I need a recipe

Options
Eve23
Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
edited November 2023 in Recipes
Ok years ago I had a great recipe for mock mayonaise. I have lost it over the years and I would really like to find one that I will like and is simple. I know there are alot of different ones out there I just haven't found one to my liking yet. So if anyone has one they like please post it.

I can't stand the low-fat mayonaise I just do not like the taste.

Eve

Replies

• Eve23
    Options
    Ok years ago I had a great recipe for mock mayonaise. I have lost it over the years and I would really like to find one that I will like and is simple. I know there are alot of different ones out there I just haven't found one to my liking yet. So if anyone has one they like please post it.

I can't stand the low-fat mayonaise I just do not like the taste.

Eve
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hi Eve,

I found this recipe:

Mayonnaise Recipe

2 egg yolks
    ¼ teaspoon of mustard
    1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar
    250 ml / 8.8 fl oz of olive oil (don't use extra virgin as it has a rather bitter taste)
    2 teaspoons of hot water
    ½ teaspoon of lemon juice or to taste
    salt & pepper to taste
    Place the 2 egg yolks, mustard and vinegar in a blender or large bowl. Whisk for 1 minute. Very slowly pour in the oil, whisking continuously until the mixture has a thick consistency. Whisk in the hot water, this helps stabilize the mayonnaise and gives it a lighter colour. Flavour with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Chill before use. If stored in a covered container and refrigerated, the mayonnaise will keep for up to 2 weeks.

(Makes just over one cup)

Variations

Garlic Mayonnaise or Aioli: Add ½ to 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic.
    Herb Mayonnaise: Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of your favourite fresh herbs finely chopped. e.g. parsley or chives.
    Tartare: Add ½ a tablespoon of chopped capers and 1½ tablespoons of chopped Gherkin.
    Chilli: Add ½ to 1 teaspoon of very finely chopped chilli pepper or alternatively 1 to 2 teaspoons of sweet chilli sauce.
    Thousand Island or Seafood Cocktail: Add 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce (ketchup), 1 tablespoon of brandy or sherry (optional), 2 teaspoons of Worcester Sauce (Lee & Perrins), 2 to 3 drops of Tabasco sauce (to taste) and a pinch of paprika.
    Caesar or Anchovy: Add 3 or 4 finely minced anchovy fillets, and ¼ to ½ a teaspoon of crushed garlic.
    Red Capsicum: Puree a small piece of capsicum to make 2 tablespoons of smooth paste and mix with the mayonnaise.
    Sun Dried Tomato: Add 1 or 2 finely minced sun dried tomatoes and 2 to 3 leaves of shreddedbasil (optional).
    Blue Cheese: Soften and puree a small wedge of blue cheese and mix with the mayonnaise.
    Parmesan: Add ½ to 1 tablespoon of finely shaved parmesan.
    Orange: Place lemon juice with orange juice in the recipe and add a little grated orange rind (zest).
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I just found this other one.. =)

Heart Healthy Mayonnaise

This isn't a low fat product, so use sparingly if you're cutting calories. It does remove the cholesterol from mayonnaise, and the oils are heart healthy canola and olive, rich in essential omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
    1/4 cup egg beaters/starts
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 cup canola oil

In blender, mix egg beaters, olive oil, mustard, salt and sugar on high until blended. While still running first add lemon juice, then slowly pour in canola oil. You will have to perform the "turn off - stir - restart" maneuver several times in order to get a smooth product.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I just entered Hellman's Lite into the database tonight.

It's only 45 cal. per tablespoon. Which is great! I had
    a tuna with lettuce onions, pickles and 2 slices of american cheese
    and 2 tblspoons of that Mayo

335 cal for that whole thing, filled me right up and didn't kill me on the
    fat or carbs. Perfect.

Now I can watch my beloved Red Sox kick the Tar out of the poor Rockies on a full
    stomach and not crave salties all night. :)
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    oops, forgot to add, it was on a 4" whole wheat pita (about 70 cals)
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    i used to eat mayo but since last spring i have been substituting dijon mustard and oddly enough i don't miss it. on fit tv the other day it recommended doing just that.
  • CMJ1979
    CMJ1979 Posts: 42
    Options
    Requested Recipe -- Mayonnaise
    FoodReference.com
    I would like to make my own mayonnaise at home so I can add various flavors and herbs. Is it worth doing this, and how long will it keep in the refrigerator? Which would be best: made in a blender or food processor? Should it be stored in sterilized jars? Any recipes? ANSWER: Mayonnaise made with raw egg should be used within 24 hours. The best mayonnaise is made with a hand whisk, next would be with a hand held electric mixer. Blenders and food processors give a different texture.

Ingredients

2 egg yolks, 1 cup oil, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice (optional), salt, pepper Directions 1) Get all the ingredients together. 2) Put the mustard in a bowl. Separate the egg whites one after the other and mix the yolks with the mustard. 3) Season with salt and white pepper. 4) Whisk in a rotating pattern to mix egg yolks with mustard. Pour the oil in gradually. 5) The oil will combine with the mustard and eggs, making a mayonnaise. Keep whisking until all of the oil has been added. 6) At last, whisk vigorously to thicken the mayonnaise. Add the vinegar or lemon juice (optional). Use within 24 hours.
  • Eve23
    Options
    The mayo recipe I had and have lost was mock obviously but it was super easy and had no eggs. It kept for a week or two in the fridge with no problems.

I may try some of these but I have similiar ones already. I appreciate all the suggestions and if anyone comes across one they think might fit the bill I would love seeing it.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Here's a mock-anaisse recipe on this page. You need to scroll down a bit to find it.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/FAST/veggies.html

hope it helps.
  • Eve23
    Options
    Awhile ago I was searching for a mayo replacement that I could use on sandwiches. I knew that the one I was looking for had yogurt in it but wasn't sure if I would be able to find it. Well this weekend I had the time to search it out. I thought that maybe some of you might like it also because it is very vesatile.
    The first one is the most like my original recipe but the second seems like it might be good as well.

A mayonnaise with much less calories

Ingredients:

1 small pot of natural yogurt (Plain)
    1 teaspoon of mustard
    Salt and pepper
    2 teaspoons of lemon juice

Directions:

Mix all ingredients with a blender or a whip.

Option: you can add spring onion and parsley.
    Also pickled cucumber and shallots minced to get a diet tartar sauce!

Yogurt Mayonnaise

2 tb Butter
    4 tb Whole wheat flour
    1 c Milk (any type)
    1 c Yogurt
    1 Egg yolk
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1 tb Sugar
    3/4 ts Dry mustard
    1/2 ts Salt

Stir flour into melted butter. Add milk and stir over medium heat until thick and smooth. Remove from heat and beat in all other ingredients, ending with the yogurt. Refrigerate.
  • reneejodobbs
    Options
    have you tried using Smart Beat?
  • Eve23
    Options
    No I don't think I have ever seen it. I am on a tight budget so I bypass many things if the price is not in my range. What is the price like? And I think most importantly what is the taste like?

Eve
This discussion has been closed.