Lost my motivation

Options
I am still watching my food intake, but I have completely lost my motivation to exercise. Every time I think about doing it, I just dread it horribly. Then I just don't do it. I'm probably not gaining any weight since I've limited myself to about 1200-1500 calories a day, but I'm definitely not getting the abs and thighs I want by not exercising. I can't afford a gym membership, so all I really have is a workout video. How do you guys stay motivated to exercise?

Replies

• saniyah1
    saniyah1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm having this same problem also. What I do is something for a couple minutes like my stationary bike then I try to do 20 wall pushups. I try these things a couple times a day but I'm just starting out too. I try an keep in mind if you do the same thing you'll get the same thing( in other words nothing will bring nothing. That's why I'll do small segments, it beats nothing at all. You can do it, try a little at a time ;)
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    sign up for a race/walk/run/anything. That's what i do..It makes me want to workout in order to not fail miserably at what i PAID money to do.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I make myself get up and exercise. It was really hard at first but the more I do it the better I feel. It took me months to finally get started. I don't let myself slack off because I know if I don't I won't get started again. Remember the benefits and how you feel after you exercise. I can tell the difference during the day when I don't exercise.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I am actually doing Chalean Extreme, 90-day program, different workouts, so don't get bored....and have planned Turbo Fire after this which is another 90-day program, then after that a hybrid of the 2. I think you need to try to keep it fresh and change it up.
  • gec1266
    gec1266 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just keep reminding myself that the only way I will get to where I want to be is to get up and do it. I always remind myself that it's not going to magically happen,so only hard work and dedication will get it done. That has worked for me so far......
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You have to find things you are interested in doing. Try new things. If you have never run, try running (that is my favorite now). If you have never tried hiking, try hiking. Tennis. Swimming. Speed walking. Whatever you want. I find that I get sidetracked if I'm not doing something I like to do, or if I don't switch it up from time to time. Even just walking will help you burn - and you can do different paths or routes to change up the scenery. If you really like the DVDs to use at home, buy a few extra on eBay or something - so you aren't bored doing the same one. Try working out with friends by taking walks together or getting together for a hike instead of meeting at a restaurant. Be creative - that is the BEST thing about working out! Best of luck to you! I know you can do it - you are here, so you are already headed in the right direction! :wink:
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    P.S. No one can motivate you, you have to remember why you started in the first place and how you are going to get to where you want to be.
  • Dorkaleena
    Dorkaleena Posts: 59
    Options
    I have the same problem. Motivating myself to exercise it rough. I just try to remember how much better I feel AFTER I do it and that helps. Not only do I feel PHYSICALLY better... but MENTALLY too. I'm proud of myself for getting offa my duff and DOING it!
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea of signing up to do a race/walk. Do you have a local running store (Fleet Feet)? If so see if they have any weekly group runs.
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I just make myself....or rather I rate the exercise....I think in my mind how much I would like to do for the day. If I have gotten at least that much in, then I don't sweat it....if not, then even if I don't feel like it, I'll keep thinking about it until I do, or go to bed kicking myself for not doing it. I also walk during my breaks at work so that way i am getting some activity in, even if it isn't of the intensity I would like. I figure some is better than none! If you are limited to videos, then I would recommend the 30 day shred with Jillian Michaels....it's only 20 minutes give or take for each stage and 20 minutes a day should be easy to find and it is definitely a decent intensity level.
  • UrSeeingRed
    Options
    Sometimes I get burned out doing the same exercises or even just going to the gym. Like I can't stand the sight of that building one more time. I give myself a break that day or even a couple of days and I don't workout at all and I don't feel guilty about it.
    Other times I just need to change what I'm doing. At my gym they have various classes included in my membership so I've been trying new ones that really helps me not feel bored or burned out. I just recently found out that there are some free workout classes held at a nearby community center maybe there are some in your area.
    If all else fails I go outside. Get outside and enjoy what your body can do, you've worked for it. Serious running and walking or not serious walking around the mall or the park or trails.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Find something different to do - go hiking, go on a bike ride with a friend, swop your workout dvd with someone else, look for a new workout on youtube, run up and down the stairs or hula hoop. Worst comes to worst put the music channel on and dance yourself stupid (my kids think this is hilarious and join in). Make yourself an obstacle course and time yourself doing it.

I get bored with stuff so I have to swop it about every so often. Some days though you just have to make yourself do it whether you like it or not.
  • shierrarobin
    shierrarobin Posts: 181
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll try changing it up like you guys said. That may be my problem. I only have one workout video, and doing the same thing all the time gets boring. I can walk around my home town with no fear of being kidnapped XD so maybe I could try that. To answer previous questions: no, there are no running/racing type events in my hometown. This place is tiny so not a lot goes on. There is one gym, but the place costs an arm and a leg. Me and my fiance have a lot of bills right now, so a gym membership is the last thing we can afford. Still, I'm sure there are other things I can do. I also just found out there are workout videos on Netflix. Maybe I can try some of those videos rather than sticking entirely to my old one. There's also more of a variety on Netflix from yoga to kick boxing.