Drinking water........Not easy for me

Options
I am really struggling with getting enough water during the day. It's not that I don't like it, I just tend not to drink much of anything. I've always been this way (I also see signs of my 9 y.o daughter being this way too). Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful hints to make it easier?

Replies

• b_fit4life
    b_fit4life Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I carry a 32oz nalgene bottle with me pretty much everywhere I go. It's a freindly reminder!
  • Ladyeliah
    Ladyeliah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have that problem when I'm not at work drinking hot water to attempt to stay warm. What I try to do on the weekends is fill my water bottle right after I get dressed and then sip on that while I'm moving through my morning. That starts my day off as being used to drinking water and usually makes me drink more throughout the day. It's easier in the summer since I use ice water as a low cost way to cool down. :)
  • jbobb15
    jbobb15 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have found that a straw helps me sip a lot more. For instance, without a straw it'll take me all morning to finish a glass, but with a straw I'm likely to finish it all at once. Other things that help may just be getting a giant jusg that will hold all the water you want to drink for the day that way you have a visual of how much you have to go. BTW, you will have to pee ALL. THE. TIME. when you start drinking enough. Don't worry, its just a phase, it'll ease up after a while.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    I have a 56oz jug I fill up in the morning , and add a crystal light pack of my choice and before you know in 7 glasses down
    I drink another 1-2 glasses of plain water before bed...helps me out:)
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I actually always have to have a drink on hand - so I would think that keeping it handy at all times would really help you out - or maybe reward yourself weekly (or every two weeks or whenever) when you hit the suggested amount for a whole week to motivate you.
  • aspires10
    aspires10 Posts: 7
    Options
    At work, I recently have tried adding the calorie free MiO type wate enhancers to my 16.9 ounce water bottles (I buy the Aldi and WalMart vesrions). They come in various flavors and are very small so very portable. They also come in versions that contain caffeine. I don't know what the draw backs are of drinking "pure" vs flavored water, but if I didn't flavor water, I would never drink it! I also keep a chilled 2 liter pitcher of generic Crystal Light in my fridge.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I just knock it back lol push through the awfulness!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I like to eat things that force me to drink water. Dry cereal, spicy foods, and plain toast are 3 things that I regularly eat to force myself to drink water. I like water anyway but this helps.
  • kbobb7
    kbobb7 Posts: 6
    Options
    Great suggestions..........thanks!! I think I like the idea of having a straw and filling a big container for the day. I'm really at the point of forcing myself into it, but I'm hoping that as time goes on it will just become a habit. I come from a long line of iced tea drinkers. And my hubby still drinks about a gallon of iced tea a day (sweetened, of course). I just bought the Mio drink flavor that is called "sweet tea" and it is really similar to the real thing. Maybe that will help too!

Thanks again! :happy:
  • SaraHaxton1
    Options
    I chug it. I grab a bottle(that I refill) and chug it. And I do it 4 times a day. But I eat a lot of wet foods, like watermelon, peaches, plums, grapes, really juicy fruit, so I don't really need to drink as much. if your(TMI) pee is clear and very pale yellow then your fine. The 64ozs of water a day is a myth. as long as you are well hydrated you don't need to drink a lot.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I agree that 64 oz/day for all is a myth. Listen to your thirst levels. Tea counts. Obviously, if you're trying to lose weight, caloric sweeteners aren't a good idea. You don't have to be one of those all-day-sippers. Chug a small glass at mealtime, or stick to teas.

I read an intuitive eating book that actually advised AGAINST carrying around a water bottle and sipping all day. She likened Americans to babies with their constant sipping and snacking. When you think about it, we didn't do this 40 years ago. Cars didn't have cupholders. Coffee came from a pot at home. Soda came in 8 oz. cups. A business meeting wasn't an occasion for bagels or sandwiches. Her point was if you learn that you don't need mouth stimulation/activity all day, it can be easier to focus on our body's true signals for food and water.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I leave for work at 5.50AM
    I drink one bottle (which is 2 cups) on the way to work in my car.
    One bottle when I serve breakfast to the residents I look after.
    One when I set up trays for lunch
    One when I am done cleaning up, doing dishes and helping the people in the bathroom.
    One on my drive home.
    One after work out.
    One before bed.

14 cups plus any others I might have.
    Make it a ritual. I need rituals to make me feel content so I might as well use them to get my fluids!
    And although drinking water might not be needed - I find if I didn't drink that much water through the week I don't lose as much as when I do.
  • Leimaro
    Leimaro Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I carry a 32oz nalgene bottle with me pretty much everywhere I go. It's a freindly reminder!

I do the same. I drink from it after waking up, before my a.m. workouts, and finish 1 bottle by the end of it. I drink a refill to make 64oz. around lunch, dinner and in between so that most of the time I finished it by evening. Sometimes, I drink more. I used to not like to drink a lot of water, but because I retain water easily ( low consumption of salt too.) I forced myself. Now, it's habit. Can't go anywhere without my nalgene. Also, I am so use to drinking this much that when I don't, my body lets me know. Using a straw is a great tip also!
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    The trick I use is to fill a large glass, bottle, whatever you use and fill it with an amount that you can consume pretty quickly. For example, I drink a 24oz Nalgene bottle. I can consume that amount in less than 1 minute. You always remember to eat right? :) Make it part of your routine and drink that water right before you plan to eat, while your preparing, etc. It also serves another great purpose as it helps fill you up virtually preventing you from over eating. Like others, my bottle is then filled constantly where I'll drink it periodically throughout the day. Also, one other trick that seems to work better for me is to drink room temp water. It seems easier to "chug" than cold but that could just be me.

Good luck!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I disagree with those who say that if your pee is very pale, you don't have to drink 64oz minimum...

I was like that for years...then I got a 14mm kidney stone :( I was laid up for 3 weeks, and had to have 3 surgeries to get rid of it. My urologist did tests to find out WHY I was creating these stones ( this was the 3rd one for me) and the first thing he found was that I was chronically dehydrated. He advised that I needed a minimum of 12 glasses a day, and 16 would be better. I also have to do a 24hr urine collection and have an x-ray every 6 months!

I now drink at least 10 glasses a day, more often 16+...I drink 3-4 during my morning work out, then refill my water bottle for the trip home. that one is done by the end of lunch...then I refill it and try to finish it in time to cook dinner...and one more bottle before bed. each of my water bottles usually holds 3-4 glasses. I find that it doesn't seem as intimidating if I say I only have to drink 4-5 bottles instead of 16 glasses! My water bottle is usually within arms reach...
  • Ketomaniac9
    Ketomaniac9 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I drink water, but if i find myself getting bored of it too much I will use a flavoring pack.. it doesn't hurt I promise!
  • Ashmcfarland
    Options
    I have a hard time w/ artificial sweeteners, so I use different fruits to spruce up my water. I love adding lime, lemon, or watermelon to add a little flavor. I've also recently discovered adding a few crushed mint leaves makes water really refreshing and easy to drink!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    a splash of lemon juice and i will chug happily. otherwise, i rarely instinctively go for water.
  • JustDeena
    JustDeena Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am in the group of - Carry a water bottle. I got in the habit of doing this, mostly because I was constantly out and about (work/School) and when I had to choose between paying for water and paying for soda out of a vending machine, I usually picked soda or some other flavored drink. Now I can refill the bottle pretty much anywhere for free. So not only am I getting healthy, I am saving money (a Min of 30 dollars a month).
  • cedillosf18
    Options
    I am the exact same way, i find that cristal light helps a lot, i dont put the whole pack in, i think my brain just needs the coloring effect :) but by the end of the day i notice that i drink the needed amount of water plus more.