My Knees hurt when I do Jillian Micheals regularly

Options
Knees Hurt: 3 on a 1 - 10 scale.

Does this happen to anyone?
Is it ok to continue if knees hurt or its going to become an issue in the long run? I am kind off concerned. Can anyone suggest?

Replies

• sweetestofwords
    Options
    Never continue with anything that hurts your knees. With all the jumping in Jillian MIchaels' videos your knees can easily be harmed. It could get serious in the long run. If you have continuous pain, try to cycle instead for awhile, it might help :) .
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Must. Refrain. From. Obvious. Joke.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

also resisting the same joke, would suggest changing positions though so you don't put as much stress on your knees :laugh:
  • austindog2
    austindog2 Posts: 128
    Options
    I have chronic IT band issues, so my knees hurt doing the 30 day shred. I do it every other day usually - I also try to make sure, during the workout, that my feet are always parallel, toes facing forward. I notice that my feet tend to penguin-out during strength moves like the lunges and also with the butt kicks. Paying extra attention to making sure my feet are aligned correctly has made a big difference.

I also do static stretches before the workout - just sitting hamstring stretches, quad stretches, etc.

I'm not sure where on the knee is bothering you, but my foam roller does wonders for 'stretching' my IT band after the video and makes it feel SO much better! If it keeps hurting, don't push it. I really screwed my knee up in January when I pushed running too hard, and I was in PT for 3 months. Take it slow and listen to your body :)
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options
    Try not doing the exercises as "deep" do them more modified, if that doesnt ease up the strain, then take a break before you are hurt to the point that you cant do anything without pain, and then you will be in a pickle for sure.
    Are you doing it every day? Most people need a day of recovery, you are human ;) Make sure to do something else inbetween days that is cardio only and not high impact, like cycling or swimming.
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Dont let anyone stop you from these exercise because you have pain in the knees, your knees are going to hurt! my knees hurt at first too. It may be because of a couple of things. Really watch your knees as you do squats and other things that your knee is bent. The knee should never go over your foot!! It is harder to do the exercise that way at first because your legs are just weak right now. They will get stronger and you will be able to perform these exercises with more ease as you go along. I know it hurts, you are talking to a girl who spent 4 weeks holding on to whatever was around when I sat or went to the bathroom because I could not bare the pain! It is called Patellar Tendinitis.

NOw for a bit of a cure. I bought the cheapest knee wraps I could find and bought them in a big size, I went home and put ice in plastic baggies and wrapped the baggies in paper towels so they would not give my knees freezer burn. I stuck those baggies down into the knee wraps on top of my knee caps and just above and sat with my legs strait. I also took 4- 200mg Advil (Ibuprofen) in the morning and 3 at night. (I can not suggest medication to you as I dont know your medical status...but it worked for me, I am on no other meds) the first night I kept my knee in the wraps at bed time after I took the ice out (about an hour later). The next day my knees were a bit better and the next day they were almost pain free!

The worse case scenario is that you have tears in your ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) But I doubt it if it goes away with time. You are going t to experience pain, it is going to hurt even after you get fit and then decided to push it a bit further. I can tell you that it it worth it.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I would suggest modifying the high impact knee exercises, either by doing the move less vigorously or doing a different move that still keeps your heart rate up and your body going.

You could also focus on doing moves on the side that strengthen the muscles around the knees in order to slowly help improve the problem. :)
  • NoChub4Me
    NoChub4Me Posts: 27
    Options
    Dont let anyone stop you from these exercise because you have pain in the knees, your knees are going to hurt! my knees hurt at first too. It may be because of a couple of things. Really watch your knees as you do squats and other things that your knee is bent. The knee should never go over your foot!! It is harder to do the exercise that way at first because your legs are just weak right now. They will get stronger and you will be able to perform these exercises with more ease as you go along. I know it hurts, you are talking to a girl who spent 4 weeks holding on to whatever was around when I sat or went to the bathroom because I could not bare the pain! It is called Patellar Tendinitis.

NOw for a bit of a cure. I bought the cheapest knee wraps I could find and bought them in a big size, I went home and put ice in plastic baggies and wrapped the baggies in paper towels so they would not give my knees freezer burn. I stuck those baggies down into the knee wraps on top of my knee caps and just above and sat with my legs strait. I also took 4- 200mg Advil (Ibuprofen) in the morning and 3 at night. (I can not suggest medication to you as I dont know your medical status...but it worked for me, I am on no other meds) the first night I kept my knee in the wraps at bed time after I took the ice out (about an hour later). The next day my knees were a bit better and the next day they were almost pain free!

The worse case scenario is that you have tears in your ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) But I doubt it if it goes away with time. You are going t to experience pain, it is going to hurt even after you get fit and then decided to push it a bit further. I can tell you that it it worth it.

I am sorry, but this is horrible advice. If it hurts, stop. You risk further or permanent damage to your knees. Remember, you don't have to do Jillian Michaels or run a marathon to be fit and healthy.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Muscle ache is one thing, joint pain is another. Even if the pain "goes away" and you continue to work out, good luck in the future dealing with arthritis.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options

also resisting the same joke, would suggest changing positions though so you don't put as much stress on your knees :laugh:

Great restraint shown by ALL ... But as they say if it hurts do something different...
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The same thing started happening to me about a month ago but instead of not working out to her videos, i stretched a bit more and went easier on the squats and lunges. After about 2 weeks my knees felt much better and i do RI30 daily!
  • angelajmrn
    angelajmrn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have chronic knee pain. When I did Jillian I would not do the jumping as it was unstable for me. During those times on the video I just jogged in place. I felt that I was still moving and getting my heart rate up. This worked well for me.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Try Bob Harper instead