How do you keep yourself motivated?

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm in need of some advice....I'm finding it really hard to keep myself motivated. The thing is, I'm not losing weight for myself. I'm losing it for my grandma - she was told by the doctors that she needs to lose weight quickly, but didn't tell her how. So I sacrificed the chocolate, cake and sweets for her health, and i'm helping her exercise and diet.

So far she's lost 5lbs! And for a 64 year old, I think that's really good :) but she's never motivated, and recently I've become less and less motivated, and now it's such an effort to push myself to do the exercise, nevermind make my grandma do it!

So I want to know - what keeps you motivated? Any tips? And also....anyone know of some good exercises for an elderly obese woman with terrible joints and no motivation whatsoever? Help is needed!

Replies

• steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i think for her, being able to be around for her family would help motivate her... is that piece of chocolate cake worth her losing a few years with her grandkids?? i know it seems harsh, but if its a NEED TO situation, thats the stance that needs to be taken..

As for you.. i think being able to bond with you grandma is something i would love... i only have one gma, and i love time with her. also, you're doing this for BOTH of you. For her to have some companionship and you get benefits while being with her. Good on you for doing it!
  • rachelise93
    Options
    It is really hard to keep myself motivated, I have struggled with it for years! I don't know if this will work for you, but it works for me. I found this girls website, and she is my motivator, I find her really inspirational. Check it out, the website is www.lauramustloseweight.com

I guess I don't know if that would work for your grandma or not lol, but hey, just thought I'd put in my 2 cents. :)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    swimming would be good for her.

also, if there are any other family members willing to help share the responsibility then reach out to them. make working out fun, make trying new foods fun.

also, you need not cut out all of what you like to be successful.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    After trashing my body for 44 years (especially the last 24), I want to be around for another 44 (or longer) and enjoy it! I don't want to have to go to the doctor every week or take medication every day, worry about having a heart attack or have to use a motorized cart to get around. I want to be fit and healthy- living a complete life and helping others as long as I can!
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    Check with your local YMCA and see if they have aquarobics - any kind of water exercise, even just walking in the pool would be good.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I exclude anything external as a motivator as that's short term. I want something inside of me that pushes my mind to go through the challenges required to reach a goal.
    I associate pleasure with being fit, and pain with being fat.
    It's just that simple.
    It's an internal drive that is unstoppable. People who find this reach their goals in any situation.
    Those that do not fail as most people do. I do not want to be in that herd.
    Decide right now where you want to be.
    Success is a choice. Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think it must be really hard to stay motivated when you're doing this for someone else. Try and find something in it that motivates you. Assuming you are overweight (per your weight-loss ticker) there are lots of benefits to losing weight - try to think about which of those are important for you, write them down, and keep reminding yourself of them. Apart from anything else, if you lose weight now and manage to keep it off, you won't be in your grandma's position when you're her age. Also, you don't have to completely give up chocolate, cakes etc if you don't want to. It is better to make healthier choices, but try to make this a permanent lifestyle change (for you both) and if incorporating those things into your diet in moderate amounts helps you to stick with this long-term, then that's ok.

It's also really hard to motivate someone else, and I think you're doing a great job with her. Ultimately, you can't make her do it, and if she completely loses that motivation, there is only so much you can do. Just keep encouraging her and inspire her by your example. Make her proud, and she'll want to make you proud!
  • sjschacht
    sjschacht Posts: 2
    Options
    The question I ask myself every day, because I've a terrible history of lack of motivation, is do I want to continue to be in pain, needing more help from others and embarassed just being in this obese body. I ask, "Am I done with shopping in the plus size department where there's nothing very pretty or nice at all?" Also, I think remembering your family around you and how much you love them and want to be around to be with them is a good motivator too.
    As far as exercising with painful joints, I've found that water aerobics is the best thing ever. It's kind of a pain getting into that swimsuit, but it gives you energy and strengthens your body without the weight baring from other exercises like walking. Also, Pilates can be very beneficial too. The important thing is to try to find something fun and laugh together about it and focus every day on why letting go of the weight is important to you. Make a list and read it every day.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    For me it'so not about "motivation". It's about decision and action. I've decided that being fit is important to me and I'm taking action on it. I'm not making that dependant on how I feel or whether I'm motivated. I decide. I do. It's like Yoda said, "there is do or do not." I feel that it's a mental pitfall to depend on motivation to take action.
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    setting monthly goals helps me stay motivated.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone on the water aerobics. There's actually good workout programs at home for elderly. I'm sure Richard Simmons has a few and Tony Horton (creator of P90X) has one called Tony and the Folks. My mom recently started walking b/c my genuine enthusiasm for working out (and her seeing me to plyo-burpees at age 40 lol) is finally rubbing off! She's 69 and this is all new to her but she's starting to see how much better she feels on the days she walks. And she's quick, too! Esp for a smoker who eats like total crap! lol.

You have to get yourself motivated for YOU in order for that to rub off on your grandmother. The best way to motivate yourself besides surrounding yourself with like-minded people is to VISUALIZE on a daily basis of who you want to be, the best version of yourself! Once you get genuinely motivated and enthusiastic about the positive changes you're making for yourself, your grandmother will instinctively pick up on that.
  • betancourta229
    betancourta229 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't get all the great feelings about exercise that others get! To me exercise serves a purpose but I hate doing it! I started by placing a jar next to my scale and every time that I worked out I put a dollar in the jar ( it was just money that I would have spent eating out or on a vending machine...which I shouldn't be doing anyway!) then you can use the money to pamper yourself or maybe you and your grandma can have a fun day out together to reward yourselves! For me my family wanted to support me with my weight loss so they matched every dollar...that made it so I wanted to go the gym...instead of a dollar a day its three!
  • losecandy
    losecandy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Play some music that your Grandma likes. I also agree that the water exercises would help. The ymca has classes for water exercises. She will also be able to socialize with other woman in her age group.
    I am a diabetic, I learned that chocolate, sugar, and wheat flour are very addictive. I too have a chocolate addiction, but it is not as good for me. Try some fruit instead. Just watch portion sizes.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't get all the great feelings about exercise that others get! To me exercise serves a purpose but I hate doing it! I started by placing a jar next to my scale and every time that I worked out I put a dollar in the jar ( it was just money that I would have spent eating out or on a vending machine...which I shouldn't be doing anyway!) then you can use the money to pamper yourself or maybe you and your grandma can have a fun day out together to reward yourselves! For me my family wanted to support me with my weight loss so they matched every dollar...that made it so I wanted to go the gym...instead of a dollar a day its three!

Aww what a lovely family you have!
  • betancourta229
    betancourta229 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Aww what a lovely family you have!

My family is the best! The dont live close to me but wanted to feel like they were helping me in some way with this journey...and when I lose enough weight that I need some new clothes I am going to use the money to get some new outfits!