Anyone else hate veggies?

Options
I have tried and tried numerous times to eat a salad, but everything in a salad just makes me sick! I don't want to force myself to eat a salad and vomit after every bite! I can eat corn, green beans, carrots, peas, and potatoes no problem! Although I personally don't count potatoes lol! I cook with some vegetables because I love the flavor that they give off, but once again, i just can't eat them! It's so frustrating! I can look at a salad and think about how good it looks and how I wish more then anything that I liked it, but it's just not happening! Can I still lose weight without adding those things to my diet? Also I can not have caffeine, so that is not an issue! Also I am lactose intolerant, but it seems milk is the main thing that bothers me so I always stick to soy milk unless I am cooking, then I use skim milk! And this is just my sixth day doing this! My biggest problem before was, I would carry around the jug of whatever juice and just drink that! And also have gained since my husband has been back from deployment! We have done a lot of eating out and he wants Mac n cheese with every meal and pasta and breads all the time so it was hard for me to say no!

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Just don't eat veggies.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You don't like salads? Don't eat them. There are SO many other ways to eat vegetables. My mom HATES cooked califlower, but loves cauliflower-crust pizza and mashed potatoes that are half mashed cauliflower. Roasted veggies, veggies sauteed in herbs and a small amount of oil, grilled veggies, veggies ground up and added to sauces, home-made veggie soup blended up, veggies in omelets, veggies finely chopped and added to meatloaf... your options are unlimited! Don't miss out on an important component of a healthy diet because you're restricting your options to preparation methods that you don't care for.
  • Brooklynhendricks21
    Brooklynhendricks21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh it's not just salads that I dont like! Don't like them grilled, or in soups or anything! The only way I will eat squash or okra, is if it is fried! And that's a no no lol! So I suppose I will just avoid them!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    me!!! I tolerate some of them... and actually like some of them in things... like onions and peppers... but just to sit down to a plate of veggies... Nope I'm like a 5 yr old... still yucky to me!
  • Brooklynhendricks21
    Options
    me!!! I tolerate some of them... and actually like some of them in things... like onions and peppers... but just to sit down to a plate of veggies... Nope I'm like a 5 yr old... still yucky to me!

Right! I will cook with onions and peppers all day long but I still won't eat them!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Oh it's not just salads that I dont like! Don't like them grilled, or in soups or anything! The only way I will eat squash or okra, is if it is fried! And that's a no no lol! So I suppose I will just avoid them!

Avoiding them is probably the worst option to pick. Honestly - there are SO MANY vegetables and SO MANY preparation options. Preparation can make all the difference. It will take some time and effort, but no diet is truly healthly/complete without vegetables. If you have to just find a few that you can tolerate and eat those all the time, then I guess that's what you would have to do - but taste buds do change over time. Don't be afraid to experiment and try new things.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    don't hate, but def not a big fan.
    my choices/likes are limited. eat what you like.
    why would you force yourself to eat something
    you don't like. if you feel you MUST ingest
    them, puree them and put that into a soup stock.
    Life is short, make it enjoyable :flowerforyou:
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have tried and tried numerous times to eat a salad, but everything in a salad just makes me sick! I don't want to force myself to eat a salad and vomit after every bite! I can eat corn, green beans, carrots, peas, and potatoes no problem!

It sounds to me like you like veggies, or at least SOME veggies. It's lettuce that you don't like. I don't like lettuce either, so I stopped forcing myself to eat it. Now my salads consist of either corn or peas (I use frozen and let them thaw from morning until my lunchtime), green peppers, sometimes red peppers, jalepeno, grape tomatoes, cucmbers, etc. Basically everything I like without the lettuce. Then I put salad dressing, or often I use sriracha and lime juice, and dig in. It's much tastier than a lettuce salad.
  • momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't really like salads either - the only way I will eat spinach is if I grab a big handful (at least a cup) and blend it up in a smoothie so I can't taste it. I'm pretty picky about other veggies too - I don't like raw carrots, but boil or steam them and they're yummy. If you have a food processor you can blend them up and add them to anything - this book is cooking for kids, but there are a lot of good recipes and ideas on sneaking veggies into meals: http://www.amazon.ca/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/0061251348
  • HannahPTA
    HannahPTA Posts: 39
    Options
    If you have a high quality blender you might try making a fruit/protein powder smoothie and then hide a few veggies in it. I can eat them liquified much easier than in their true form.
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of both fruits and veggies...more a texture thing than a taste thing.
    I have started eating a salad daily for the 3 weeks...but it's a very simple salad.
    Romaine Lettuce
    Carrot Matchsticks
    Shaved Parmesan Cheese
    Dressing - Bolthouse Farm Ceasar Parmigano Yogurt Dressing is awesome!

That's it. Nice and simple. And it works for me.
    Sometimes I add a whole hard boiled egg as well...though I eat it on the side so the dressing doesn't get to it.
  • Brooklynhendricks21
    Options
    These are the veggies off of the top of my head that I know I I
    Do not like! Lettuce, spinach, any type of tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, any sort of peppers, broccoli, and mushrooms! I'm sure there are more but those are what I can think of!

I know that your taste buds change over time, that's why I think past two weeks I have tried cooked and raw broccoli and it wasn't happening!

It's hard for me to sneak tem into foods since I am the one that cooks and I will know they are in there! If I was at home and my mon was cooking for me and sneaking them in, it would be no problem lol!
  • Brooklynhendricks21
    Options
    Excuse the misspellings! I am on my phone and it always decides what does and does not need to be corrected!
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Not me. I love veggies!!! Going to go eat a bunch right now!
  • Nick_nukem
    Nick_nukem Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I only eat peas and pumkin... cant eat any other veggies...ive tried but i just look like a contestant on fear factor. I chew and chew and just cant get it swallowed!!!! lol
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes. I also hate water, the citric acid cycle and oxygen. Damn they piss me off.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I don't hate them but definitely don't work them into my daily diet enough. It's just not that easy to keep fresh veggies AND cook a lot when you're single and working all the time.

I do try to work them in when I eat out, which is pretty frequently due to my job.

I also supplement with multivitamins. They are not a replacement, I know, but they help.
  • Brooklynhendricks21
    Options
    I only eat peas and pumkin... cant eat any other veggies...ive tried but i just look like a contestant on fear factor. I chew and chew and just cant get it swallowed!!!! lol

That's how I feel! My face turns red, eyes water, and gag reflex comes on! Atleast I eat some veggies though!
  • Bbmsmom
    Bbmsmom Posts: 5
    Options
    Veggies are a hard one for me too. We add extra veggies by making egg white omelets loaded with spinach (baby kale works too). Simply egg whites with a hand full of spinach. For other meals we us fat free chicken broth instead of oil...a handful of veggies, some seasoning...yum. The adults like the veggies a bit crunchy, the children like them over cooked. As for asparagus...wrap it in a damp paper towel, nuke it for about 2 minutes and it's cooked perfect. A little butter substitute OR fat free chicken broth for flavor and you have yummy veggies. Along the lines of chicken broth & veggies...I like diced onions, celery, carrots and garlic in veggie broth-with a bay leaf for seasoning...the crunchy veggies and tasty broth make for a good snack or meal. You might also want to look for those bagged mini peppers (red, yellow & orange)...those are yummy as raw snacks, not spicy at all. Train yourself to eat those veggies...they are a must, it does get better.

I really like the World's Healthiest Foods site for free recipes and food ideas...you may want to check them out.

About the bread...in the same boat with you. Found that making my own sourdough dough with King Arthur's high fiber flour makes for a healthy and tasty option. The only problem is the flour is expensive, but I don't feel guilty eating it! They offer free recipes on their site too...King Arthur Flour, but definitely not for low fat baking...but you could adapt them and make them healthier by using healthy ingredients.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    this is what you do, take the veggies, put them in a blinder or a chopper, chop away, then put them into your foods.
    whala! all the benefits and you can't even taste them