Weight loss - Quantity or Quality? What's your aim?

Options
When I came here with over 50lb to lose, I worked out it would take me about a year to get where I was going, at 1lb a week, and I was happy with that.

My preference is for fat loss so I'm happy to do it slowly and maintain my lean mass along the way, than do it too quickly.
To be honest I wouldn't care if I weighed the same as long as I lost inches and fitted into smaller clothes.

I realise that some people just want the weight off as quickly as possible, and are mor einterested in a number on a scale, regardless of what it composes of.

So why are you here? What's important to you?

Quality or Quantity?

Replies

• BonnieDLG
    BonnieDLG Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i want that 24 waist 34 hips! to fit in a junior size of 3/4, and when I bend over or sit to still have a flat tummey and no bulging. Also want smaller thighs and my arm jiggle to go away!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I came here as a reforming couch potato in my late 50s, so definitely quality. I didn't have any lean mass to spare.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Definately quality.

My 2 main objectives are:

- sustainability
    - maintaining as much LBM as possible.

Among other things, having a small calorie deficit (i.e. doing it slowly) allows me to:

- not 'diet', but rather make better choices
    - get enough protein, which, combined with strength training, gives me a better chance of maintaining my LBM
    - have enough energy to fuel said strength training (and cardio when I actually do it)
    - go out, have a meal with friends, have a few drinks now and again......'normal' stuff
    - not having to make much of a transition from 'dieting' to maintenance, and all the possible problems arising from that
    - get enough micronutrients from foos without having to focus so much on everything I am eating (the more food, assuming it is nutrition, the more likely I am to get enough micronutrients).
    - not be hungry and enjoy yummy food.

Now, in all honesty, would I prefer to lose weight quicker (wouldn't we all) - absolutely, but not at the expense of the points I made above.

I honestly do not care what I weigh - I care about my BF% and my size (we all have some vanity here!) and body composition.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Definately quality.

My 2 main objectives are:

- sustainability
    - maintaining as much LBM as possible.

Among other things, having a small calorie deficit (i.e. doing it slowly) allows me to:

- not 'diet', but rather make better choices
    - get enough protein, which, combined with strength training, gives me a better chance of maintaining my LBM
    - have enough energy to fuel said strength training (and cardio when I actually do it)
    - go out, have a meal with friends, have a few drinks now and again......'normal' stuff
    - not having to make much of a transition from 'dieting' to maintenance, and all the possible problems arising from that
    - get enough micronutrients from foos without having to focus so much on everything I am eating (the more food, assuming it is nutritious, the more likely I am to get enough micronutrients).
    - not be hungry and enjoy yummy food.

Now, in all honesty, would I prefer to lose weight quicker (wouldn't we all) - absolutely, but not at the expense of the points I made above.

I honestly do not care what I weigh - I care about my BF% and my size (we all have some vanity here!) and body composition.
  • cara4art
    cara4art Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Quality, hands-down.
    A case in point: Two bodies of the same bone structure, body type, height and weight, will look very different, according to the quality of the weight they hold. The one with more muscle will always look and be tighter and leaner than the one who doesn't do anything in that department, because fat tissue takes up a good bit more room than lean tissue. An analogy, volume-wise - 5 pounds of muscle look about like 3 tangerines - while 5 pounds of fat looks about like 3 grapefruits. Another one, as far as what fat looks like - think of what a pound of butter looks like in the box. Now multiply that by the extra pounds of you want to lose, and you see that it's a LOT! Of course, that's spread out over the body, but still...
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Both. :wink:

I want to be fitter... to be able to walk (and do other active things) farther and faster than I could without breathing as hard. And I want to be trimmer... less jiggle and fewer inches. Given where I was, that involves both losing weight and gaining muscle. Like you, I'm fine with a bit slower, because I believe that will be more beneficial. Among the benefits I expect are that it will be more maintainable (because I will have new habits), that I won't get the drawn, sick look that some people get when they lose too quickly, and I'm hoping that this way my body including my skin will adjust better to a new shape and lifestyle. (I wouldn't mind losing a little faster than a pound a month, so I have my settings for 1.5 right now, but I'm happy if it works out to an average of a pound per week.)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    quality.

it's not like i'm going to be dragging a scale around with me
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    There's no reason people can't have both and that's what we're all striving for. What one person thinks is a higher 'quality' weight loss is not everyone else's belief. Is your weight loss a higher quality than someone who followed a different plan and is also happy with their result?

I've never heard of people bemoaning that their weight loss lacked 'quality', outside of starvation diets. Usually they admit they regained because they went back to their old habits.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    There's no reason people can't have both and that's what we're all striving for. What one person thinks is a higher 'quality' weight loss is not everyone else's belief. Is your weight loss a higher quality than someone who followed a different plan and is also happy with their result?

I've never heard of people bemoaning that their weight loss lacked 'quality', outside of starvation diets. Usually they admit they regained because they went back to their old habits.

Really?

so you've never seen the posts on here from people who have got to their goal weight, but aren;t happy with their body composition, as their fat % is still high in comparison. "Skinny Fat"?

Those are the people who got there the fast and furious way, and sod the consequences.
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I want quality. I'm not on a diet - I'm living healthy and making it a lifestyle. I'm looking to be in the best shape I've every been and healthier than I've ever been. Yes, I slip sometimes but I think that's good for everyone of us now and then. Eat something you want in a very small proportion and then your craving doesn't become too much.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Quality for sure. I want to maintain and gain lean body mass and reduce fat. I don't really care what the scale says so much as how I look. I know I weigh a lot for someone of my height yet I am smaller than many people of the same weight because I'm pretty muscular. I also want to be able to change my habits so I am able to keep the weight off. My issue is more health than anything, as a diabetic the more lbm the better my health.

I suppose I could starve off these last 10 lbs but then I'll have to rebuild muscle. I'd rather keep my muscle and if it takes me a long time to lose the lbs that's ok. I was rather depressed for a while but recently I started noticing something going on with my body, not weight loss, nor inches but everything is getting more muscular, my clothes are getting too big. This change came about when I upped my cals to about 1600-1800 per day.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options

Well, that sort of answers the question of quality then, doesn't it? If it's just massive weight loss (quantity) and it was using methods that are more of a quick fix than a lifestyle change (quality) then they're probably more likely to gain it back. If you follow a plan that supports fat loss while retaining lean muscle, you are more likely looking for quality and the quantity part will come in (longer) time.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I want to be skinny, but I don't want to be skinny fat. I'd like to be skinny and strong, and I don't want to lose my hourglass figure, so I'm not aiming to lose a ton. I'd say quality.
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I want to get another stone off me as quickly as possible.

But I am morbidly obese, so I have that to spare haha.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Quality for sure. I want to maintain and gain lean body mass and reduce fat. I don't really care what the scale says so much as how I look. I know I weigh a lot for someone of my height yet I am smaller than many people of the same weight because I'm pretty muscular. I also want to be able to change my habits so I am able to keep the weight off. My issue is more health than anything, as a diabetic the more lbm the better my health.

I suppose I could starve off these last 10 lbs but then I'll have to rebuild muscle. I'd rather keep my muscle and if it takes me a long time to lose the lbs that's ok. I was rather depressed for a while but recently I started noticing something going on with my body, not weight loss, nor inches but everything is getting more muscular, my clothes are getting too big. This change came about when I upped my cals to about 1600-1800 per day.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Quality. That's why I weigh in only about once a month. I go more by how my clothes fit (and how often I drop a size).

I wanted speed for a while, but when I dropped only 10 lbs and lost nearly 2 pants sizes....I realized it doesn't take huge numbers to show huge changes.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    As long as I lose the weight and keep it off, I don't care if I'm muscularly fit or skinny fat. I'd actually like to be able to eat whatever I want (by this I mean a serving of any food) without worrying about going over my macros, sodium in particular.

I joined MFP only because signing up is the only way to see the food database.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

Well, that sort of answers the question of quality then, doesn't it? If it's just massive weight loss (quantity) and it was using methods that are more of a quick fix than a lifestyle change (quality) then they're probably more likely to gain it back. If you follow a plan that supports fat loss while retaining lean muscle, you are more likely looking for quality and the quantity part will come in (longer) time.

It does make more sense if you define 'quality' as 'lifestyle change'. But I really think everyone is aiming for the lifestyle change and the most LBM retention that also isn't going to keep them fat for years. Where people believe that falls on the deficit spectrum varies. If the absolute slowest is the absolute healthiest, shouldn't we all be just eating a hair under our current maintenance amount? No, because some deficit is perfectly healthy and weight loss is also healthy. All that differs from person to person is what deficit level we each feel is a perfect balance (for us) of speed and 'quality'.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I'm here for both quality and quantity. If I had to choose one, I would choose quality. I remember on a previous attempt to lose weight, I lost 17 pounds and I felt better physically, mentally, and emotionally... And that's not to mention my clothes fitting a lot better and more comfortably.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Quantity.. Then quality. Meaning, I want to lose a good deal of weight first. And then I will focus more on toning. Let's just put it this way.. I need to lose over 50#, so for me, quantity IS quality.

This is a very important point. At a certain weight, the cost/benefit is very different to folks at a different weight. With a reasonably large amount of weigh to lose, the benefits of losing quicker (medical and motivation) may well outweigh the disadvantages (plus, those disadvantages are less the more you have to lose). At some point however, imo, that balance tips the other way, as you have noted.