Fight Gluttony! :)

Options
Does anyone else use the fear of gluttony to help them make the right eating decisions?
I do, and I find it quite helpful in fending off binge eating.

Definition:
Gluttony, derived from the Latin gluttire meaning to gulp down or swallow, means over-indulgence and over-consumption of food, drink, or intoxicants to the point of waste.

Basically, I believe that if we are devoid of self-control, we cannot conform to God's will. Lusting after our cravings controls our will if we let it. We feel powerless and lose confidence in ourselves. Think about how horrible you feel about yourself after a binge.

I believe that God wants us to have self-control and that when we have self-control and don't yield to our cravings, we have more self respect and we feel good about ourselves. And because we feel good about ourselves, we continue to make good decisions.

When I am hit with a strong craving, I remind myself that it is not from me. I tell myself that it's not the real "me" that wants it, because the real me wants to be healthy, energetic, and in control of my desires. And then I tell myself, sometimes out loud, "I do not worship my belly. I worship God and God wants me to have self-control"

It really helps me. I know several religions and spiritual beliefs encourage the use of self-control, and discourage acts of gluttony. I fast during the month of Ramadan and it really helps me get back in control of my life and my habits. I feel revived - like I can reach any goal with God by my side! Food is meant for our health and our pleasure, but when we become obsessed with it or let it control us, we end feeling weak - both physically and emotionally.

I'm sorry - I didn't mean this to be a sermon. I just wanted to share what really helps me combat cravings. I hope it can help you too. God is great and can help you with anything!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    Thats a good way of getting self control. I'm not religious so I don't share your exact method however, I do try to tell myself that if I am eating, especially if I'm eating a treat, that if I'm no longer enjoying what I am eating because I have had enough then there is no point and I am wasting the food.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Right on !!!!! Thank you for sharing these thoughts.:bigsmile:
  • lagavica
    lagavica Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to share with us. :smile:
  • my_cherie72
    Options
    I however am very pleased to have someone step out in faith and share this. It is very inspiring and puts a different attitude in me for my "diet" ... thank you!
  • Skinny100
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Right on !!!!! Thank you for sharing these thoughts.:bigsmile:

Awww - you're welcome! Congrats on losing sooo much weight! Wow!
  • Skinny100
    Options
    I however am very pleased to have someone step out in faith and share this. It is very inspiring and puts a different attitude in me for my "diet" ... thank you!
    I'm so glad to hear it! I can't do anything without putting God first in my life :) He is the best of planners!
  • genma1987
    genma1987 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This is very good! I'm going to save this!
  • Skinny100
    Options
    This is very good! I'm going to save this!

I'm glad you liked it! :smile:
  • Skinny100
    Options
    When hit with a craving where I feel that I absolutely must give in, I have been saying one the following and it really goes help :

"I have given into foods like this in the past and they did not make me happy. I will be happier when I reach my goal weight and this particular food will not help me reach that goal."

" I do not worship my cravings and my stomach. I worship God, and God wants me to have a high level of self-control"

"I feel an intense craving for this food, but my body is already nourished. It's not my body that is asking for it, but my desires. I will not give into my desires because I have a goal in mind which I will reach."

"I have failed in the past because I ate everything my desires urged me to eat. That led me to failure. Now that I am on the road to success, I will not listen to my senseless cravings, no matter how intense they seem. I am winning!"

:happy:
  • rachmj526
    rachmj526 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    excellent and inspiring! :flowerforyou:

Thank you!