Abs

Options
I know about muscle burning fat, etc. I've also read that the stomach is usually the last place you lose. Other than sit ups and crunches and things along those lines - do any of you have any tips on other exercises that work in toning your stomach and your sides? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm losing every where except my stomach.

Replies

• tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya babe! I am doing spinning 2-3x/week, Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones 3x/week (for months now), and just yesterday started up Jillian Michaels 6 Week Six-Pack. I've been doing WW for months (plan to quit and start here with MFP at the end of this month) and I swear I have this extra fat around my belly button that will.no.go.away. I am 5'1" and weigh 114 lbs and apparently 113 of those lbs are on my stomach!

I know we can't spot reduce fat and that the best cure is cardio and fat loss, but really how much more weight can I lose? It's driving me crazy.

And for your viewing pleasure, my abs (or lack thereof because they're hidden under a fat layer!):

288112_10150915114952911_576440379_o-1.jpg
  • ashleysports
    Options
    Hardest place for me too! Cardio helps with getting rid of the fat layer on our stomachs (along with eating right). Then comes the situps! Goodluck
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    sit ups and crunches, yes, but don't forget there are an abundance of movements that engage your core even though you may not think about it. Squats (front, back and overhead), toes-to-bar, dead lifts, snatches... all of these are going to help strengthen the area around you core section. And one of the best things of all, planks! Do a minute plank two or three times and tell me your abs don't burn :wink:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Your diet will greatly impact your abs as well. You can do all the sit ups in the world but unless your diet is (fairly) clean you'll never get rid of the fat.
  • drewols
    drewols Posts: 77
    Options
    Compound lifts will really help your midsection. However, if you want to train your abs specifically, get an ab wheel
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    It is genetics, I lose my arms belly chest first and then my legs last, I wish i could switch with you so we could even out. :)
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    sit ups and crunches, yes, but don't forget there are an abundance of movements that engage your core even though you may not think about it. Squats (front, back and overhead), toes-to-bar, dead lifts, snatches... all of these are going to help strengthen the area around you core section. And one of the best things of all, planks! Do a minute plank two or three times and tell me your abs don't burn :wink:

wapoooooosh! 2nd lifting some weights and doing compound movements. I don't do much cardio and boom profile pic to prove lifting works wonders
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Your diet will greatly impact your abs as well. You can do all the sit ups in the world but unless your diet is (fairly) clean you'll never get rid of the fat.

This, this, this.

That said, plank is a great ab work out. Both traditional and side.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

This, this, this.

That said, plank is a great ab work out. Both traditional and side.

I love planks.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Most people (especially those of us that are coming down from very high weight levels) will have an extremely difficult time ever getting visible abs, much less 6/8 pack abs. It requires a very, very low body fat level.

For me personally, I know if I ever get my body fat level down that low, I'll still have a bunch of skin hanging off that obscures the view.

I'd love to have a flat stomach, even if my abs weren't visible.
  • warh00p
    warh00p Posts: 3
    Options
    Any exercise that requires balance can be an ab workout. Balancing causes your core to fire lots of different muscles. So for example, if you're doing some type of exercise where you are standing, do it on one leg for one rep then alternate.
  • kay48040
    kay48040 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice - all of you. My diet is clean; I've been walking an hour a day; riding a bike for 15 - 30 minutes a day; doing 50 crunches in the morning, 50 at night - its coming off my hips.. just seems like right now my belly is gigantic.. it's driving me nuts.
  • kay48040
    kay48040 Posts: 21
    Options
    Right there with ya babe! I am doing spinning 2-3x/week, Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones 3x/week (for months now), and just yesterday started up Jillian Michaels 6 Week Six-Pack. I've been doing WW for months (plan to quit and start here with MFP at the end of this month) and I swear I have this extra fat around my belly button that will.no.go.away. I am 5'1" and weigh 114 lbs and apparently 113 of those lbs are on my stomach!

I know we can't spot reduce fat and that the best cure is cardio and fat loss, but really how much more weight can I lose? It's driving me crazy.

And for your viewing pleasure, my abs (or lack thereof because they're hidden under a fat layer!):

288112_10150915114952911_576440379_o-1.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the Jillian Michaels DVDs. I've been flying solo, doing what I do - anything to keep moving.. I think its time I fall in and start working out with Jillian. lol
  • ktbug1186
    ktbug1186 Posts: 266
    Options
    Here's the one i've been doing, seen good results in my abs and arms!

http://weightlossandtraining.com/fat-loss-weight-training-program

And im starting this one tomorrow :D

http://weightlossandtraining.com/ab-workout-routine
  • ginawood1
    ginawood1 Posts: 8
    Options
    Cardio is great for stomach and abs. I'm a big girl, and I carry my weight in my stomach. I work out on the treadmill and bike 3-4 times a week and wear a stomach wrap to help me sweat more in my stomach, sides and back. you can get one at walmart for like $7. I have only lost 11 lbs so far, but can see an amazing difference in my stomach and my sides are starting to curve again, rather than just blend all in. :) My plan in theory is to wait to do sit ups and/or crunches til I lose some more of the weight. from what I know, those are more 'strength building' and I don't want to build muscle in my stomach til I lose more of this blubber. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    THIS. Heavy compound exercises force you to keep your abs tight or you'd fall over and collapse. Personally I directly train abs (crunches, leg lifts, etc) maybe once a month.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit (doesn't have to be clean). Compound lifting.