what are you tracking BESIDES calories?

Options
So I finally figured out how you can adjust what you can track. For me I think watching my Sodium intake is really important, but I wonder if I should also still include Carbs and add Sugar as well? Do you think those top three would be sufficient (of course calories is priority)? So I am thinking : Calories, Sodium, Carbs & Sugar... Or does it matter? I just notice that when I do eat out alot even if it is low calorie that my body feels gross the day after and I think that may be due to high sodium. But than I hear that having low carb and sugar is ideal for losing weight. Any thoughts on this? What are you tracking?

Replies

• shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    #1 - Calories
    #2 - Protein
    #3 - Fat
    #4 - Carbs
    $5 - Sodium
  • kenmunson333
    kenmunson333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Calories
    Carbs
    Protein
    Fat
    Sodium
    Fiber
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    #1 calories
    #2 Protein

My macros are 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat.
    I try to get around 100g of protein in.
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Calories
    Carbs
    Fat
    Protein
    Sodium
    Potassium

I started tracking potassium because I was getting a lot of leg cramps in the middle of the night, I am barely getting half the recommended potassium so I am trying to up that.
  • SaraHaxton1
    Options
    For me it is
    Cal
    Sodium
    Iron
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Calories
    Carbs
    Fat
    Fiber
    Sat Fat
    Sodium

Those are the things my dr. told me to watch
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I do carbs/fat/protein/fiber/potassium.

Edited: Sugar is a carb as well, so if you're tracking carbs you're tracking sugars as part of it. Unless you're diabetic, I wouldn't track sugars separately -- trying to fit under the sugar guidelines leads many people to stop eating fruit, because MFP doesn't distinguish between natural and added sugar.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I like to keep my carbs around or under 120 and my protein over 100. I am one of the few in the world that could care less about sodium. I'm always over. My blood pressure is great and I don't get the crazy and infamous sodium related water retention that people speak of.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Fat: I try to keep it low, make sure I have good fats in there
    Sugar: Making sure that my processed sugars don't make up my entire day. I am always over due to the fruit, honey, and milk products I eat.
    Carbs: I like them, your body needs them
    Protein: Making sure I get enough based on the workout/recovery schedule
    Sodium: I try to keep it under on the non-workout days.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    calories/sodium/fat/iron
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Calories
    Fat
    Protein
    Carbs
    Fiber
    Sodium
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I'm set to track Carbs, Fat,Protein, Fiber, and Sodium. I use everything but protein purely as observational.

For MOST people the only really important thing is getting adequate protein (by the way, MFP's protein intake is set really low, you should PROBABLY be doing at least 1.5x that much, more like 2x.)
  • just1jules
    just1jules Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thank you for the replies, this was helpful. I agree with you Tameko2, that MFP has protein set so low. I love my protein and always seem to go over :)
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    For me...

Calories
    Fat
    Carbs
    Fiber
    Protein
    Sodium

I'm tracking Sodium but unfortunately I still have WAY too much... but I'm hoping once I get comfy with the amount of calories I'm eating, I can work on lowering my daily sodium intake.
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I guess the most important for me are calories and sodium. I get chronic kidney stones from high sodium amounts. :( Ultimately I love my salt but found no salt as an alternative
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your specific health issues are. I would definitely track calories, carbs, fat, and protein. Then add based on your specific concerns.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Calories
    Carbs
    Fat
    Protein
    Sodium
    Potassium
  • caramellattekiss
    caramellattekiss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm tracking:
    Calories
    Carbs
    Protein
    Fat
    Sat Fat
    Sodium

I've only just started tracking Sodium, I was tracking Iron before. I think I might chop and change that last slot to keep an eye on my diet as a whole. I like to use the numbers as a guide to if I'm getting enough of certain things, not just making sure I don't eat too much.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Inches, Fat, Sugar, Sodium, Protein, Carbs
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I track potassium, because I get foot & leg cramps pretty easily, and calcium, because most women don't get enough. I ignore the sugar, because I know where my sugar comes from, and 2 pieces of fruit will push me over MFP's limits. I'm not concerned about sodium; I don't eat a lot of processed food, use very little added salt, and don't have any medical conditions that would make me concerned about sodium intake.