Three-month plateau. Suggestions?

Options
Hi all. Everyone out there who has posted before and after photos has been a great motivation to me. Thank you!

I've been using MFP since January, and it's been so helpful. I've never been able to diet successfully before.

My problem is I've been stuck at 161 for months (I'm a buff 5'8", so I'm looking okay) and I want to get to 155 or so. Not only am I plateaued, I'm hungry *all the time* at 1500 calories. I work out an hour or more a day to get extra calories, and that's helping, but I still end up hungry for hours every day, even with the workout bonus calories.

If this is how it's going to be for the rest of my life (maintaining my weight at 1500 calories and hungry all the time), I'm not sure I can stick with this for the long haul.

Thoughts on how to break the plateau? Thoughts on why I'm so dang hungry and not losing?

Thank you for all your help and motivation!

Temira

Replies

• NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    bump
    I want to see replies to this later on tonight.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    My guess is you're not eating enough. 1500 calories sounds really low. I went through the same thing. Have a look at this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • Nelliebird1430
    Options
    I am kind of in the same boat as you, although not the hungry all the time part... I have lost a couple lbs here and there, but for how much I workout and how on track I have been with my calories, I am not losing what it suggests I should be losing... I'd like to hear everyones thoughts!
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think you're probably not eating enough, I eat around 1500-1600 calories and I'm only 5'4" and 139lbs. Try upping your calories 200-300 and see if that makes any difference. If not, figure out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and subtract 15-30% from that.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Plateau for months and months and months. Tried the whole eat more to weigh less. I gained 6 pounds in 3 weeks. Now I am working off that 6 pounds gonna try something else. So I am looking for suggestions too!
  • Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was on a 2 month plateau and could never figure out why the scale wasn't moving though I was doing everything right. The only thing that helped me get out of the plateau was increasing my calorie intake. I was eating 1200-1300 calories per day, then I read lot of forums and groups related to "eat more to weigh less" and increased my intake to around 1500 calories or some days more depending on the amount of exercise. I started to see a difference in my weight almost instantly ! After upping my calorie goals, I have lost 7 pounds so far..

Hope that helps you..
  • tgrady20
    tgrady20 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am kind of in the same boat as you, although not the hungry all the time part... I have lost a couple lbs here and there, but for how much I workout and how on track I have been with my calories, I am not losing what it suggests I should be losing... I'd like to hear everyones thoughts!

Same here...really frustrating!!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I just went through your diary, and I have 2 suggestions:
    - Lower your carb intake to between 60-100g/day - I did that and busted my plateau. You have to cut more grains and eat more veggies to keep the balance, but I'm not as hungry anymore when I did that.

- Also, I think you might need to eat more. How are you figuring your TDEE? I would try and get closer to a 15% cut. I lose more when I eat closer to my daily burn than when I'm farther from it.

But, damn, you're doing great anyway! Your diary is awesome, and you keep your carbs and sugar pretty low - and those are my two weak points, and the ones that tank me always, so I go look there first.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I would agree - too few calories.

Your body is trying to tell you something - EAT! If you're not fueling your body right, your metabolism will adjust to hold onto every precious calorie it can!

I work out just about every day except weekends, and I'm eating at around 1700 calories every day (including eating back exercise calories). I, too, had a weight loss plateau for a couple of months and I was eating about 1350 calories/day.

Also a suggestion - are you doing the same workouts every day? Try switching it up. I was informed by a trainer that doing the same exercise repetitively makes your body become used to it and you don't burn as many calories doing it as you used to. This was a huge problem for me as I'm a Zumba instructor. I used to burn over 700 calories teaching a class. Now it's more like 450, so I added strength training.

Best of luck to you!

Disclaimer: if anyone else disagrees with what I'm saying, please feel free to correct me. However, this is what has worked FOR ME....
  • jmcross1980
    Options
    When was the last time you changed up your workout routine as well?
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My two cents:
    Eat healthy non processed foods.. 5-6 meals a day... so every 2.5-3hrs.. its fantastic to not feel hungry!! I would also up your cals. Goodluck!!

Oh yes and keep your body guessing!!! Change up your workouts.. your body deff gets used to it. Use muscle confusion... ;)
  • Ljordan_fitflow
    Ljordan_fitflow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, your calories are fine. The big question is what are you eating? Your exercise is fine too. The big question for exercise is, have you been doing the same routine for the last 3 months? Sounds like Your body has become "adjusted" to what you consume and the exercise that you do. So you have to change it up. Whether it's modifying what you are eating ie reducing "refined carbs", increasing protein to help decrease hunger. Increase intensity, resistance or changing the routine completely... ie P90x, insanity, kickboxing,. something intense that you do not already do.. just a sample of good plateau busters.

Previous posts say you have to eat more but missing one key point. If you eat more, then you have to exercise more.
    i hope this helps.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My guess is you're not eating enough. 1500 calories sounds really low. I went through the same thing. Have a look at this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

^^^^This
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Agree with what others have said--you may need to eat more as well as change your exercise routine. Your diet looks pretty good. Another suggestion--try eating smaller meals more frequently throughout the day. I get hungry all the time too and part of what has helped is eating a small meal every 2-3 hours. I track by breakfast, lunch and dinner and but that's not really what I do. If I work out in the am, I'll have a protein shake afterwards and then 1-2 hours later an egg white omelet with veggies--that kind of thing. I'm hardly ever in a state of 'full' (unless I go out or I haven't eaten in a while and I need to eat more) but I'm not hungry either. Right now I eat 1600 and I'm 5'5 probably around 138-140 and trying to lose fat and tighten up but not necessarily lose weight. So far seems to working...
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a pretty active job, recreation facilitator? I ran your numbers through my handy dandy calorie calculator, set you as "moderately active", and that resulted in 1,907 calories (for a 15 percent deficit)-- so that means if you eat that, you won't be eating back your workout calories. That's pretty close to what you're already eating, however. Hmm.

Your diary looks quite healthy! I am impressed.

You're not really eating any grains... do you have an intolerance?

Okay here's what I'm thinking. Your BMI is within the healthy range. You only want to lose 6 more pounds. I'd say quit trying to lose weight, eat maintenance calories, and start working some heavy weight lifting (deadlifts, squats, lunges) into your exercise schedule. That will help you get some final results on your figure; that's probably what you're looking for.

Good luck and great job so far. Seriously. Your diet is fantastic.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    im far from an expert on this sort of thing, but is it possible you're gaining muscle and losing fat? besides that, i guess you could take your measurements and see if they are changing.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Plateau for months and months and months. Tried the whole eat more to weigh less. I gained 6 pounds in 3 weeks. Now I am working off that 6 pounds gonna try something else. So I am looking for suggestions too!

This is EXACTLY my predicament. Would love to get some answers.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I had been in a plateau for almost 2 years, so here is my best advice: I recommend seeing a doctor and getting a body composition test done. After getting mine, I saw the ACTUAL number of what is required for me to maintain my weight, which was about 100 calories less than what MFP calculated for me (which makes a huge difference in the long run). Also, I recommend trying the Doctor Oz 28 Day Carb Detox and then trying the GI Diet (I recommend buying the GI Diet book and reading it so you can incorporate it while you do the Carb Detox).

I have been doing this for almost 3 weeks now and I have dropped about 7lbs and am the "skinniest" I have ever felt--my stomach has flattened out A LOT. I set my MFP calorie goal at the number that I was given with the body composition test and I still continue to do my same workouts of running, kickboxing, and weight training 4-5 days a week (I normally burn 500+ calories through exercise, so I still create enough deficit to drop 0.5-1lb a week even without having to cut eating calories). Over a 2 year span, I felt like I have been trying EVERYTHING and thought it was my exercise and had started weight-training this year, but even with that, still wasn't dropping WEIGHT. The reality was it was actually my diet and I was over eating by 100 calories every day and I wasn't eating the RIGHT kind of carbs and veggies to aid in dropping the WEIGHT.

You may feel hungry for the first week of this, but TRUST me, it gets a lot better! Now, most days I get to dinner time and still have about 700-900 calories left to eat because I feel very satiated throughout the day, except for after I workout.

Good luck!
  • LovelyNFit
    LovelyNFit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    So far there are two people who have posted who tried the "Eat more to Lose more" and did not work. What do the pros EMTLM have to say about that?
  • Brianabomb
    Brianabomb Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump