Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome

Options
Hi there everyone,

So I just joined this site a day ago and decided to write my first topic! whoo!!
I have a question for the ladies who may have knowledge in this area, you see, i have Poly cystic ovary syndrome and this contributes to having a hard time with weightloss. I'm just wondering if there are any other women out there with this condition and if they have any tips and advice regarding diet and weighloss. Thanks a bunch!

<3

Replies

• mamabearcushing
    mamabearcushing Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Many people may not respond to this because its under the wrong option.

The only thing I can suggest for PCOS is to eat estrogen blocking foods.

Whole grains, Cruciferous vegetables, grapefruit, pomegranate, and mushrooms.
  • Jackieochoa333
    Options
    Hi there!

I also have PCOS and just started using MFP. I know how hard it is to lose weight.
    I found this website which gave me more insight of what PCOS is and Tips of what foods to avoid.

Feel free to check it : http://pcosfighters.wordpress.com/
    And add me if u want ^_^
  • sc00typuff
    sc00typuff Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you,
    I'm new, so i'm not sure what topics go where.
    i'll be sure to find the right place and repost :)
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Please sign up for one of the PCOS groups on this site.

I think you'll find more success filling your diet with food that does not stimulate a lot of insulin response. PCOS has a very strong link to insulin resistance and the less you stimulate insulin production, the better you'll be able to manage your symptoms.

The other very important factor is to do plenty of exercise to help your body be less resistant to insulin so that your pancreas does not have to keep pumping out more and more.

Hope to see you in the PCOS groups. You'll find lots of knowledgeable and compassionate women there.

Best wishes!
  • Zolita
    Zolita Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have had for the last 17yrs. I was always told to cut out processed sugars, especially to aid weightloss and for pregnancy. Have to say I love chocolate so for years I just ignored it all and then was deflated when I didn't conceive. Once I faced up to it I was pregnant within a month and had lost 14lbs.

I think it's a sensible thing to stick to a diet without processed sugar but also fake sugar like in diet drinks as it fools your body into thinking that you are getting the sugar and your insulin levels rise.

Hope it helps.

Zoe and bump number 2 :)
  • sc00typuff
    sc00typuff Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yay! it's nice to see i'm not alone in this,
    thanks everyone for your replys and friend requests :smile:
  • sallystella
    Options
    Hey - Have beed diagnosed with PCOS as well. They tried metformin on me and I didn't notice any difference. The ONLY thing that has ever helped my feeling of well-being and quickly changed my shape is low carbing. It keeps your blood-sgar level and controls your hungar and cravings after just a few days. I promise you - I have tried everything and always come to the realization that low carb is the way to go. South Beach, Atkins, The Zone - all work beautifully and if you follow one correctly - it will work and will be healthful. I loved the book, "How I gave up my low-fat diet and lost 40 lbs" by Dana Carpender. It lays it out for you in simple, rational terms. Good luck! Sallystella
  • katielangley
    katielangley Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have had for the last 17yrs. I was always told to cut out processed sugars, especially to aid weightloss and for pregnancy. Have to say I love chocolate so for years I just ignored it all and then was deflated when I didn't conceive. Once I faced up to it I was pregnant within a month and had lost 14lbs.

I think it's a sensible thing to stick to a diet without processed sugar but also fake sugar like in diet drinks as it fools your body into thinking that you are getting the sugar and your insulin levels rise.

Hope it helps.

Zoe and bump number 2 :)
    Thanks for the info... I have PCOS also, and have never really looked into the diets for PCOS!! Thanks!
  • snkoyle15
    snkoyle15 Posts: 102
    Options
    i have PCOS too! was diagnosed about 3 years ago now. like one of the other ladies brought up, insulin resistance is HUGE with PCOS and unless you get that under control, it could very well be almost impossible to loose any weight. even if you are eating low carb foods and exercising, you may need some medical help. Metformin is a medication that helps a lot of women with PCOS. it helps your insulin receptors to be more sensitive, which then means your body will produce less insulin. another "diet" to look into is a low glycemic index. low/no carb diets can be really hard to follow, basically because your body NEEDS carbs, you just have to know how to pick the right ones. the glycemic index is basically how fast your body breaks down different foods. the faster it breaks it down the faster you absorb it, meaning your sugar levels are going to spike then drop. if its a low gi food, its harder for your body to break down so you absorb it slower meaning no spike so your sugar levels stay leveled out longer. also, with pcos you want to STAY AWAY from any artificial sweeteners! with IR, if you eat the artificial stuff, your body still thinks you are getting the sugar, so its going to pump out the insulin to deal with it. but you have no sugar so you end up with all this extra insulin floating around. extra insulin is then stored as fat and screws up your hormone levels making it even harder to loose weight. i would STRONGLY suggest getting the book PCOS for Dummies. i just finished reading it not long ago and it has a TON of info in it and is very easy to understand. feel free to add me if you want
  • okayjaytee
    okayjaytee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm Jannet, 23 years old, and I have PCOS. Other than myself and two other friends I don't know anyone with it. All my doctor has told me is to lose weight so it goes away. I didn't even know there was a diet related to it. I'm definitely going to join the PCOS group.
  • bookin01
    bookin01 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hello! I have PCOS as well. I have been using MFP, Fibit, staying away from sugars & starches, and exercising more. This has helped me so much. Finding a good support group helps too! We are not alone in this battle. Welcome to MFP!