Hula Hooping

Options
Last night my boyfriend taught me how to hula hoop. I woke up this morning sore and with bruises, but a very happy camper. I haven't had that much fun in ages. I am heading to a hardware store today so I can make my own.
Does anyone have any experience making their own hoop? Is it hard? Does anyone regularly add hula hooping to their exercise routine?
I am new to this, and really want to explore it more!

Replies

• lorelei31
    lorelei31 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have a hula hoop and try to do it a little every day. It is suppose to be great for your core. There is a HUGE hula hooping community here in Austin, TX. I say, "go for it!" And....keep us posted. :happy:
  • dllcpa
    dllcpa Posts: 8
    Options
    My daughter was making hula hoops out of some time of hose (I think she said pvc pipe but I can't be sure) and decorating them with colored duct tape. She actually sold a few! I think she put sand in the hoop for weight. Have fun!!
  • lorelei31
    lorelei31 Posts: 6
    Options
    Oh! The weight of the hoop is important....I think the heavier the hoop, the easier it is to hula. :) Not sure, but I know it makes a difference...I expect the size is also important. I'm pretty much a novice. My hula hoop is "homemade" by a friend who is much younger than I am, but very much a part of that community that I mentioned. She picked it out for me and some days I can do it, and some days I can't.....that's what happens when you are fat AND old! heehee
  • titsnstuff
    titsnstuff Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks guys! I found a site that explains how to make them and they don't look very hard to make, but we'll see when I actually attempt to make them. ;) The site recommends using poly tubing for irrigation.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    HELL YEAH SPINNAZ UNITE!

Flow arts of all kinds are badass for health. You can spend all day getting a workout and not even realize it because you were having to much fun. Hula Hooping is the most boring of them though - try poi or staff or buugeng or contact. You will get lean and mean in no time! :smile:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    homeofpoi, neonhusky, renegadejuggling, oddballs (uk), firemecca, flowtoys... you'll find all sorts of fun stuff on those sites.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Reallly cheap at Walmart or a big store near you. I wouldnt make it but thats cuz im not crafty!! But thanks for this post I think Im gunna go get one too!!!
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Last night my boyfriend taught me how to hula hoop. I woke up this morning sore and with bruises, but a very happy camper. I haven't had that much fun in ages. I am heading to a hardware store today so I can make my own.
    Does anyone have any experience making their own hoop? Is it hard? Does anyone regularly add hula hooping to their exercise routine?
    I am new to this, and really want to explore it more!

How do you learn to do it? I have one and that dang thing just wont stay up!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    try checking out youtube videos of hula hoopers too, you can learn some really cool tricks to keep it interesting too! my little sister is incredible at it and that's how she learned. She also makes her own hula hoops out of irragation hose (i'm pretty sure that's what it is) and these little plastic connectors you get at hardware stores and then would use colored duct tape to decorate them. I know size does definitely matter (the smaller the hoop the harder it is) so try to match the hoop you used
  • titsnstuff
    titsnstuff Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks captain_tight! I just googled buugeng and that looks amazing. I never knew the spinning world existed. Do SuperAmie! I was just warned to stay away from cheap walmart ones because they are not big enough for adults, but I might be mistaken. Lorelel is correct that the bigger/heavier the hoop the easier it will be.
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Never even considered any of these before. Interesting stuff!
    homeofpoi, neonhusky, renegadejuggling, oddballs (uk), firemecca, flowtoys... you'll find all sorts of fun stuff on those sites.
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I puchased a weighted one a bit ago. It was so much fun just while watching tv. I did it for an hr the first day and wow,was I hurting for the next few days. I do this on the days I don't exercise,really helps the core!
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My friend in college was really big into hula hooping. I only tried it a couple times, but it is a great workout!

She made her own with tubing and tape.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Would love more info...what kind to get, best place to order/buy one, how does one know what size to look for, weighted/non weighted benefits etc etc. I hate to exercise and haven't done squat since signing up here so looking for stuff I can do at home.
  • KaityMarie379
    KaityMarie379 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree! Hooping is more difficult to pick up and develop a flow because its a honking circle of spinning plastic, that's where desire to learn falls sometimes..and yet, i still have the best times when I'm having a jam sesh with girlfriends. We feed each other tricks, illusions, isolations, and variety. I like spinning poi a lot too, and I like watching flow staffs, but no where ever have I heard that hooping is boring.