help! The unknown of 1000 miles away

Options
Bmjnash
Bmjnash Posts: 101 Member
the unknown... So my husband just was informed about a potential job, its 1000 miles away. something that he would love to do for a career. better pay more benefits then the job he has now. I told him to jump on it and put his application in.

he's worried, we just bought a house and started fixing it up. and it's not just us 2 to pack up and move, we have 2 kids now. we have no family there for help either.

has anyone been in this type of situation¿? Did you have a hard time starting over from scratch ? I know we can do it ,
but how do I ease my husband nervous about it. whats your story?

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    You simply remind your husband that you love him and so long as you're all together everything is going to be ok. It's a new adventure and that's what life is supposed to be. Wherever you live it's your love that will make that place a home, so it really doesn't matter.

Good luck.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I haven't been in the exact same situation since obviously you own a house and have a child, but I've packed up and moved thousands of miles a number of times for jobs in the past. It seems overwhelming, but it's not that bad. Just make sure the finances are worth it including whatever gains/losses you will make from selling your house. You need to factor all those other costs in when deciding if it's a "good deal." If it is, then have at it. The biggest challenge is just setting yourself up in a good neighborhood when you move and getting familiar with the area. Other than that, it's kind of fun I think. There are lots of city focused websites online where you can ask about the place you're moving and get details on demographics, crime, etc and get typically good info. Just make sure you visit the place first and get a feel for it so you don't go there and totally hate it. Where you moving to?

I moved from North Canada to Minnesota on 1 weeks notice, then Minnesota to North Florida, now I'm at the southern point and moving north.

Also- any place can be unenjoyable if you're shut inside your home. Try to get out and see the area and make friends. It will boost your moral and motivate you more.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    the unknown... So my husband just was informed about a potential job, its 1000 miles away. something that he would love to do for a career. better pay more benefits then the job he has now. I told him to jump on it and put his application in.

he's worried, we just bought a house and started fixing it up. and it's not just us 2 to pack up and move, we have 2 kids now. we have no family there for help either.

has anyone been in this type of situation¿? Did you have a hard time starting over from scratch ? I know we can do it ,
    but how do I ease my husband nervous about it. whats your story?
    You can't ease his worry over it.
    It is his job and responsibilty to worry over such things.
    My personal suggestion (from experience) is to have him move ALONE and rent some cheap efficiency for a few months until things settle down with the job. Once he is comfortable, he can start apartment hunting for the family. Once he finds a place, have him get the BASIC furnishings and then, you guys can come move in and take your time unpacking.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't say I've ever had to move 1,000 miles but we have gone into some new towns with no friends or family and it can be a bit trying. Do you guys have a church? A motorcycle (lol)? No idea what city you will be going to but I suspect a lot of folks on here could give you ideas for that city if you just put the city since each one is unique. I just looked around for things to get involved in and pretty soon had all sorts of stuff going on for me and the kids.
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    When I tell people how many times we have moved, they assume we are military. But no, just following the opportunities as they arrise. I have gotten to the point where I look forward to the excitement of moving. I love learning my way around a new area, seeing new sights, making new friends, etc. I think my children have gained a lot from the experiences as well. My only advice is to take advantage of the opportunities while your children are young, then keep them as stable as you can during middle and high school. Then hit the road again!
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    Options
    We are in the process of moving now. Not quite as far as you, but it is still unsettling. My kids are excited and sad at the same time, they want a new adventure, but don't want to leave their friends. I am to the point where I just want this move done and over with:) I'm ready for a change but we aren't moving anywhere glorious, so that makes me a little uneasy. The one thing I can say is have a checklist ready and start going over everything. There are so many little things to take care of, it can get overwhelming. My husband has been living there during the week and comes home on the weekends, so all the packing and detail work is up to me. The first thing to do is wrap your head around it, relax, and find a place to live. After that it all falls into place. Good luck to you, as long as you have your spouse and kids with you, everything will be fine.
  • Bmjnash
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I love hearing from you. right now his job has no benifts ,no insurance or anything. He just got a raise but he make barly over min wage. Which is hard with a family of 4. Plus I lost my job last nov. I have been on unemployment. I love moving and seeing new places.

I just dont want his worries to stop him from trying to get this job
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    You simply remind your husband that you love him and so long as you're all together everything is going to be ok. It's a new adventure and that's what life is supposed to be. Wherever you live it's your love that will make that place a home, so it really doesn't matter.

Good luck.

This! Brett, that's very elloquently put!

/endthread
  • zombiefarmboy
    zombiefarmboy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've often wished I had the guts to look for a job somewhere that I'd prefer to live. Somewhere warmer year-round, down south. But the decent benefits and more importantly the familiarity of the job I have keep me from it. I commend your husband. I hate the thought of moving again after doing it a few times while in the Army.
  • Bmjnash
    Options

Good luck.

This! Brett, that's very elloquently put!

/endthread

I agree 110%.