Is weight training necessary?

Options
I've been doing mostly cardio exercise. Is that okay? What are the benefits to weight training exactly? Thanks!

Replies

• litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Cardio is good to shed weight, but weight training is necessary to tone. I'm proof of that - I've lost a lot of weight but I'm still jiggly.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I've been doing mostly cardio exercise. Is that okay? What are the benefits to weight training exactly? Thanks!

I do virtually all cardio too, I may go to the gym once every four weeks, negligible lol.

All depends what your main aim is really.
  • DL717
    DL717 Posts: 31
    Options
    The more muscle you have, the more fat you burn. So, if your goal is to lose weight, this can help you accomplish your goal faster. Also it makes you more toned. I weight train a couple of days a week, at least.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what your goals are. If you just want to be skinny then cardio alone is fine. If you're wanting a more sculpted defined body then you probably want to use some weights. Some women are genetically gifted to have great glutes and arms but for many the only way you're going to get the butt you want, or the arms you want is by picking up and putting down heavy stuff. (Heavy relative to your personal strength)

Strength training also helps you retain the muscle you have while you're losing weight and with good nutrition (proper protein intake) it will keep your body from cannibalizing your muscle tissue for energy. That's good because muscle looks much better than fat and muscle consumes calories throughout the day while fat tissue does not. And of course you can have much smaller measurements while weighing the same or more if your body composition is more muscle because muscle is more dense (takes up less room) than fat. With a higher body weight and more muscle you get to eat more food and you have a much bigger window of calories you can consume during the day. That is you don't have to be right at 1200 to lose. You could probably lose anywhere between 1200 and 2000 depending on the amount of muscle tissue you have.

Lastly, it looks much much better (In my opinion) than just being skinny. Check out the following discussion. This lady obviously uses weights extensively and it shows. No bat wings, no flabby thighs, just great body composition.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/650616-guess-my-weight
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Resistance training will help preserve your lean mass as you lose weight, leaving you looking fitter rather than just thinner.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what your goals are. If you just want to be skinny then cardio alone is fine. If you're wanting a more sculpted defined body then you probably want to use some weights. Some women are genetically gifted to have glutes and arms but for many the only way you're going to get the butt you want, or the arms you want is by picking up and putting down heavy stuff. (Heavy relative to your personal strength)

Strength training also helps you retain the muscle you have while you're losing weight and with good nutrition (proper protein intake) it will keep your body from cannibalizing your muscle tissue for energy. That's good because muscle looks much better than fat and muscle consumes calories throughout the day while fat tissue does not. And of course you can have much smaller measurements while weighing the same or more if your body composition is more muscle because muscle is more dense (takes up less room) than fat. With a higher body weight and more muscle you get to eat more food and you have a much bigger window of calories you can consume during the day. That is you don't have to be right at 1200 to lose. You could probably lose anywhere between 1200 and 2000 depending on the amount of muscle tissue you have.

Lastly, it looks much much better (In my opinion) than just being skinny. Check out the following discussion. This lady obviously uses weights extensively and it shows. No bat wings, no flabby thighs, just great body composition.

This x 100
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    to me, weight training has been like finding the fountain of youth. I cannot believe the difference in my thighs and rear end from doing squats, and upper body from doing bench press and rows,etc etc etc.

in these pics I am 186 ( as well close to the same weight in my profile pic)... i dont think i look it..another benefit...i have been lifting for 10 months and i know i didnt look as good at this weight on the way up!

19536421_1731.jpg
    IMGP3111.jpg
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options

You have to do other things than just cardio...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Is it "necessary?" Not really. You won't shrivel up and die if you don't lift weights. Is it beneficial? Oh, hell yes!!!!

It reshapes your body in ways cardio alone doesn't. It's good for help retain muscle mass. It's great for your bone health.

And the fountain of youth Jules mentioned? Absolutely. I just turned 40.

11pounds-1.jpg

pink-bikini-front.jpg
  • jlcl119
    jlcl119 Posts: 51
    Options
    It all depends on what your goals are. If you just want to be skinny then cardio alone is fine. If you're wanting a more sculpted defined body then you probably want to use some weights. Some women are genetically gifted to have glutes and arms but for many the only way you're going to get the butt you want, or the arms you want is by picking up and putting down heavy stuff. (Heavy relative to your personal strength)

This x 100

x2

Weights are a must for me. Skinny is all well and good, but strong will make me live longer and look better naked than skinny will. So, I hit the weights with my husband.

Lorina, you look fantastic! Your upper back is my goal!
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Is it "necessary?" Not really. You won't shrivel up and die if you don't lift weights. Is it beneficial? Oh, hell yes!!!!

It reshapes your body in ways cardio alone doesn't. It's good for help retain muscle mass. It's great for your bone health.

And the fountain of youth Jules mentioned? Absolutely. I just turned 40.

11pounds-1.jpg

pink-bikini-front.jpg
    Wow you look stunning. And your *kitten* is great in the last pics, if you don't mind my saying!

Erm, my *kitten* and thighs are my main problem. What are the best exercises to get 'em into shape and tone 'em up?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Wow you look stunning. And your *kitten* is great in the last pics, if you don't mind my saying!

Erm, my *kitten* and thighs are my main problem. What are the best exercises to get 'em into shape and tone 'em up?
    Squats.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Squats.
    Thank you!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Resistance training of any kind allows you to maintain a high quality of living as we age. Do you want to depend on others or wish to continue to maintain an independent life in regards to functional daily life? I personally do not want someone helping me off the toilet because my leg muscles are so weak.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Squats with heavy weights would be best. I don't have access to free weights and use machines instead. Leg press, glute press, etc.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Resistance helps preserve lean body mass during weight loss which raises metabolism.
    It also makes the body look better. Guys are more into resistance for sure.
    Ladies have unique needs that I couldn't address given that what works for me may not be the best program for a female seeking peak fitness.
    For cardio, do what you enjoy and what produces results.
    As for the specifics of your resistance program, just see what has worked for others in your position who have achieved what you seek.
    Here are some sites to give you ideas.

http://www.stumptuous.com/
    http://www.weightliftingforwomen.net/
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/

I know what works for me, and the main item that spells success is just the doing of something that targets every muscle group in the body.

It's work.
    The planning and the doing is just work, and you need to go to those sites and educate yourself without relying too much on the forum advice and opinions.
    Learn from the experts, then decide what your goals are and move from there.

All Is Possible :flowerforyou:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by necessary. There are a lot of healthy people out there who don't weight train. But personally I love doing it and love what it does to my body.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add that squats are my favorite thing in the world and I absolutely love my legs now.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I simply hate weight lifting, I hate the gym. My body responds well to pushups, squats, and cycling for toning. But that is just me.
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    yes its necessary if you want to tone up the muscles in your body if you need to find equipment you can find it here http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/