P90X vs. INSANITY! WHICH ONE!?!?!?

Options
Thinking of doing one of these programs, which one would be better?!?!?!

Replies

• Electrikat
    Options
    I have Insanity and did it for a few weeks but all the jumping and leg work made my thighs bulk up really bad. But I guess my body is weird like that because everyone says that women can't bulk up.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    They are two totally different programs that will give you two totally different TYPES of results. One includes weight training while the other is exclusively cardio with the only resistance being some basic bodyweight exercises. Insanity will reveal definition but it won't add shape to body parts that have none (except possibly your thighs as a result of the plyometrics).

Basically you have lots of cardio vs. some cardio with lots of weight training.

Honestly though there are better out there regardless of your goals. These programs only get so much hype because of the intense marketing behind them.
  • hjackson1226
    hjackson1226 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Honestly though there are better out there regardless of your goals. These programs only get so much hype because of the intense marketing behind them.

I did Insanity for a while but got bored with all of the repitition of the DVD's...That being said I did burn some fat but got no definition. What would you say is a better program to try? I would love to find something that helps burn fat AND build/tone muscle.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

I did Insanity for a while but got bored with all of the repitition of the DVD's...That being said I did burn some fat but got no definition. What would you say is a better program to try? I would love to find something that helps burn fat AND build/tone muscle.

In my experience, most of the best shrink-wrapped programs out there come not in video form but in book form. Check out stuff like Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women, You Are Your Own Gym, and Starting Strength. Focus on muscle building exercises while remaining in deficit or at maintenance. Fat burning will take care of itself as long as you're not overeating because the workouts you do will ensure that muscle takes priority over fat when it comes to who gets the nutrients. You'd go much farther though if you put your own program together from some fundamentals of exercise you learned.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I love P90X and would recommend anyone to try it. You have to give it a couple of weeks before you decide to quit though. The first week is the hardest. I love the muscle definition peaking though my fat :happy:
  • judysaprincess
    Options
    I have done both and although got amazing results have now got my booootay in the gym to Start the JE Live Fit Trainer....which I LOVEEEEE phase one is tooo easy for me so I definitely have added more...Insanity & P90X gave me amazing results...but I also ate pretty well too :)!!!! Now the gym & the pavement are my new lovessssssss...and it's funny I can't stand videos anymore unless I have a buddy :) I get bored watching....although they still remain tough workouts...I won't bad mouth the programs because they DELIVER :)!!! I did a hybrid of the both because yes P90X lacks the cardio part, but Insanity will definitely fill in those gaps!
  • tweak206
    tweak206 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've done both and like what others posted they are pretty different. P90X is more balanced with alternating cardio and strength training. While Insanity is an intense cardio fat burner. I actually gained weight from P90X which was from muscle gain. With Insanity my endurance increased a lot. Normal exercises like jogging on the treadmill were much easier after Insanity. Both are good but Insanity seemed a little more manageable since P90X took more time on average per workout.
  • xiaxiong09
    xiaxiong09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think I am leaning towards instanity right now but dont know if I can handle all the movement!
  • michaelispas
    michaelispas Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a hybrid of both and it's a great combo.

Insanity- 60 days long and lots of jumping and such to get your heartbeat working hard.

P90X- all-round program with lifting, cardio, and recovery. I have a review of P90X if you want to read- http://teamchiseled.blogspot.com

Either program will be awesome to go through with. You'll need to stick through the first couple weeks since that's the hardest for everybody with being sore and change of nutrition and whatnot. Bring it!
  • greggags2
    greggags2 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've done P90X and Insanity the Asylum both are great and will get ou in great shape. If you want help and accountability while doing either of these programs I'm starting a P90X and Insanity Challenge group if you would like to join
  • Mattbaynham
    Options
    I have done both, and everything i have read here is pretty accurate. I have settled on using both sets of DVD's. Insanity on cardio days, P90X on upper body and core workout days, but the P90X Plyo is pretty good cardio and lower body mix. Mixing up the DVD sets helps fight the monotony a little and is a better cross-train.