How Often Should I Weigh Myself?

Options
So, I am new to this dieting stuff, how often should I weigh myself? How often do you weigh yourself? And should I weigh myself at a certain time of the day?
-Thanks <3

Replies

• BAYDOLL
    BAYDOLL Posts: 1
    Options
    I TRY TO WEIGH IN THE MORNING AROUND THE SAME TIME ONCE A WEEK....FRIDAYS ARE BEST FOR ME, JUST IN CASE I MESS UP ON THE WEEK END. =)
  • xKenzie_Brookex
    Options
    Thanks! I was thinking the same thing but was not sure if that was a good idea, now I guess it is and will try to do that. :)
  • kulaid813
    kulaid813 Posts: 21
    Options
    I've heard a couple different thoughts on this. One group says to weigh yourself daily and others say to weigh yourself Weekly. I myself weigh myself every morning before I eat breakfast. This helps me make sure I'm on track. That being said, I tend to lose weight very fast (.5 - 1 lb per day). If you lose weight at a slower rate, you may want to consider checking your weight only once a week or less so that you don't get discouraged if you don't see the weight coming off daily.
  • Jkc9059
    Jkc9059 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Crazy but that is the way I am: I have been pondering this the last few days....I have an addiction...So here it goes...Hi my name is Kim, and I am addicted to my scale. (This is where you all say, HI, KIM!) I get on it in the morning, and before bed, and if it catches my attention as I pass by. It frustrates me, it makes me cry, I think it lies... anyway I had my husband hide it from me back in February that lasted about a day..You would of thought it was crack and I couldn't live without it. Anyway in order for him to tolerate me and be able to live with me he gave it back...so the saga continued... so here is what I have decided... I am doing my weigh-in on Monday my official weigh in day..I am then giving my scale to my friend at work who is going to take it home with her 40 miles away...she has agreed to keep it and not return it for a month. I can and will survive this... Wish me luck!!

Posted earlier in another post hope this helps
  • jmcross1980
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, in the morning after I pee. No joke.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, in the morning after I pee. No joke.

Exactly. Do it first thing in the morning with an empty bladder. I weigh every day but either way you should eventually start seeing a trend of a decreasing weight. Some people weigh every day and just record one day as their official weight. Once a week at least but no more than once a day for sure.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    So, I am new to this dieting stuff, how often should I weigh myself? How often do you weigh yourself? And should I weigh myself at a certain time of the day?
    -Thanks <3

Weight yourself as soon as you wake up and have had your first visit to the toilet, but before eating or drinking anything, if possible. That way, what you are weighing is most likely to be body weight, and not include as much undigested food or un-expelled waste in your digestive tract.

As far as frequency, well, how well can you handle the truth? I weigh myself pretty much daily. I do not log all of my weigh-ins - decreases get logged immediately, increases must be sustained for a few days before I log them because they are almost always sodium-related water retention or something that will clear up in a day or two. Unless I've eaten an extra 3,500 calories the previous day, I'm not putting another pound on the next day. So I either ate late and haven't pooped out the detritus from that meal, or had too much sodium and need to flush that out with extra water.

The daily weigh-ins give me feedback and really help me learn a little better how my body works, and I like the information. I never weigh in more often because there's never another time in the day when what I am weighing is as likely to be mostly body weight.

Some people can't handle the daily variations, and that's perfectly understandable and OK. If you're one of them, weigh in weekly or biweekly or even monthly. You're only tracking it for yourself, so do what feels right.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Studies show that people who weigh themselves everyday tend to be more successful at weight loss. BUT there's a lot of water fluctuation. So, I recommend weighing yourself everyday and averaging the weight at the end of the week.

However, I tend to obsess over the number, and I trust myself to stay on track, so I only weigh in a couple times a month.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's totally up to you. I'm one of those that weighs every day, and logs it every day. It has got me very used to seeing the scale go down, then up, then down again. Very frustrating at first but I'm used to it now. A lot of people find it too stressful to weigh every day because of the fluctuations, or they find that they start to get obsessed with it. So, for them, weekly or even monthly weighing is better. Some people don't weigh at all, and just go with measurements and how well their clothes fit.

Most people seem to weigh themselves in the morning, after using the toilet and before eating or drinking. It's best to either be naked, or wear the same/similar clothes each time. However you do it, if you're as consistent as possible, hopefully you will get an accurate picture of what is happening.
  • CopyCat97
    CopyCat97 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Do it first thing in the morning with an empty bladder. I weigh every day but either way you should eventually start seeing a trend of a decreasing weight. Some people weigh every day and just record one day as their official weight. Once a week at least but no more than once a day for sure.

I do both, i record a daily weight and a weekly official weight.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    -Thanks <3

Never (okay, maybe not never...), you should monitor measurements and body fat %
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh daily and it would drive me daft if I didn't see a change. Then I decided to weigh weekly and that drove me daft too LOL.

I now weigh monthly. It gives me something to look forward to at the end of the month and makes a bigger difference if I see the weight loss over a bigger time scale. Occasionally I might weigh myself one or two times throughout the month to see if I am on track, but my official weigh in is once a month.
  • xKenzie_Brookex
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,358 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday or everyother day because I am a binge eater and weighing daily helps me stay in control when I have urges to binge. If I wait a week I can gain 15 or more pounds if I get in a binge cycle.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week on Saturdays, in the morning after visiting the loo. Mentally I cannot handle weighing myself every day; the day to day fluctuations would aggravate me to no end. I don't need the stress LOL
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    oh, and definitely measure yourself!! I started losing weight in January but did not start measuring until June. I wish I knew what my starting measurements were.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,358 Member
    Options

Weight yourself as soon as you wake up and have had your first visit to the toilet, but before eating or drinking anything, if possible. That way, what you are weighing is most likely to be body weight, and not include as much undigested food or un-expelled waste in your digestive tract.

As far as frequency, well, how well can you handle the truth? I weigh myself pretty much daily. I do not log all of my weigh-ins - decreases get logged immediately, increases must be sustained for a few days before I log them because they are almost always sodium-related water retention or something that will clear up in a day or two. Unless I've eaten an extra 3,500 calories the previous day, I'm not putting another pound on the next day. So I either ate late and haven't pooped out the detritus from that meal, or had too much sodium and need to flush that out with extra water.

The daily weigh-ins give me feedback and really help me learn a little better how my body works, and I like the information. I never weigh in more often because there's never another time in the day when what I am weighing is as likely to be mostly body weight.

Some people can't handle the daily variations, and that's perfectly understandable and OK. If you're one of them, weigh in weekly or biweekly or even monthly. You're only tracking it for yourself, so do what feels right.

Well said and I agree totally. I do no go daft or crazy when the scale goes up. I rethink why it went up and now I pretty much knows what makes it go up and what makes it go down, and the scale is my friend not the enemy. :flowerforyou: But like the writer here states, everyone can not take weigh ins. It is a very personal decision.

My thoughts are if getting on the scale affects your whole day negatively if you are up then you may not want to weigh in daily and since you are new at this you may just want to experiment. :wink: and then choose what works best for you.
  • jahzbuttafly
    jahzbuttafly Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Crazy but that is the way I am: I have been pondering this the last few days....I have an addiction...So here it goes...Hi my name is Kim, and I am addicted to my scale. (This is where you all say, HI, KIM!) I get on it in the morning, and before bed, and if it catches my attention as I pass by. It frustrates me, it makes me cry, I think it lies... anyway I had my husband hide it from me back in February that lasted about a day..You would of thought it was crack and I couldn't live without it. Anyway in order for him to tolerate me and be able to live with me he gave it back...so the saga continued... so here is what I have decided... I am doing my weigh-in on Monday my official weigh in day..I am then giving my scale to my friend at work who is going to take it home with her 40 miles away...she has agreed to keep it and not return it for a month. I can and will survive this... Wish me luck!!

Posted earlier in another post hope this helps
    ^^^^HAH!!! LOL!!! This used to be me. I joined SA (Scales Anonymous).