Does anyone take any sort of protein after exercising?

Options
Such as muscle juice or anything to help build muscle? If so, did you notice a difference?

Replies

• NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle then you should be consuming at least 1g of protein for each pound of body weight, unless you are quite obese. For instance, i weight 212 at the moment and I consume about 220g of protein a day. There's no need to consume it immediately after a workout either. The body stays in a positive nitrogen balance 24-48hrs post workout.
  • fatcheeksme
    fatcheeksme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How do you get your protein? Is it meat or vitamins? I'm a vegetarian so
    Are there other ways to get my protein?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    How do you get your protein? Is it meat or vitamins? I'm a vegetarian so
    Are there other ways to get my protein?

Protein comes from meats but also from dairy, nuts, and beans. Most whey protein is made from a dairy by-product of cheese production. Unless you're a vegan you should be able to eat this. There's also soy protein supplements you can buy if you're lactose intolerant or opposed to dairy in general.

To answer the original question I have a post-workout protein shake (after strength training) and usually another one during the day (normally breakfast) to bump me up to having about 1 gram per pound of body weight. I think it makes a great difference in muscle production. Protein or protein taken with carbs also fills you much longer than just eating carbs.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Vitamins don't contain protein. The best source of protein is meat but since you are veg then whey is the next best source. Lactose intolerant people can consume whey as well as long as it's "Whey protein isolate" I personally consume 3 whey protein shakes per day on top of regular food in order to meet my protein requirements.
  • beastm34
    beastm34 Posts: 12
    Options
    i take a pre workout supplement and then afterwards I take a lean protein shake. I don't usually use this one but i've just started using muscle milk formula. Only if I hit the weights pretty good though. If I just do cardio then i probably won't drink it that day
  • beastm34
    beastm34 Posts: 12
    Options
    since you're a vegetarian, you could eat lots of nuts and tofu! i love tofu and eat that a lot for protein (i'm not a vegetarian i like my meat but tofu is good in my opinion)
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I eat some sort of protein within 30-60 minutes after lifting...usually 3 or so ounces of chicken breast. Agree that whey is the next best thing.
  • lkc2854
    lkc2854 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I take a Chike protein drink to the gym with me to drink during my workouts. It's something I've always done since I started my weight loss journey back in Dec. 2009, so I can't say whether I notice any difference or not. But I just feel better about it than taking a plain bottle of water or Crystal Light to hydrate with.