Insanity, is it for me? NEED HELP.

Options
Height: 5'4
Weight: Roughly 200lbs

I really don't know where to begin, but I'm not going to use that as an excuse! I've been looking into starting Insanity, and wondering if maybe I should start off way slower or just go for it and do it? I'm clearly very out of shape. Advice?
Regardless I want to start exercising, if you don't think Insanity is the right thing for me to do, want would you suggest?

Side note, I am also changing my diet for healthy alternatives to the nasty junk I was eating/ drinking before.
Being at 200 lbs has made me ashamed of myself and my body and I want to be happy again!

(Please don't post if you're just going to be rude)

Replies

• ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I tried insanity and thought I was going to stroke out. :noway: But I'm just a little bit older than you. Do what you can and go easy when you need to. Trying to actually BE Shawn T when you start will kill you. :laugh: But feel free to admire his sweaty hotness the entire time.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I would start with the 30 day shred... its way cheaper (12 bucks maybe less, maybe 9)... then once you get fitter you can upgrade as you go. Starting insanity when you aren't fit enough is...well...insane.

JM also has her own version of insanity. I know some people think shes annoying but she is really well versed in helping you grow with your workouts.
  • Blueknight12
    Options
    I just finished the 4th week of insanity and i love it. It is definitely hard, but worth it. You might want to exercise for a few weeks before you start it though. That would help.
  • cutenemo
    cutenemo Posts: 8
    Options
    I'd start off with the 30 day shred, it's a pretty good starting point and you do see fast results, then move on to insanity. but thats just what i think never tried insanity b4 but it looks extremely hard, Good luck :D
  • greerhawkins
    Options
    NO! Insanity is not for you. Insanity exercises are plyometric- meaning you work out by way of fast and explosive movements movements. (i.e. jumping). These exercises are meant for bona fide althetes looking for an alternative to cardio and a easy at-home alternative to help tone their muscles. When you start trying to get into shape, things like insanity could be detrimental to your muscles and bones. You have to build before you can perfect. Doing something like insanity after you've been sedentary for a prolonged period of time can easily result in muscle strains, if not more serious injuries. It would be very unfortunate to take one step forward then end up ten steps back because you're having to recover from these exercises. Making this a real life style change by starting off with some simple cardio is definitely the way to go.
  • una48
    una48 Posts: 43
    Options
    You might want to check out Leslie Sansone, if you dont want to jump straight into the deep end.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have insanity but have been hesitant to use it. I started out at 226 (5'1) in January, and just started walking for 30 minutes 4 times a week first. Then I stepped it up to Zumba, and now I'm an addict. About 5 weeks ago (175lbs) I started C25K. Two weeks ago I tried a Turbo Fire 30 Min HIIT. If you have not been physically active in a while try walking first, then add more to the regimine. Maybe after walking some you can feel more confident for insanity. I have looked at the insanity fit test and that scares me, but my goal is to give it a try in the next month.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    Im on my second round of Insanity and STILL CANT KEEP UP!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: But its good cardio and if you do try it enjoy your cardio recovery days you will have earned it. I suggest either that or a Cathe Fredrich dvd. Insanity is more cardio the cathe is strength.
    Insanity is sooo funny. Shaun T refers to himself in the 3rd person, he asked 1 of the girls how she felt and said she "felt like ****" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Its a real dvd the people are not all smiles and cute. They look how you will look doing the workout. I :heart: it
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3", I started the 1st month on my lifestyle change by focusing on logging food. The first month I lost weight consistently every week with little (dog walking) or no exercise.

2nd month, I added exercise. A lot of walks that eventually became jogging. Still had to walk the dogs 3 times a day though.

3rd month: I joined a bootcamp class

4rth month: INSANITY dvds on the days that bootcamp was cancelled.

Since then I have consistently worked out 2 - 3 times per week (an hour each time) and am really comfortable with this type of lifestyle. I prefer working out in groups, I forged new friendships and it motivates me to come to class twice a week.

I don't recommend going crazy with strict eating and constant working out starting on Day 1, it may demotivate you in the long run. I did baby steps each month and I am pretty much on my way to my goal.

GOOD LUCK!
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    NO! Insanity is not for you. Insanity exercises are plyometric- meaning you work out by way of fast and explosive movements movements. (i.e. jumping). These exercises are meant for bona fide althetes looking for an alternative to cardio and a easy at-home alternative to help tone their muscles. When you start trying to get into shape, things like insanity could be detrimental to your muscles and bones. You have to build before you can perfect. Doing something like insanity after you've been sedentary for a prolonged period of time can easily result in muscle strains, if not more serious injuries. It would be very unfortunate to take one step forward then end up ten steps back because you're having to recover from these exercises. Making this a real life style change by starting off with some simple cardio is definitely the way to go.

I am not and have never been a athlete. But Insanity is a very intense workout.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have been doing P90x since January. I was pretty athletic to start with, but I wanted to get healthier and more fit, so I committed to it. I absolutely love it and have been doing it ever since. I was 203 when I started in January and now I weigh 172 and I am in the best shape of my life. A healthy diet and using MFP helped me a lot as well.

Is Insanity for you?

Only you can answer that, but I can tell you that 2 other guys I play hockey with (also athletic when they started) began Insanity when I started P90x. Both injured their knees because Insanity is intensely Plyometric (Jump training).

Tony Horton who does the P90x series is about 46 and is very conscious of people with knee issues (he has a bum knee himself from a skiing accident), so although he incorporates vigorous cardio and some plyo, my opinion is that P90x is an all-around better program than Insanity.

I think someone in their 20s, looking to max out their fitness might benefit from Insanity - but I think for someone just starting (especially out of shape) it could do some serious joint damage. Just my 2 cents...
  • bailyc
    bailyc Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just finished Insanity on Sunday and started at 229 lbs (5'4 also). It is intense for sure but you control the pause button. If you do start the program just remember that you do not have to keep up with the people in the video. Just do what you can. I promise it will still be a workout and you WILL improve. Good luck with whatever program you choose. Cheers.
  • Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would suggest do some working out prior to starting insanity so you don't hurt yourself. I know prior to me Insanity I started working out about 2 months before I decided that I shoudl be okay. If you think you cna handle it try it. You don't want an injury. that will put a hamper on alot of things.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I have seen ppl who haven't ever worked out or not for a very long time and have done well with Insanity. I have also seen ppl who jumped right into Insanity and got discouraged b/c it was too much too soon and are right back to square one. What I suggest to people is start out with something more geared to beginner/ intermediate, like Brazil Butt Lift (now available as a 30-day free trial) or Turbo Jam and work their way up to Insanity. Insanity is an advanced program and also high impact and tough on joints. Turbo Jam and Brazil Butt Lift can completely be modified for low impact (not low intensity though) and is a great way to start conditioning your body for the more advanced programs in the future.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Ok so
    a few weeks before Insanity came out around 2009, Shaun T was in NYC showing us the work out. I was about 50lbs overweight at the time and went and met him and was introduced to INSANITY.
    IT IS NOT A BEGINNER WORK OUT WHATSOEVER. I was dying as were many of my friends there who were used to work outs like P90X. There is NO warm up- your WARM up is just starting full force....you start JUMPING around right away. I went up to him after the work out to talk to him and he admitted to me that it's not for beginners.
    I'd also be careful if you have joint problems.
    It's very advanced. There are other workouts out there that I think are more fun and not as insane LOL but if I were in tip top shape, I am sure I'd love it! :)
  • ReneeCK
    ReneeCK Posts: 63 Member
    Options

^^^ This. Really good advice. I notice you are young and have a boyfriend, maybe invest in something like a Wii? Zumba is nice and Wii Fitness is really good for just starting out. And 2 can play! As long as you are moving you are moving in the right direction :flowerforyou:
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Only you can decide if Insanity is right for you. Know going in it is, well..., insane; however, you control your pace and intensity, along with the pause button.

I started Insanity in February. At that time I was unathletic, unhealthy, and weighed in at 240. It took me 90 days instead of 60 to get through Insanity but it was worth every minute. For the first couple of weeks I followed the workout schedule to a "t" and found by body getting very sore. I started adding in a couple of rest days during the weeks and felt much better. With Insanity and a more healthy diet I was able to drop 30 lbs. I weigh less now, eat much healthier, but I am still very unathletic!

Now I'm a few weeks into my 2nd round of Insanity and am still losing weight at a pretty good rate.
  • drsteph01
    drsteph01 Posts: 82
    Options
    I am doing Insanity right now, but I've also completed several other fitness programs over the last year. I agree with several other people in that you should probably pick a different program to start. I would say just start with walking, stretching, light jogging, etc, but I know that sometimes it is hard to stay accountable without a set program. That is why I love Beachbody programs. I need a schedule to follow. I started with Ten Minute Trainer about a year ago and I've also done Slim in Six. Both are great programs for beginners and Beachbody programs include free coaching. My coach helped me stay focused and a year later, I'm still at it.

Whatever you decide, just pay attention to your body and stay within your limits. You don't have to keep up with anyone on a video, running on the trail with you, or working out in the gym beside you. Good luck!
  • barney50501Missy
    Options
    I started out at 222. I walked first, then did Zumba for a bit, then I did 30DS. I am down almost 40lbs and just started Insanity last week. Having done the 30DS is helpful because you get into the routine of quick work and some explosive cardio. There is no way I could have done Insanity first. I would suggest starting a bit slower. Throw Insanity in a little later.

Good Luck!! :wink:
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I saw an infomercial for that and think it is well named. Don't know what your fitness level is but Leslie Sansone is a good one to start with, easy on the joints. I also like Gilad, though he does some jumping. Both have a positive attitude that I like. If you like dance you might try Hemalayaa's (sp?) videos.