I can't get to 1200 calories

Options
Hi,
I'm new to the calorie counting thing. Years ago I did the South Beach Diet and it worked great. For the past year I've tried different things and nothing! So I downloaded the my fitness pal app and started counting calories. The app says I need to have at least 1200 a day. I've only gotten close to that 2x. I really don't want to hire a nutritionist, but i'm at my wits end. I have thyroid disease, I really don't get hungry. I force myself to eat 5 times a day, all healthy and still cannot get up to 1200. My doctor hates most diet programs. He will not give the green light to Weight Watchers because he thinks they would feed me too much. Everyday the app tells me that my body is going to think I'm starving. But I'm not in the least bit hungry.

Anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences?

Replies

• Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You can try to use more calorie-dense foods (avocado, et al) rather than volume.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    drink your calories in smoothies and protein shakes.
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    What are ur stats? Is 1200 net or total? Ur issue is a weird one cuz most ppl can't keep under 1200
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Same as above posters, eat more calorie dense foods....and I can't see your diary, but are you sure your tracking correctly? Do you weigh your food, etc...sometimes we calculate lower than what we actually eat/calories etc
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've never understood that. 1200 Calories is nothing. Maybe try nuts. Lots of protein, good fats, and a couple handfuls of 'em is easily over 300 Calories.
  • 3DFitness
    3DFitness Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Scientifcally speaking, starvation mode isn't something that happens between meals or bcause you didn't eat enough one day. Starvation mode is actually when your body begins to waste away because you are at criticially low levels of body fat. For women that number is about 10-12% so I doubt you have nything to worry about...
  • SaraHaxton1
    Options
    This is why I keep fruit, 100cal ice cream cups, 100 cal snacks, fiber one bars, fat free milk, and Hersey kisses in the house. At the end of the night I am on a snack binge sometimes to meet my calorie goal because I worked out too hard that day.
  • robertthesnail
    Options
    No offense, but I'm getting really tired of seeing this type of post. Getting to 1200 calories is infinitely easy, and I don't understand why people can't figure this one out for themselves. Just one of the thousands of ways to make getting to 1200 easy: a 22 ounce Mcdonald's chocolate shake is 870 calories. Problem solved.
  • tracy1031
    tracy1031 Posts: 36
    Options
    If you consistently feel strong, energetic, and healthy then I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise, as mentioned by others - nuts, avocados, cheese, yogurt, etc. are all good.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    I have found this site a great resourse for information, support and tools that all function to help us reach our fitness goals.
    As for reaching 1200, that's easy. Eat a McD cheeseburger - anything is better than starving your body.
    You will fail eating so little. Be warned.
    You are getting some other suggestions too, consider that. Starvation diets just don't work.
    Just read up and follow the MFP recommendations; eat lean meats, low fat dairy, whole grains, nuts, fruits and veggies.
    Simple!
    Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
    And this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    Learn all you can.
    Track your diet and exercises; you can do this.
    ALL IS POSSIBLE :flowerforyou:
  • hddeuce1966
    hddeuce1966 Posts: 104
    Options
    I too have an underactive thyroid and don't really get hungry. I can tell I need to eat when my hands start shaking. I think it is important to get close to 1200 calories a day so I keep eating until I get there, even if I'm full. Peanut butter is a healthy food that will add calories fast. Also avocados. It has taken me about a month to get my daily intake consistently up near 1200. My diary is open if you would like to take a look.
  • leea022002
    leea022002 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thats a great idea and I don't know about anyone else but avacados are so yummy. Maybe also try a handful of nuts, protein I love peanut butter but I have to really go easy on it. I have a hard time eating all my calories too so I understand what you feel and I have a under active thyroid. And it seems like I can loose 20lbs then its all down hill. Godd luck :)
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    No offense, but I'm getting really tired of seeing this type of post. Getting to 1200 calories is infinitely easy, and I don't understand why people can't figure this one out for themselves. Just one of the thousands of ways to make getting to 1200 easy: a 22 ounce Mcdonald's chocolate shake is 870 calories. Problem solved.

^^ This.
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    Wait!!!! Under active thyroid??? Shiiiit!!!!! I've had that for years. Symptom of ur dose being off is never hungry, get ur htc levels checked or ur matabolism is f-Ed cuz that's what hypo does so u need to eat more to jump start ur again. And just to add I'm ALWAYS hungry and I'm on 120mcgs never have issues with wanting to eat
  • emmarangel
    emmarangel Posts: 19
    Options
    This is good to hear because I'm having the same problem of eating 1100 calories a day. I actually changed my goal to 1100 calories because I couldn't eat that many calories. I eat 5-6 meals a day and I weigh/measure everything and I try my best to have a good source of protein in each of those meals. One thing I'm confused about is the amount of protein the plan suggests for me. I always go over the suggested amount so is this okay? I rotate my workout regime....one week I'll do cardio 3 days a week (every other day) the other two days I do strength training. The next week I switch it up. I've been on this eating/exercise routine for two weeks now, and even though I don't have a scale to weigh myself, I can definitely see & feel the difference in my clothes. All I want to do is lose 10 lbs. which isn't a lot so I'm hoping this won't take forever. Thanks for all the tips!
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I agree with the "eat foods higher in calories" comment, that way you won't feel like you are eating all the time. I've done the 1200 cal thing, it's hard, even for me. I set my calories at 1000 right now, but I've actually been going above that. If you try to do more exercises throughout the day you might feel your appetite growing. I am a cook as well as a Nurse assistant, as hard as both of those jobs can get, sometimes I just can't burn the calories that I want to. So, I started wearing a HRM and whenever I can I just jog in place, :D This morning I was in a hurry so I drank my protein shake and coffee. I've done some more running around so I'm getting hungry and I eat a salad, and I was running around a little more so I am feeling hungry again so I think I will eat another snack. It took me a while to be able to eat as much and as frequently as I do now. I'm in much better shape though. It takes a while, but eventually your body gets the hint and it starts cooperating. You will feel much better in the end :)
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options

Hahahahaha! That's funny. Definitely go out to any fast food place and you'll have your 1200 in no time. ;) BUT, the point is to do it in a healthy way, you don't want to eat too much fat with your 1200 because that is counterproductive. It takes a lot of healthy food to reach that goal. But I see your point.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    You can try to use more calorie-dense foods (avocado, et al) rather than volume.

This. Nuts, peanut butter, avocado, etc.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    You CAN. It's very simple. You just eat food higher in calories.
  • willia123
    willia123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Take a shot of olive oil in the morning or toast an English muffin and pour olive oil onto it...handful of almonds, an avocado. Honestly, I could get to 1200 just by eating a few things. Wild sockeye salmon is a perfect high calorie protein for dinner.