gaining weight and confused

Options
hi!

I am 21 years old and have been active my whole life. I have danced for the past 18 years, and have always been described as a "long,lean" person. I have recently begun working out more and eating better and feeling better overall, yet unfortunately my weight does not coincide. I am 5'7 and last summer weighed in around 135 lbs. I was running or taking spin classes each day, but not really monitoring my diet all that much. Somewhere between now and then I put on about 10 lbs according to the scale but never had to change the clothes that I was wearing. My most recent visit to the scale read 155.4 lbs, which I completely do not understand. I am pretty much out of the healthy weight range for my height and age, yet I work out everyday and haven't changed much about my diet since last summer. (If anything, it is better now.) I am simply confused and frustration because my weight does not refelct how I feel, and it makes me worry that I may be seeing myself in the mirror better than I actually am. I seem to be becoming more and more self concious by the day and have recently felt like I don't fit in my own skin, all because of the number that I cannot get out of my head. Any advice, suggesstions, or possible explanations would really help serve as a moral booster. thank you!

Replies

• poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Start tracking your measurements as well as your weight. Its possible you could have gotten smaller or stayed the same size, even with added weight, if you have lost fat and replaced it with muscle.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    If by "healthy weight range" you mean BMI that is a load of bull-honkey. Have you taken measurements at all? You say you haven't changed clothes which I take to me you haven't gotten bigger. If your muscle mass has increased through the workout that would explain your "getting heavier". I would recommend instead of watching the scale getting a body fat monitoring system (even something as simple as calipers) and recording that instead of your weight because at the end of the day that is what matters.
  • jmcross1980
    Options
    If by "healthy weight range" you mean BMI that is a load of bull-honkey. Have you taken measurements at all? You say you haven't changed clothes which I take to me you haven't gotten bigger. If your muscle mass has increased through the workout that would explain your "getting heavier". I would recommend instead of watching the scale getting a body fat monitoring system (even something as simple as calipers) and recording that instead of your weight because at the end of the day that is what matters.

I agree with this. If you went off of what BMI says you should be at, then you'd be nothing but a stick and I find nothing healthy about that what so ever.