Here's my story . . . I NEED help!

Options
AliB118
AliB118 Posts: 27 Member
I'm 28 years old and single, no children. When I was younger, in high school and college, I was tiny. Back then I was 5'2 and 125 lbs. Since then, I've switched from working on my feet in retail and being awake and moving 24/7 to working a full time stressful desk job. Needless to say, the pounds flew on. I've dieted on and off w/o any real long terms success for the past 4 years. I always survive the first week or two and then something happens and I fall off track. I'm currently 5'2 and 170. I don't even recognize myself when I look in the mirror.

I've isolated myself a lot in the past few years because aside from people I work with, nobody knows the big me and I don't want them to. So, I spend my time alone with my dogs and my number 12 from McDonald's. =/

I'm SO tired of being like this and it only continues to get worse. I always talk myself into why its okay to have that ice cream, or hamburger, etc. I find eating healthy is time consuming and expensive, and I don't cook.

I need friends and people that will hold me accountable and help me along the way. I desperately want those before and after pictures, but so far, all I ever have is "before."

Eating is my biggest downfall. I LOVE sweets. I'm addicted to sweets and it's really hard to say no. I also enjoy my carbs. I just don't even know how to overcome the cravings or where to start.

Replies

• suzanne_oh
    suzanne_oh Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Even though it sounds cliche, you just have to take it one day at a time. You have taken a big step just by joining MFP! There is plenty of "healthy" food out there that doesn't take a lot of prep, so try to find things that you like and keep the fast food to a minimum (I love it too!). If you've never exercised, start slowly and add more as you get used to it.

Add me if you'd like someone to support and encourage you! :smile:
  • Tracey0013
    Tracey0013 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    well I think you have come to a good place :) I still eat carbs and I love sweets too. I think the key for me is to not think of it as a "diet". I have a different way of eating now. This site opened my eyes to how much cal and fat etc are in different things that I eat.

Your dogs are super cute by the way :) Remember ever little thing counts ( in eating,exercise and outlook) :) and sometimes when the scale doesn't more the inches have.

Friend me if you want :)
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    At least you made it here, this is a great community for support. As a first step, I suggest getting used to logging everything you eat. Then taking it one day at a time, making small changes until you are eating the number of calories you need for healthy weight loss. It really isn't that hard after the first week or two. Also build up a good friends list on here to suport you. Add me if you'd like.
  • 10goal13
    10goal13 Posts: 54
    Options
    Hey feel free to add me, i am 5'2 and my highest weight was 180 so i can relate. I also isolated myself from friends because i felt so big and ashamed of myself. BUT i changed my thinking around and have a good healthy social life again and i feel great about that because i was so down before.

Hopefully i can help motivate you, AND you can take your dogs for walks for exercise and to destress :)
  • vibrantval
    vibrantval Posts: 46
    Options
    My advice to you hun is that need to remember that you are special and you are the only person looking out for you. In other words instead of seeing cooking for yourself as time consuming think of it as I will take care of myself today, think of it as I love myself enough to make myself a romantic dinner this really works for me there are so many times where I just do not want to cook and then I think about these two things and I get the fire in my started.
    Another thing that helped me was buying no junk food of any kind, just basic things in the fridge, if you dont buy it you wont eat it. I also had a huge, and I mean huge, binge eating problem I would be good and then BAM! I would binge eat, I started a challenge that I would only drink water for the month of June and now my cravings are almost nonexistent. I hope this helps you in some way hun! Good luck on your journey :D
  • zaxmom09
    zaxmom09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    OMG! Your story sounds exactly like mine! I'm 5'2 and 1/2. A few months ago I was around 170lbs and I don't know what happened, next thing I knew I was pushing 196lbs. I have isolated myself from friends and family. I do not recognize myself nor do I like what I see in the mirror. I am ashamed of myself! I finally got serious on june 4th and have lost 10lbs so far but now I have stopped. I have been researching to see what I can do to start back losing. Add me for support if you like!
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    You need to break that addiction, for sure! If you don't have any added sugar, real or artificial, for a week or two, you'll be surprised how little you miss it. Yes it's VERY difficult at first, but SO worth it! This means no diet soda. No sweetener in your coffee. If I can do it, anybody can!

Look at the recipe section. Crock pot meals are great for someone who doesn't cook. All you do is throw everything in. Since you're just home with your pups, take the time to cook at least a couple days a week, then have leftovers. Freeze single-serve portions. Before you know it, you'll have a nice stockpile of frozen meals that are healthy, and not loaded with salt!

You CAN do this! Don't try to do it in a day, a week, a month....maybe not even a year. You're 28. You have time. :) Find time to move. I don't care if it's just walking around the house. Dancing while you cook. Moving your arms and legs during commercials while you watch tv. As you start to take care of yourself, you'll feel more like moving. Those sugars and carbs weigh you down in more ways than one!

Welcome, and enjoy the journey! Find healthy foods you love. Try things you've never tried before. Taste the food, when it isn't covered in butter, sugar, and salt. You won't believe how sweet fruit tastes when you aren't used to the overly sweet crap. It's not that expensive to cook healthy foods...especially compared to the cost of healthcare later on if you don't take care of you!
  • LadyLightning7
    Options
    Hi well I wish you the best with your lifestyle change. My suggestion to you is start small limit yourself to one 'sweet' a day. Have fruit, yogurt, nuts, or fiber one bars instead of a pastry. Work on that for 2 weeks to a month til your comfortable then move into other areas of your diet healthier carbs maybe or leaner meats. But make sure its not to much to fast or you may feel overwhelmed hope this helps.
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was the same way with the sweets. Sweets alone are really what got me to the state I'm in now. I'd eat a generally healthy and proportioned diet, then go NUTS with the bag of cookies or whatever.

I found that logging my food on MFP as REALLY kept me accountable. Even when I do eat crap, I log it, my friends pat me on the back and tell me not to freak, just do better tomorrow. And the crazy thing? I do!

I had to do a sugar detox for myself. By sugar detox I don't mean anything fancy--I just mean that I threw out or gave away ALL the sweets around my house. I went shopping and bought tons of healthy food that I liked, and when I was banging my fist on my forehead wanting some sugar so badly I could freak, I went and had an orange dipped in fat free vanilla yogurt with cinnamon. Still a sugary treat, as any dietician could tell you. But it's a far cry from the chocolate I thought I needed. And it trained me to figure out I could survive without it.

The important thing for me was making hardcore sugar HARD TO COME BY. For two weeks, it was utter hell, as I was totally emotionally dependent on it. Then, slowly...as my suffering and sticking to my guns became an investment, I found I didn't want sugar anymore. Having to log three cookies into MFP that cost me 480 calories was an eye-opener too. Suddenly I was hungry and couldn't eat anything else due to those three dumb cookies.

I mean, I will still wake up and go, "Maaan. Chocolate right now would be awesome." But I don't feel the compulsion to get in my car and drive out to get it. I walk through the candy isle of the supermarket--and I just keep walking. Sure, there are pangs, but they're not nearly as strong as they used to be.

I guess what I'm trying to say is--you can do this.
  • hayleeannie
    hayleeannie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is the first step. God for you. I can really relate to the isolation. Weight gain can be incredibly crippling. I'm also in my 20's, 5'2 and around the same weight. Let encourage each other.
  • KimL122
    KimL122 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said. :)
    Take it one day at a time and I don't say I'm on a diet, because who wants to be on a diet the rest of your life? I say it's a lifestyle change. Definitely take it one day at a time like everyone else has said and don't get down on yourself if you fall off the wagon. Duat yourself off and get back at it.

One of the biggeat things is put you first! If you don't do it, who else will?
    This site is definitely a good motivation tool with so many people having a common goal. You can definitely add me if you want.
  • crystallayne
    crystallayne Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Sweets really are an addiction! You body craves fats and such because of when we were hunters and gatherers. You brain gets a rush of dopramine to it after you eat one, just like a cigarette smoker gets after inhaling. The good news is once you break the habit, the cravings go away! That first bit is hard though, Good Luck!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 years old and single, no children. When I was younger, in high school and college, I was tiny. Back then I was 5'2 and 125 lbs. Since then, I've switched from working on my feet in retail and being awake and moving 24/7 to working a full time stressful desk job. Needless to say, the pounds flew on. I've dieted on and off w/o any real long terms success for the past 4 years. I always survive the first week or two and then something happens and I fall off track. I'm currently 5'2 and 170. I don't even recognize myself when I look in the mirror.

I've isolated myself a lot in the past few years because aside from people I work with, nobody knows the big me and I don't want them to. So, I spend my time alone with my dogs and my number 12 from McDonald's. =/

I'm SO tired of being like this and it only continues to get worse. I always talk myself into why its okay to have that ice cream, or hamburger, etc. I find eating healthy is time consuming and expensive, and I don't cook.

I need friends and people that will hold me accountable and help me along the way. I desperately want those before and after pictures, but so far, all I ever have is "before."

Eating is my biggest downfall. I LOVE sweets. I'm addicted to sweets and it's really hard to say no. I also enjoy my carbs. I just don't even know how to overcome the cravings or where to start.

It's known that when you stop eating sweets, you'll stop CRAVING sweets. I feel you on the carb thing however, but when you eat carbs try to eat healthy carbs like whole grain pasta and brown rice and control your portions. You don't have to cut out carbs completely. I found this bread that's called healthy life and it's only 35 calories a slice.. Also, I feel like many people use the excuse of eating healthy is expensive. I'm a college student living on my own and I have no problem with it.. I also so an episode of extreme makeover home edition where a man was living out of his car and he said that it's a lie that eating healthy is expensive. Fresh fruit and vegetables aren't expensive. Just remember: what can go bad is good for you, what can't go bad is not.
  • AliB118
    AliB118 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! You're all definitely very motivating. I'm going to take it one meal at a time and make small changes and not try to change everything overnight. I just hope I can stick with it!
  • Jishmeister
    Jishmeister Posts: 108
    Options
    You can add me if you want or I'll send you a friend request? I need some more active friends on here for motivation. =]

I'm 5' 5.5 and my highest weight ever was 197 pounds. I was so afraid I'd hit 200 and that people won't recognize me. I felt so ashamed and didn't want to reunite with old friends because of all the weight I've gained. (I'm still like that to an extent)

Here are some helpful hints:
    I love bread too and probably eat it 2-3 times a day. Stick to whole wheat or multi grain bread or even brown rice.
    Try sticking to fresh produce rather than processed foods (eggs, chicken, fruits, veggies). Try to stay away from fast food and canned items or packaged meat.
    I'm not much of a cook either, but with practice you get better. Just gotta throw a little oil in a pan and then throw your food in there and let it sizzle. xD LOL ok maybe not.....but that's how I learned how to cook. Trial and error.
    If you ever want some help with recipes, I can help! Again, I'm not the best, but I can do simple things. Nothing really fancy.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP; this is a great place to get results on the road to health and fitness.
    Losing fat is actually very simple but just hard work.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible:flowerforyou:
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has recommended. Just take one day at a time and make changes slowly. If you're not used to exercise start that slowly, too. Don't try to do it all at once. By logging your food and exercise you can see what changes need to be made. You CAN do this. It is a lifestyle change and may seem difficult at times, but you will get used to it. Feel free to add me for support and motivation.
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    While I am a bit older than you, I can relate to the sweets/carbs thing. They were all my staple foods!! Ha ha. BUT...if you can start getting them out of your life, the cravings do go away. And when you do have a piece it doesnt seem to taste as good as you remember. All the advice given so far has been great!! BUT...just remember we are all different and you may come up with your plan that works for you. This site is a great place to start. Alot of good caring people to pump you up. And for me the accountability is just what I needed. And also....I want to do this for me but I also dont want to let them down either!! We are all working so hard to get fit and healthy together!! If you need me for a friend please friend me. I am on this site daily. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • italianangel143
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! You're all definitely very motivating. I'm going to take it one meal at a time and make small changes and not try to change everything overnight. I just hope I can stick with it!

I can tell you from working in a call center the one thing you should never do is tell anyone else you are on a diet. Not even your friends. It seems as soon as someone knows you are on a diet they find reasons to talk about or eat everything you should limit yourself on or stay away from. Also, I find it easier to control myself by going and buying my breakfast and lunch for the week on Monday morning. So when other people run to get fast food I am not tempted. Get some snacks like popcorn and leave it at your desk. When you get urges popcorn is very low in calories and in fat (smart pop) and it is filling. Drink lots of water. People on here have told me you can confuse being thirtsy for being hungry. I drink 2 full cups of water before each meal. It has been helping me a lot. I hope it will help you too! Good luck and stay positive :)
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Coming here is an awesome and inspiring step! Seeing a therapist to process your emotional stuff/depression may be another useful step in the right direction.