Wine allergy...sulfites?!

Options
Does anyone out there have allergies to the sulfites found in wine? I do :sad: The odd thing is I don't always get a reaction...it's hit or miss. I love my wine:drinker: Does anyone know of a wine that's low in sulfites?

Replies

• fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I was allergic to the yeast for processing....achoo!!!
    So, I switched to Vodka!! 0 cals/0 fat!! :drinker:
  • azwaa
    azwaa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I react to wine and most alcohols, my face turns redish and I get a minor rash. Fortunately my throat doesn't close, so I still drink once in a while. I believe it is an alcohol allergy, but I have never been tested. I never thought it could be sulfites. Sorry no help but you are not the only one.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I was allergic to the yeast for processing....achoo!!!
    So, I switched to Vodka!! 0 cals/0 fat!! :drinker:

Just FYI - Vodka isn't calories "free" - The USDA lists a 1 1/5-ounce shot of an 80-proof spirit -- which is 40% alcohol by volume -- like vodka at 64 calories.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/256382-calories-in-vodka-wine/#ixzz1zCXcUVGU
  • vespertinestar
    Options
    You can get low/free from sulphite wines but at a guess it's not the kind of thing you'll find in your local supermarket :) I'm not allergic but it does play havoc with my asthma.
  • T2trinco
    T2trinco Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My face gets REAL red for about one or two glasses...by the third it's faded though. lol I heard it's an allergic reaction.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    You can get low/free from sulphite wines but at a guess it's not the kind of thing you'll find in your local supermarket :) I'm not allergic but it does play havoc with my asthma.

Red wine does that to me too with my asthma.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My sis is

but she can drink organic wine! It isn't necessarily sulfite free, but none are added