Giving Up / Addicted to Cheese

Options

Replies

• MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Haha oh god. I had the WORST cheese addiction. I had to give up cheese 100% for about a month to break it, and then slllowlllly reintroduce it. Happily I'm at the point now where I can enjoy 3-4 servings of cheese per week without turning into the cheese monster.

I still can't be trusted around cheddars though.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese practically every day but almost always as a cooking ingredient, in or on something else. It's much harder for me to maintain good portion control if I eat it out of hand.

This morning I had cheese grits for breakfast - one standard portion of grits, 1 egg, and one ounce of extra sharp cheddar. Filling, satisfying, 314 calories total, and such a welcomed change from oatmeal.
  • dbb9263
    dbb9263 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That's tough Darla !! The day is coming when I'll have to give up my beloved PB be cause it is definitely a trigger for me! I'm able to manage the cheese. My new favorite is stir fry clear noodles with veggies at the Pho King down the street. Noodles are not our friend!, I know its a sad day, but some friends just bring out the beast in us, and are best out of our lives! Good Luck !,
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Do what you need to do lovely lady!

We don't really buy cheese with our groceries; if we do it's sort of a treat. I could eat the whole block in a sitting given the chance. If it triggers a binge for you then it is the smart thing to avoid it. I wish you luck. Just keep doing what works best for you.
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    I have certian food triggers that I would compare to "addictive substances" in that I cannot stop once I start. Therefore, portion control is not an option.
    Cheese is not one of them. I cannot stop tortilla chips and dip (especially tostida spinach dip), and have difficulty with pasta and pizza.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I understand. Cheese is one of the things I had to go "cold turkey" on. I don't buy it anymore and when ordering I have them hold it from the meal if possible. When I start, I don't stop.

Do what works for you!!
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well..I'm ****ed....cause I have an addiction to fruit now......I gave up breads, pastas, rices, potatoes, junk food, most dairy....And now I've replaced it with fruits and veggies...Just today I GORGED on blueberries, strawberries, 2 nectarines, large red grapefruit, banana and I haven't even had dinner yet.....and I also bought cherries I know I'm going to have.....hmm this may be the reason as to why I'm not losing the weight all of a sudden. lol Also, I work out 7x a week. If it isn't walking (at least 6 - 10 miles) I'm biking now (just did 15 miles today), plus squats, lunges, ab workouts, strength training.
  • vibrantval
    vibrantval Posts: 46
    Options
    Well, the day has come.

I have decided to give up cheese entirely.

Cheese, in all it's sticky goodness is a food that I have to finally admit, I cannot manage to do in moderation. :sad:

It didn't used to be this bad. Really. It was okay until I became a vegetarian and I somehow had this lightbulb moment go off in my head that said "Yes!!! Cheese is a great protein source." So I had that going to validate my cheese addiction. And I kept wondering why the scale wasn't budging. No gains ... just no loss .... for an abnormally extended period of time.

So ... cheese has the bad rap with me. I can't do it healthily so I'm not going to do it at all.

There's lots more protein sources out there that I CAN do healthily.

Anyone else got a similar problem with any foods? Or cheese?

:wink:

OMG we are related lol I am a cheese fanatic! I have been about 1 month cheese free and I have the urge to grab cheese everytime I go to the market! But my husband says no Val no cheese for you, and we laugh and I know I'll be alright.

Have you considered getting veggie cheese? I have tried the sliced kind and its very similar to the kraft slices in let's say a sandwich. But have not tried the shredded kind yet.

Wishing you luck!
  • dnunny
    dnunny Posts: 125
    Options
    I started cutting cheese out when I went to lower sodium in my diet. Swiss is about all I eat, and not as often as I use to eat cheese. I no longer add it to my salads. I do love cheese and have to be mindful with portion control.
  • barbaracoffing
    barbaracoffing Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Cheese is really tough because none of the substitutes I've tried are any good...mostly because they taste bad or they don't melt! Do the veggie shreds or Daiya cheese melt????
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My husband loves cheese - and he can't eat it because the fat is really bad for him and it makes him sick.

So, yeah, he had to walk away from it.

Now he eats SMOKED GOUDA in little tiny slivers. And he can manage to do that in little quantitites. And the strong taste is very satisfying.
  • Bbwinpr
    Bbwinpr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hear you amiga. Cheese for me is a trigger food. See, there are wine snobs - i was a cheese snob. and an addict. I would start out my morning with a little cheddar, you know, just to get the day started. I knew I could quit whenever I wanted I mean, I was only using the cheddar to get the day going.

Lunch would have me sneaking out to my car, prowling the mean aisles of Whole Foods looking for that deal on Brie. it got so bad I had to have a"guy". they stopped selling to me at Whole Foods. I was up to like $32.67 in Brie each day.

It got worse from there, a Jarlsberg Swiss to get me home and then spend the rest of the night in the fondue pot, licking the sides. I was ashamed but in what I began to call the soft-rind spiral. My job, my kids - they stopped meaning us much to me. I did leaf wrapped, hard cheddars, I mean the really hard rind stuff man. It was bad.

One day, I woke up to find myself surrounded by miny baby-bel wax wrap. I had beel slumming and i didn't even know it. This could have killed me, i mean do you know how much mini-baby bel you can get for $20.00? nobody, nobody should eat that much cheese in one night.

Don't even get me started on what it did to my bowels....

Bwahahahaha!
    Lmao!
  • Bbwinpr
    Bbwinpr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use to be addicted to cheese but i'm also lactose so mu decision to give it up was rather easy. Wish you luck
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    How about you try Daiya "cheese" made from tapioca? Delicious, melts like cheese and has much less saturated fat. You can get it at most healthfood stores :)

I think I'm FINALLY going to do that :happy:

I've been hearing about it for the longest and had always planned on trying it "someday." Well today IS someday :laugh:
  • darla499
    Options
    We have started buying part skim low moisture mozzarella string cheese. 80 calories per ounce, it makes a great snack.

I actually have that in my fridge right now. That doesn't trigger me for some reason. Neither does cottage cheese. So I'm sticking with those for now and I'm going to try the Daiya cheese. A lot of people swear by it.

My name is Darla and I'm a cheese addict...

I already feel better .... I'm NOT alone!! LOL
  • darla499
    Options
    I'm going to join you in your purge of cheese. After eating an entire bag of string cheese (that's 8 sticks, folks) in the span of 2 days, I knew it was time to cut the addiction. Nowadays, if I want cheese I'm going to find a vegan substitute. Though to be honest, usually if the cheese isn't within my sight, I don't get cravings for it. I had purchased the string cheese to melt the mozzarella in a recipe (it was cheaper than the shredded mozzarella bag), but ended up eating most of it. Geez.

Glad to have you on board!!! I hear ya. Been there done that.

I've got my Cheese Purge on now! :wink:
  • darla499
    Options
    I hear you amiga. Cheese for me is a trigger food. See, there are wine snobs - i was a cheese snob. and an addict. I would start out my morning with a little cheddar, you know, just to get the day started. I knew I could quit whenever I wanted I mean, I was only using the cheddar to get the day going.

Lunch would have me sneaking out to my car, prowling the mean aisles of Whole Foods looking for that deal on Brie. it got so bad I had to have a"guy". they stopped selling to me at Whole Foods. I was up to like $32.67 in Brie each day.

It got worse from there, a Jarlsberg Swiss to get me home and then spend the rest of the night in the fondue pot, licking the sides. I was ashamed but in what I began to call the soft-rind spiral. My job, my kids - they stopped meaning us much to me. I did leaf wrapped, hard cheddars, I mean the really hard rind stuff man. It was bad.

One day, I woke up to find myself surrounded by miny baby-bel wax wrap. I had beel slumming and i didn't even know it. This could have killed me, i mean do you know how much mini-baby bel you can get for $20.00? nobody, nobody should eat that much cheese in one night.

Don't even get me started on what it did to my bowels....

Whoa!

So .... what did you do to stop?
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    i eat Weight Watcher cheese slices and WW string cheese. Its very good.
  • darla499
    Options
    I have found that it is easier for me to give something up entirely than it is to eat it in moderation. Make the choice that is best for you :)

That's pretty much how I am.

Thanks for the support.
  • darla499
    Options
    I LOVE cheese, especially extra sharp cheddar. I always find it on sale and I'm SO tempted to get it, but I can never do just one ounce, or two tiny cubes... but at the same time, it's just not worth the calories. So I gave THAT up, although I still do a lot of parmesan cheese in my salads. :)

Yep .. not worth it. But like you .. I can handle some cheese teasers in my salad without being triggered. It's just that real block stuff that sends me into temptationville.