Cancer Survivor, need support to lose weight

Options
Good morning all, I am a 44 yr old Breast Cancer Survivor. I just visited with my doctors yesterday and although my visits went well, I am not happy with the weight gain. I am in need of some positive reinforcement from others who need the same. Being positive is keen. I have a loving family, and strong support system here at home. But I could use positive people who, like me, would like to hear kind supportive words and great ideas to keep me going towards my goal. This is the heaviest I have been and I need to lose 50 pounds to feel better. I will work hard to change my diet and get more physical. I registered for the Making Strides against Breast Cancer walk in October. So there is another goal there. I want to finish that walk and feel like I could just keep walking the day away. So according to my doctor my medication is what is making me gain weight. So I have to work harder. Today is day one. Let's get started...

Replies

• LinzCurlyQ
    LinzCurlyQ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My mother just had a double mastectomy about 4 weeks ago. It has been a struggle for both of us to keep our eating in control. You can add me as a friend if you'd like, and I'll try to be as supportive as I can :) I'm glad you've made it through!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm on the sight every day and love to be as supportive as possible. I can be a little snarky, but I try my best to motivate. Feel free to add me!
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you're eating a lot of veggies as well. At ChrisBeatCancer.com he has some good green smoothie recipes!
  • lorradear
    lorradear Posts: 6
    Options
    I would love to help support your goal. add me as a friend as well.
  • apf70
    apf70 Posts: 7
    Options
    Congratulations! Glad to hear you are doing well. I am a cancer survivor as well. i lost my right kidney to cancer on Oct 2010. So far all my test have come back normal. I know exactly how you feel. I have always been a worry freak, and now i think i am worst. But i joined MFP last month and so far i am doing well. Still need to start exercising, but I can see some results already, Good luck. I know you can do it!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You did it!! You beat cancer - and you can beat this as well!! Good luck to you!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Congrats on beating Cancer I'm almost a six years , I gained quite a bit of weight while I was on Chemo and the meds I'm on for the next 7 years are making it hard on the weight loss side. But hang in there you'll get it off.

Welcome!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, I am a 44 yr old Breast Cancer Survivor. I just visited with my doctors yesterday and although my visits went well, I am not happy with the weight gain. I am in need of some positive reinforcement from others who need the same. Being positive is keen. I have a loving family, and strong support system here at home. But I could use positive people who, like me, would like to hear kind supportive words and great ideas to keep me going towards my goal. This is the heaviest I have been and I need to lose 50 pounds to feel better. I will work hard to change my diet and get more physical. I registered for the Making Strides against Breast Cancer walk in October. So there is another goal there. I want to finish that walk and feel like I could just keep walking the day away. So according to my doctor my medication is what is making me gain weight. So I have to work harder. Today is day one. Let's get started...

Ironic, isn't it. I've said little about my battle with bladder cancer because the idea that one gained weight during cancer treatment seems absurd, yet that's what happened.
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hello! My sister is a breast cancer survivor who started a dragon boat racing team for survivors. Please friend me and we can helpmotivate each other! Good luck on your journey.
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Good job beating cancer--you can lose the weight too! :happy:
  • vongould
    vongould Posts: 2
    Options
    It's one step at a time, so hang in there. Each day do a little more. This does not mean you have to go further or longer. For instance, I set small goals like, if I have to stop five times on my run, I will stop four times. Once I can run a route without stopping for two weeks, I add distance or decrease time. At times I have run for 30 minutes without stopping and then I would do 20 minutes or 3 miles on the stationary bike.

If running or walking is new then do not feel bad if you walk/run two blocks and feel like your lungs are going to explode LOL . Each day do it anyway. It will not always be hard b/c each day gets easier.

I am glad you have survied, but now it is time to thrive!
    Be encouraged!
  • texaslonghorn42
    texaslonghorn42 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am a breast cancer survivor also.... will be two years NED this Oct. :) Feel free to add me as a friend on here if you like!
    I will say that I too gained weight going through treatment and due to some complications from radiation I am just now getting back to where I can exercise again. I have had to learn many tips and tricks along the way to accommodate the breast that was treated an I would be more than happy to share! Congrats on beating this awful disease!