on a 10 lb. I found the 7 and 10 on sale at Target.

My cardio started out with Zumba and I've since moved on to TurboFire, but it wasn't until I started using KettleWorx that I would hear, "How much WEIGHT have you LOST?"

I've done it all in my house, non of it in a gym. Hope this is helpful! :smile:

haha didn't see this post! Looks like we're on the same page :)
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Yoga!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Push-ups, planks, dips, lunges, and squats can all be done around the house with no equipment.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I no longer go to a gym at all...
    Here is a great site for strength training
    http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere-030612/
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    Have a look at "You Are Your Own Gym" - great book with LOADS of bodyweight exercises. He trains special ops but modifies exercises from beginner to elite. Love incorporating some of this stuff. When I have 5 minutes to spare at home, I will do calf raises, or push ups from the coffee table, dips...whatever.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    It's kinda hard to do it without equipment. Your body gets used to its own body weight pretty fast and you need to keep making things heavier to keep pushing.

I would suggest the program ChaLean Extreme. You need a set of weights, preferably select-tech ones were you can change the weights fast, for women at least ones that go 5-25 lbs. I got mine for $130 off Ebay free shipping.
  • guapogringo
    guapogringo Posts: 201
    Options
    Multiple variations of Pushups, dips, chair dips, pull up bars are cheap. Squats, lunges, lots of body weight options
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    There are a few DVDs out there that use your weight to build strength, with the help of 2-5lb hand weights. I personally love Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper, both from the Biggest Loser. Both incorporate cardio with strength to not only build muscle, but to burn calories. They do squats of different variations, planks, quick feet, static row...and so on. I've gained muscle and lost inches by doing these workout DVDs, along with Zumba or Hip Hop Abs for extra cardio.
  • RoxyLDN
    RoxyLDN Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I no longer go to a gym at all...
    Here is a great site for strength training
    http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere-030612/

Great resource! Thanks for sharing!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss. Personally I'm not disciplined enough to do a work out with our following a routine, I am doing Turbo Fire right now. But if you don't want to spend money on a dvd, push-ups, lunges and squats are a must! =) I also love verpees (don't know how to spell that).
  • emcemayo
    emcemayo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ''you are your own gym'' by mark lauren
    Never gymless by ross enamalt
    Naked warrior by pavel
    I think you'll have more than you ask for if you can get Any of the above books n craig ballantyne 's site too is good. www. Turbulencetraining.com
    I hope this helps.
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I third the kettlebell suggestion. I love mine. I would start out heavier than previous posters suggested. I would start at a 15 then work your way up from that.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Go grab a resistance band. I got one at target pretty cheap and it came with a great little booklet with different exercises and how to do them. Other than that just do a variety of core exercises, and different kinds of pushups and lunges. You can find a bunch o you tube.