Lose inches, not weight?

Options

Replies

• angieleekid
    Options
    And how can you be a vegetarian and eat tuna?

SORRY, I AM A PESCETARIAN. I HAVE TO REMEMBER TO SAY THAT, VEGETARIAN COMES OUT EASIER :)
  • angieleekid
    Options
    WOW SOME AWESOME ADVICE AND IDEAS! THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE!
    BTW, I HAVE ABOUT 50-60 LBS TO LOSE SO I HAVE QUITE A WAYS TO GO. I ALSO AM A
    VEGETARIAN SO THE CARB INTAKE IS A LITTLE HARD TO CONTROL SOMETIMES. I EAT A LOT
    OF NUTS AND BEANS, BUT I KNOW YOU CAN ONLY HAVE SMALL PORTIONS OF THEM BECAUSE
    OF THE CALORIES. STRING CHEESE IS ANOTHER SNACK I HAVE FREQUENTLY. AND TUNA
    SINGLE POUCHES. I WILL FOR SURE KEEP GOING. I WILL BE MEASURING MYSELF TONIGHT.
    THANKS!!

Lets see if we can figure this out. How many Calories are you eating a day?

THEY ALLOW ME AROUND 1,500/DAY WITHOUT THE EXERCISE. I'M USUALLY WITHIN A HUNDRED WHETHER I GO A LITTLE OVER OR UNDER. AND WITH EXERCISE, WELL WHAT I DO USUALLY ADDS 500-600 CALORIES. BUT I THINK THAT TRICKS ME INTO EATING MORE? SOMETIMES I'M NOT REALLY THAT HUNGRY BUT AM LIKE "OH I'M ALLOWED 300 MORE CALORIES SO I'LL HAVE SOME POPCORN, BECAUSE I CAN" IS THAT BAD TO DO? I ALWAYS HEAR YOU DON'T EVER WANNA BE REALLY HUNGRY...
  • amyliz0226
    amyliz0226 Posts: 37
    Options
    bump!
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread! I've been doing the 30 day shred now for 14 days (12 days of working out and 2 rest days) and have lost 1/2 inch from each arm, 1 1/2 inches from my waist and 1 inch from my hips but got on the scale this morning and haven't lost any weight at all.

Today it is my TOM so that could also affect my weight. I hope next week I start to see some weight loss even if it is just 1lb! If not I don't know whether to decrease my calories? Currently I'm allowed 1510 to lose 1lb a week and am eating back my exercise calories. I'm 5ft5 and 196lb so have quite a lot to lose but want to do it slowly and maintain it!
  • flores403
    flores403 Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree i am in the same boat!! It becomes depressing b/c in the past that has never happened to me.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    It is possible to lose inches and not weight. Have you taken your measurements? If not, you should. I record all of them - waist, hips, chest, thighs, calves, arms (upper and lower) and neck - I even started watching my wrist measurements, because I was losing inches everywhere, but not the pounds. I am happy with inches lost though - means I get to wear smaller clothes sooner!!

^^^^^

This! I write mine down every week. The scale did not move for me for 2 months! but I was losing 1/2 inch to an inch a week. The scale is the devil.
  • flores403
    flores403 Posts: 2
    Options
    how long have you been taking this? Are they safe? How much weight have you lost?
  • mowree
    mowree Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP in May, I lost 4 lbs. the first week. Since then, not much change. I have lost and gained the same pound for three weeks now. LOL! BUT I have also lost a total of two and a half inches from my waist (woo hoo) which is exactly where I want to lose. So....if I were relying on the scale, I would have quit already.
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    bump for reference
  • BorderlineChap
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat 1lb of muscle is same weight 1lb of fat,(both r 1lb) muscle just takes up less room n is denser.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Are you doing strength/resistance training? If so, muscle mass is more dense than fat tissue. New muscle mass will make it look you are either gaining or not losing.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I haven't lost any weight (even out on a pound) but have lost 2.5 inches of my waist and 1.5 inches off my waist in the last 3 months. I say definitely measure yourself, because i understand how disheartening it is to work so hard and those scales dont budge, but the measuring tape probably has. Good luck x

YES, THIS! I measure too, because I'm not losing weight....I've actually gained! Measurements will fluctuate also everyday due to water retention, bloating, etc. So, do the same thing you would do if you were weighing yourself.....do it the same day, same time....don't do it everyday!
  • dolenk
    dolenk Posts: 1
    Options
    Actually muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. That's a myth. If you put a pound of fat on the scale and a pound of muscle, they would weigh the same.... A pound. Muscle is DENSER than fat. So if you put a pound of muscle next to a pound of fat the muscle would be smaller. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of rocks. A pound is a pound is a pound. But muscle is SMALLER than fat. So I would definitely measure INCHES.
  • quiltchickie
    quiltchickie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    And this
    Why the Scale Goes Up When You Start a New Workout Plan

By Chalene Johnson

Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, "Help! I'm gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?" This is a common phenomenon with any new exercise program, such as Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, or others! It's especially common (and temporary) with intense strength training programs like ChaLEAN Extreme or Tony Horton's P90X.

The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight. However, what most personal trainers know--and most at-home exercisers do not--is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn't say weight gain! I'll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit.

The temporary weight gain explained:
    When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens, the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen due to fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated, become discouraged and quit!

When I worked with a group of 70 test participants during the development stages of ChaLEAN Extreme, this happened. Who was the most upset and discouraged? You guessed it... the women! I'm happy to report absolutely for every single woman (and man) in our group, the weight increase was temporary and never lasted more than two weeks before they started to see a major drop in the scale. However, these people had the advantage of working with someone who was able to explain to them why this was happening and assure them the weight would come off if they stuck to the nutrition plan and stayed true to the program.

If you follow a multi-phase exercise plan, such as ChaLEAN Extreme, keep in mind that when you start each phase, your body will be "in shock" again. Don't be surprised or discouraged if you experience a temporary gain on the scale the first week of each phase.

My own personal example of this is running 10Ks. I don't do it very often, maybe once or twice a year. Even though I run on a regular basis, when you run a race, you push much harder. It's natural for me to be insanely sore the next day. It�s also very common for me to see the scale jump 4 pounds the next day from forcing fluids post race and the resulting DOMS. Even though I know the cause of it, it's still a bummer. We're all human and hard work should mean results. Hard work equals results, but our bodies are amazing machines and they know how to protect us from hurting ourselves. Soreness forces you to give those muscles a break. Ultimately you will lose the weight and you will change your metabolism in the process.

The key is understanding that this is a normal and temporary and stick with the program!

When to be concerned:
    If you experience a significant weight gain (exceeding 5 pounds) that does not begin to decrease rapidly after the second week, guess what it is? I'll give you one hint... you put it in your mouth and chew it. You know it! Your food (or calorie-laden beverages). News flash, friends� exercise doesn't make you gain weight. Consuming more food than you burn makes you gain weight!

So if after two weeks you are not losing weight and have gained weight that's not coming off, it's time to take a close and honest look at your food intake. Start using SparkPeople's Nutrition Tracker regularly, and be honest.

Moral of the story:
    Be patient young grass hopper. You'll be lean and mean in no time!

from here
    http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan

Thanks. This is exactly what I needed to read today. :)
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Really ... I would MUCH rather lose an inch than a lb. Like really I would.

If I could lose all my baby fat (k .. really just "I sat on the couch too long fat") .. and lose the inches I would be happy. My weight ... who cares, it is not the most important thing. In fact it really is no where near as important as actually losing body fat.

The scale is NOT the definitive answer .. it does not accurately reflect the real state of things.

- Kevin -
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump. Great topic
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    In the last 28 days I have lost 4 pounds which would be really discouraging if I wasn't measuring because in those same 28 days, I've lost 22 inches from all over.

The scale could say I'm 1,000 pounds for all I care as long as the inches keep coming off. =)
  • dorkamom
    dorkamom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am using Oxyelite Pro and L-Carnitine.

Oxyelite Pro is a thermogenic. It speeds up your metabolism and it will make you sweat a lot when working because it's a thermogenic

L-Carnitine use the your bodyfat for energy causing you to burn more fat.

I use both together and I am getting good results
    where do you get these from?
  • mariawilliamsme
    Options
    Its possible to lose inches and not weight because of protein accumulation or the muscles we gain also add to our weight. Inches are mush easier to lose than the actual weight