Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Keep on keepin' on..............
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, your calories are fine. The big question is what are you eating? Your exercise is fine too. The big question for exercise is, have you been doing the same routine for the last 3 months? Sounds like Your body has become "adjusted" to what you consume and the exercise that you do. So you have to change it up. Whether it's modifying what you are eating ie reducing "refined carbs", increasing protein to help decrease hunger. Increase intensity, resistance or changing the routine completely... ie P90x, insanity, kickboxing,. something intense that you do not already do.. just a sample of good plateau busters.

Previous posts say you have to eat more but missing one key point. If you eat more, then you have to exercise more.
    i hope this helps.

Umm, you only have to eat more if you're eating above maintenance. At 1500 calories a day plus exercising that is highly unlikely. In a day when I'm doing just my normal stuff, no exercising, I burn about 2000 calories and I'm 5'4".

If she's eating 1500 calories and burning 300-500 of those off exercising her body is starving. It's slowing her metabolism down to have the energy it needs to function.

I would try to slowly increase your calories...maybe by 50-100 extra a day for a week or two, then up it again. This should help.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, your calories are fine. The big question is what are you eating? Your exercise is fine too. The big question for exercise is, have you been doing the same routine for the last 3 months? Sounds like Your body has become "adjusted" to what you consume and the exercise that you do. So you have to change it up. Whether it's modifying what you are eating ie reducing "refined carbs", increasing protein to help decrease hunger. Increase intensity, resistance or changing the routine completely... ie P90x, insanity, kickboxing,. something intense that you do not already do.. just a sample of good plateau busters.

Previous posts say you have to eat more but missing one key point. If you eat more, then you have to exercise more.
    i hope this helps.

Umm, you only have to eat more if you're eating above maintenance. At 1500 calories a day plus exercising that is highly unlikely. In a day when I'm doing just my normal stuff, no exercising, I burn about 2000 calories and I'm 5'4".

If she's eating 1500 calories and burning 300-500 of those off exercising her body is starving. It's slowing her metabolism down to have the energy it needs to function.

I would try to slowly increase your calories...maybe by 50-100 extra a day for a week or two, then up it again. This should help.
    ^^^ This
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    So far there are two people who have posted who tried the "Eat more to Lose more" and did not work. What do the pros EMTLM have to say about that?

I've only upped my calories for about a month now, so I'm not an expert by any means, but three weeks is not long enough to 'try' EMTLM. It depends on how long you've been eating at a restricted calorie level, it depends on how vigilant you are about measuring and counting your calories. I just got back into tracking my food a few months ago, had been stationary at 197ish for a few months. Starting logging on here again and was eating 1300-1400 calories and usually not eating back exercise calories. But I only exercised about 3 times a week too.

My weight loss stalled a month or so ago, not for long, but it was definitely not moving. I joined EMTLM, upped my calories to 1715, and have been losing ever since.

However, the big difference was I didn't eat way below my BMI for long. If you read some of the information out there, it clearly addresses people who have been eating below BMI for an extended length of time. These people often take a lot longer and can gain back quite a few pounds while getting their body used to eating more. It takes time for the body to go into starvation mode, it also takes time for your body to believe it won't be starved again.
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Not alone on the plateau... looking for answers too, or should I say still. I am short however, only 4'10" and 129lbs. so I have a smaller margin of error calorie wise. With less than 10 to go so I know it gets more difficult but I have changed up my workouts and tried so many of the suggestions here. Eating more is hard to do though when some days just eating back exercise cals. makes me feel stuffed!
  • jmcross1980
    Options

i hope this helps.

How are you burning 2000 calories a day if you aren't exercising?
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Try interval training at the gym. That helps a lot. Also, try eating smaller meals more times a day. That should help your hunger.
  • thinrose001
    thinrose001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person that said "lower your carb intake" but do that while also increasing your fiber intake. Yesterday's meal shows you have a few instances where you ate high carb and virtually no fiber intake "at the same time." This means your body is probably storing those excess carbs as fat. When you include high fiber, you can deduct the fiber from the carbs and get the "net carbs". If you eat less carbs, more fiber & protein, you won't feel as hungry throughout the day.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was on a 2 month plateau and could never figure out why the scale wasn't moving though I was doing everything right. The only thing that helped me get out of the plateau was increasing my calorie intake. I was eating 1200-1300 calories per day, then I read lot of forums and groups related to "eat more to weigh less" and increased my intake to around 1500 calories or some days more depending on the amount of exercise. I started to see a difference in my weight almost instantly ! After upping my calorie goals, I have lost 7 pounds so far..

Hope that helps you..

Same here...
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options

i hope this helps.

It's quite easy to burn 2000 cal a day without exercising. If her BMR is close to 1500 a day, and she burns 500 more from everyday activities, ie. work, walking, cooking, etc, etc. That could easily add up to 2000. Everyone who is looking for help here needs to do some research on BMR and TDEE. You should not be netting below your BMR ever, as this is the bare minimum amount of calories your body needs to survive.

Sounds like the lady, who claimed to "eat more" and then gained didn't give it enough time. Most people gain at first when eating more, but the bloat eventually disappears and you lose again. If she had done some research into the process, she would've seen a lot of information on this. You can do major damage to your metabolism from eating too few calories for too long. She more than likely needed to do a complete metabolism reset, and eat at maintenance for awhile. Some people just like starving, I guess. Do some research and figure out how to properly fuel your workouts and body.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

i hope this helps.

Use this tool: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Plateau for months and months and months. Tried the whole eat more to weigh less. I gained 6 pounds in 3 weeks. Now I am working off that 6 pounds gonna try something else. So I am looking for suggestions too!

This is EXACTLY my predicament. Would love to get some answers.

I was on a 4 month plateau and did the same thing. Gained a couple pounds. Then decided I wasnt going to worry with the weight loss for a little while. I changed to eating maintainence. I gained a total of 7 pounds. I've did maintainence for the last 3 months. So it has been 7 months since I have lost any weight. Last week, I started the weight loss process again and I've lost 2 pounds. Sometimes you just have to give your body a break, let it readjust and then shock it again by dropping the calories.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options

I was on a 4 month plateau and did the same thing. Gained a couple pounds. Then decided I wasnt going to worry with the weight loss for a little while. I changed to eating maintainence. I gained a total of 7 pounds. I've did maintainence for the last 3 months. So it has been 7 months since I have lost any weight. Last week, I started the weight loss process again and I've lost 2 pounds. Sometimes you just have to give your body a break, let it readjust and then shock it again by dropping the calories.

Amen, sister. Good for you for ditching the scale and properly fueling yourself. :smile:
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    BUMP...!

I've been on a plateau for 6 months already (gaining/losing the same 5-6 lbs. over and over again), and can't figure out if I really should be eating more, or NOT. My base calories are 1,500, I always eat back my exercise calories, and I workout 5x/week alternating between running, spin class, and a hard core circuit training class w/heavier weights. I've gained lots of strength and endurance, but I'm tired of the zig-zag.

The only time I was at my goal weight was when I didn't work out for a month (because of surgery) -- as soon as I started working out again, my weight has gone up, down, up down, up...

I did try upping my base calories to 1,700 - 1,800 after reading the EMTWL threads...but after a month, I had steadily gained until was at the top of that 6 lb. zig-zag again.

I've entertained a couple of theories, but none of them seem right:
    1. Because I'm older (41), don't I need less calories than the folks who are 20-30? Maybe I just need to eat less than I think...?
    2. Maybe because I work out hard, my body is staying at this 135 - 139 range to fuel that...? And maybe I should just give up my original goal of 133...

Any ideas guys?
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    If you're eating healthy foods and you're still hungry then try eating more. If you're feeling hungry all the time then it's your body's way of telling you it needs more fuel.

As for your plateau, try changing up your workout if you haven't already.
  • Twomirrors
    Twomirrors Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Wow. I went off to work for a few hours and you guys gave me so much advice. Thank you!! I should have taken the chance on asking for help earlier.

I think I'm going to try eating more for a week or three and see if that makes a difference. I was hesitant to try that, because I'm terrified of gaining any weight back. I've been chunky my whole life, and don't want to gain and have to lose it back again. That's such hard work!

But if I'm not eating enough, that would explain why I'm sleeping a lot and my muscles feel tired.

In response to some of the questions, I'm blessed to live in a place where I don't need a gym. My workouts vary: mountain biking, windsurfing in 30+mph, road biking, running, hardcore intervals on a road bike. I ride at least an hour every time I go out, and on days when I have time, I ride 2.5 hours or more. Mostly I'm riding up big hills. I like suffering. =) I don't do strength training, other than ab stuff and pushups, as I'm really muscular (think Xena or an Amazon) and don't want more muscle. I give myself 8-10 calories per minute of cardio, which is less than MFP gives for the same activities.

I try to eat under 150g of carbs per day. If I drop under 125g, I'm starving, even if I'm eating plenty of calories. Under 100g, and I can't think straight, so I'm not sure a super-low carb diet will work for me.

It's possible I've traded a few lbs of fat for muscle. People do keep telling me I look skinny, but I can't tell the difference in the mirror. Too many years of body image issues, I guess! Anyway, I just want that dang needle to drop below 160!

Thank you again for all your help!
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    BUMP...!

I've been on a plateau for 6 months already (gaining/losing the same 5-6 lbs. over and over again), and can't figure out if I really should be eating more, or NOT. My base calories are 1,500, I always eat back my exercise calories, and I workout 5x/week alternating between running, spin class, and a hard core circuit training class w/heavier weights. I've gained lots of strength and endurance, but I'm tired of the zig-zag.

The only time I was at my goal weight was when I didn't work out for a month (because of surgery) -- as soon as I started working out again, my weight has gone up, down, up down, up...

I did try upping my base calories to 1,700 - 1,800 after reading the EMTWL threads...but after a month, I had steadily gained until was at the top of that 6 lb. zig-zag again.

I've entertained a couple of theories, but none of them seem right:
    1. Because I'm older (41), don't I need less calories than the folks who are 20-30? Maybe I just need to eat less than I think...?
    2. Maybe because I work out hard, my body is staying at this 135 - 139 range to fuel that...? And maybe I should just give up my original goal of 133...

Any ideas guys?

i have been here too losing and regaining and plateauing
    i think a lot of it comes from not being honest low carb low cal macros etc. are you being naughty? drinking beer/wine etc?
    how hard are your workouts and heavy are your lifts? maybe you need a change
    recently i ditched diet pills stopped worrying about carbs upped my calories from 1200 to 1500 which does not count Sunday and Mondays binge and added more cardio at least 20 mins daily. i lift heavy, i squat 130 on a rack and bench about 90-100(this is subjective) this week happily i didn't gain but lost a few ounces. which is good news for me becausei think a few simple changes and i can lose.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Want to lose weight? Cut off your arm.
  • ndavis80
    ndavis80 Posts: 1
    Options
    Heya,

I am doing Paleo Diet and it gets awesome results, maybe it will help you if you are open to it: http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/. You don't eat grains, legumes, dairy, sugar, processed foods, or alcohol.

If you don't want to go the Paleo option to stop your hunger it may be what you are eating. You should focus on higher protein than the RDA's and also lots of complex carbs and high fiber . These foods will keep you fuller longer because they take your body longer to digest and break down. They are also very filling by nature. I eat 35% protein a day.

Look at the foods you are eating and you may see that you are eating foods that are leading you to being hungry, lots of carbs and sugars or foods that are a combination of both do not keep you full very long and mess with your insulin levels so they make you hungry quickly and often.

I have been reading up about Chia seeds and Maca powder, still not done researching but Chia is supposed to curb your appetite and keep you full longer since it forms a gel like substance when it absorbs liquids...check it out.

You also may want to consider that you may not be losing pounds but you may be gaining lean muscle mass so you will not see pounds off on the scale but your body is changing. You can measure periodically to see this or judge by how your clothes fit.

Hope this helps!