Getting a tan! But what is this?

Options
I've started getting a tan since I've been more active. But my forearms and upper arms are covered in white dots! They're white enough to be scars. What is this and how do I make it go away so I can show off my tan? I haven't had a tan since I was a kid and they look like polka dots. I'm super embarassed about it..

Replies

• hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what it is, you might want to go to the doctor.

Have you been putting on sun screen?
  • Nukkers
    Nukkers Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely! And they're not raised bumps.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    sweat rash?
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    Maybe it something with the pigment of your skin. i get those sometimes when I get extremely tan. But i remember getting them as a kid too. I don't think it is a big deal. I think its like some spots don't tan with the rest of your skin.
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It kinda just looks like you were wearing teenie polka dot band-aids and took them off, right? It's called hypopigmentation and they say it's sun damage (I have that problem, too). I'm fair, so as I've gotta older I get them more along with some crazy freckles. Nothing to worry about. :)
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
  • Nukkers
    Options
    I don't think so. But possibly. I've never had one.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    It's a skin condition where your skin lacks melanin in those spots. My mom has it, I have it, and my aunt has it so bad that she has big white splotches on her arms, like cow markings but white. And she's olive-skinned so it's very noticeable. No matter how much you tan, you can't fill them in unless you get a spray tan. Try using Jergen's Natural glow on your arms in addition to tanning if you don't wanna spray tan. I have a circle of white on the left side of my abdomen but other than that just very tiny white dots that really aren't that noticeable. At least noone's ever said anything to me lol
  • Nukkers
    Options
    Is it genetic Pheebs? Now that I think about it my grandma has something like this along with some weird freckles.
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This.
  • brittany17love
    brittany17love Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would try using a tanning lotion. When I went tanning I did this so I never got the white patches, but if you start tanning you never want to stop or you will be back to white like myself!

They sell tanning lotions there at any tanning salon. Get one and put it on RIGHT before you tan. You tan quicker and should keep away white spots (:
  • dpod2007
    dpod2007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Possibly tinea versicolor. I's caused by a fungus and is pretty easily treated.
  • luchien
    luchien Posts: 15
    Options
    I get them on my legs but they are hard to see unless you look close. Doctor said it's where melanin (part of your skin that turns color when you tan) doesn't produce anymore. So in those spots I just don't tan anymore. But frequently it is from a fungus. I would see a doc about it, and they can provide a cream that can help.
  • wilson1134
    wilson1134 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Use Selsun Blue blue. Rub on your spots and leave to dry for about 10 min then shower. Usually takes a week of this treatment. I have the SAME THING!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    When I was goin to the tanning beds bout 2 years ago my legs were nice and tanned well I ended up with lil red spots all over the thighs of my legs and I went to the doctor and he said it was my skin pigmitation. My legs were never tanned that dark before it's weird how once you start tanning all kinds of colors come out. LOL.

On a side note my mom gets them lil red spots all over her arms every year when she starts to get a tan from the sun and she always calls it sun poison. Doubt that it is.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If you have been taking antibiotics (even a long time ago), you can get a benign fungus on your skin. It won't show unless you get a tan. Years ago, this happened to me. I lived in Alaska, so it was after a vacation when I noticed I had white spots on my chest. A doctor can give you some medicated cream to put on it. It is caused when you take antibiotics or certain steroids (like prednisone). Antibiotics kill ALL germs, even good ones, which allows other stuff to grow on ya. Steroids suppress your immune system and the same thing can happen. If it is from a fungus, it should show up clearly under a black light. One other possible cause is; you may be developing a condition called vitililgo, which can cause white patches on your skin. This is caused by a deficiency of the melanin in your skin, which is where your skin gets its pigmentation.

Edit: I see wilson1134 has a home remedy. Selsun Blue has an anti-fungal in it (selenium sulfide). Zinc oxide ointment might work as well.
  • Nukkers
    Options
    I've been under black lights recently and it definitely didn't show up. Does this absolutely rule out a fungus? But I will be seeing my doctor by the end of the month.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I've been under black lights recently and it definitely didn't show up. Does this absolutely rule out a fungus? But I will be seeing my doctor by the end of the month.
    No
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Is it genetic Pheebs? Now that I think about it my grandma has something like this along with some weird freckles.

Yes, it is. I have odd colonies of freckles, too. It didn't happen as much when I was younger.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    Do you use a spray sunscreen? One time I didn't spray a heavy enough layer and you could tell the areas of the skin that weren't completely covered.