What should I do?

Options
Ok how important is eating back your calories that you earn by exercise?
MFP has me set to eat 1580 calories every day. Today I earned 751 calories. Today I have eaten 1709 calories.
Is it important for me to eat more today? Or is it ok ef I don´t?

Replies

• Elle562018
    Elle562018 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert in this but I think you should not eat if you are not hungry. Just save your calories. As long as you are eating every 2 to 3 hours and if you still have calories left, then don't use it. Listen to your body.
  • jwilllose
    jwilllose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree!! I write down what I eat and the enter it on MFP at the end of the day- I eat about 6 times a day (3 meals- 3 snacks) and if I have a day where I go to bed with "extra calories" uneaten- so be it. I don't eat any more if my body says I'm not hungry. Your body will make up for it another day.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If it isn't something that you often do then I wouldn't worry about it. If you were consistently under calories or were hungry all of the time then I would say eat them.

I often eat less when I'm not hungry which counters out the days I go over because I am hungry.

I don't think it is as straightforward as examining it on a daily basis. I look at my weekly averages.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you're pulling burns like that 6 days a week then I'd suggest finding calorie dense foods to fill the gap a bit better. Nuts, avocados, cheeses or yogurts. Kind Bars are delicious!

It sounds like you're doing a great job of listening to your body. If you lose energy then you'll know to give a few more cals a try.

For now, if you feel good and can fuel burns like that then, great!
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Thanks both of you.
    Only reason I ask is because I have so much left 622 calories.
    I haven´t been hungry and I´m not hungry now and it is 20:30 and I´m not used to eat more after dinner but drink alot of water.
    I hope it will be ok, I don´t want to get stuck in same weight for ever.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    If it isn't something that you often do then I wouldn't worry about it. If you were consistently under calories or were hungry all of the time then I would say eat them.

I often eat less when I'm not hungry which counters out the days I go over because I am hungry.

I don't think it is as straightforward as examining it on a daily basis. I look at my weekly averages.
    Thanks.
    No I usually don´t leave this much left. Like for few days now I have been leaving behind under 200 calories so usually I´m eating at least half my earned calories
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Do what you feel is right. My current calorie goal is 1400 calories a day. I burn a little over 1300 calories in exercise every day. I'm just not going to eat 1300 extra calories every day. I usually eat between 1600-1800 calories, sometimes less, sometimes more. So I do go over my calorie goal somewhat, just not 1300 calories worth. I had a day this past week where I ate a little over 2,300 calories, but it was fine because of all the exercise I do. That said, I would not feel comfortable eating that much every day while I have such a massive amount of weight to lose because it would slow my weight loss down. I started losing weight in January and by June (when I started MFP) I had only lost 24 pounds in 6 months, or a pound a week. Once I stopped eating back all my exercise calories, the weight loss accelerated. My first week on MFP I only lost 1 pound, but my second I lost 6.8 pounds. This last week, my 3rd, I've lost 3.2 pounds. So, I'm going to stick with what I'm doing for now.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    If you're pulling burns like that 6 days a week then I'd suggest finding calorie dense foods to fill the gap a bit better. Nuts, avocados, cheeses or yogurts. Kind Bars are delicious!

It sounds like you're doing a great job of listening to your body. If you lose energy then you'll know to give a few more cals a try.

For now, if you feel good and can fuel burns like that then, great!
    Thank you.
    Yes I have been going around, been busy today but made sure I wasn´t hungry at any point. had yogurt and kellogs for breakfast, had a protein drink and a protein bar while I was going places. Had both cheddar and mozzarella cheese with my dinner.
  • theartichoke
    Options
    Are you currently stalled or just concerned that you will?
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Do what you feel is right. My current calorie goal is 1400 calories a day. I burn a little over 1300 calories in exercise every day. I'm just not going to eat 1300 extra calories every day. I usually eat between 1600-1800 calories, sometimes less, sometimes more. So I do go over my calorie goal somewhat, just not 1300 calories worth. I had a day this past week where I ate a little over 2,300 calories, but it was fine because of all the exercise I do. That said, I would not feel comfortable eating that much every day while I have such a massive amount of weight to lose because it would slow my weight loss down. I started losing weight in January and by June (when I started MFP) I had only lost 24 pounds in 6 months, or a pound a week. Once I stopped eating back all my exercise calories, the weight loss accelerated. My first week on MFP I only lost 1 pound, but my second I lost 6.8 pounds. This last week, my 3rd, I've lost 3.2 pounds. So, I'm going to stick with what I'm doing for now.
    Wow you are doing great and congratulations on your success.
    I have been here for 6 weeks tomorrow and have lost 10 lbs, I will see what my scale says tomorrow :)
    It have been struggling my over weight since I was 15 and for the first time it is so easy to lose weight and it is fun.
    I´m so thankful for having MFP
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Are you currently stalled or just concerned that you will?
    Just concerned. Probable because I have been seeing so many posts about people being stuck at the same weight.
    I really truely need to lose weight and keep losing it because my feet and knees can´t handle more. I would be glad to lose as much as I possible can before next winter arrives.
  • theartichoke
    Options
    I completely understand that one! Temporary stalls happen to everyone from time to time especially the closer they are to goal weight. I have a looong way to go before I have to worry about that type of stall. I hit the one from eating too little already. I got through it by starting to net, at least, my BMR. It's a tricky balance between getting the results we want, quickly, and seeing consistent results. I ended up having to choose consistency over speed.
    It sounds like what you're doing right now is working really well for you. Do you know your BMR and TDEE? Maybe knowing those numbers can give you a gauge of where you are and help put your mind at ease. At the very least knowing them will help give you a starting spot should you ever hit a plateau.

I like this calculator:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    MFP determined our total daily calorie goal that DOES NOT include exercise to lose 1 pound [recommended].
    And after we complete an exercise and log it in, our daily calorie limit increases.

This is because MFP advising us to eat back those exercise calories.
    Large deficits are not recommended, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    Is that healthy?
    What happens is decreased lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS metabolic rate, making weight loss even harder.

The quick loss, low-calorie diets may do wonders on the front end, but once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Think long term, and be wise.
    Exercise intensely, but eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I found out the best way to lose fat fast is to create a calorie defecit but by only 100 calories. Anything more is counterproductive.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I completely understand that one! Temporary stalls happen to everyone from time to time especially the closer they are to goal weight. I have a looong way to go before I have to worry about that type of stall. I hit the one from eating too little already. I got through it by starting to net, at least, my BMR. It's a tricky balance between getting the results we want, quickly, and seeing consistent results. I ended up having to choose consistency over speed.
    It sounds like what you're doing right now is working really well for you. Do you know your BMR and TDEE? Maybe knowing those numbers can give you a gauge of where you are and help put your mind at ease. At the very least knowing them will help give you a starting spot should you ever hit a plateau.

I like this calculator:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    MFP BMR calculator says I should be eating about 1660 calories
    MFP wants me to eat 1580 calories a day.
    I do not know what my TDEE number is though.
    I have about 80 lbs to lose or around 40 kg.
    I´m only 163cm or 5"3
    So I have a lot to lose.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    MFP determined our total daily calorie goal that DOES NOT include exercise to lose 1 pound [recommended].
    And after we complete an exercise and log it in, our daily calorie limit increases.

Large deficits are not recommended, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    Is that healthy?
    What happens is decreased lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS metabolic rate, making weight loss even harder.

The quick loss, low-calorie diets may do wonders on the front end, but once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Thanks
    Usually I don´t leave this much left. Well usually I don´t have as much time on my hand as I did today so usually I only leave about 200 and less calories
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options

Is that healthy?

Thanks
    Usually I don´t leave this much left. Well usually I don´t have as much time on my hand as I did today so usually I only leave about 200 and less calories
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

Is that healthy?

Thanks
    I try to get it close; it's never exact. We learn by doing.
    Good Luck!
  • rachey_v
    rachey_v Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump for later because I'm always getting confused about this kind of thing. Great thread!
  • kati37
    kati37 Posts: 61
    Options
    Different things work for different people....... It is not neccesary to eat your calories back. I have seen alot of people lose lots of weight and never eat their exercise calories. Just be sure to eat at your 1580 and don't stress it!!