Fell off the wagon

Options
Been keeping my intake around 1,500 - 1,600 but last night I visited some friends and I pigged out on rice and beans, pork, all sorts of plantain made fritters, etc.
I think the worst part is the guilt that comes after eating.
I guess I'll have to starve myself today to make up...

Replies

• bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It's the only logical solution.
  • Jodiekate
    Jodiekate Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that!

I wouldn't starve yourself to make up for it as you'll just make yourself feel worse. The best thing to do is to move on and just get back to normal healthy eating.

Good luck!
  • Waters914
    Waters914 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Get u a good wrkout in today if you can and that will helpw ith some of those calories. Everyday is a new day to start over...yayayay!!!!
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It's a new day. Don't stress about yesterday, and be glad you had a good time. And just jump right back on the wagon today.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Your user name on here made me feel really sad- why are we so hard on ourselves?

You know, each and every one of us on here must have our bad days or else we wouldn't be overweight. So you had a bad day, realistically what can you do? What's done is done. I think that you should put it behind you and just start the next day afresh. Don't skimp on your calories to make up for it or else that could trigger an out and out binge which will make you feel even worse. Maybe just drink lots of water in between your healthy meals and up your exercise if you have time, that way you will hopefully at least feel that you are back in control.

Take care and good luck xxx
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    Don't be silly. One day is not going to make you gain back every little bit of weight. A good high calorie day can even be a positive thing for your body.

I gorged on ribs and potatoes and drinks last weekend, and on my weigh-in today I'd still lost a pound and a half.

Just splurge every now and then. And on those planned splurge days, don't record your food. ;D Just live it up every now and then!
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hi! most of us have been there at one time or another. Last month I had way too many family celebrations and most of them were held at an all you can eat buffet. I gained a little weight but I just got back to keeping just under my daily allowance and that little gain has disappeared. :) I don't think trying to starve yourself is a good idea. Just get back on track with your healthy eating and sticking to your calorie allowance. Don't feel bad- I'm sure every mouthful was delicious, it's not like you are going to be eating that food every day.....
    Yesterday is history. Good luck with your weight loss journey. :D
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Been keeping my intake around 1,500 - 1,600 but last night I visited some friends and I pigged out on rice and beans, pork, all sorts of plantain made fritters, etc.
    I think the worst part is the guilt that comes after eating.
    I guess I'll have to starve myself today to make up...

Just get back on the horse. Don't starve yourself. Just eat today. You don't want to go from binge to starve - it just leads you to feel deprived and eat more later on.

It's just food. This is not a moral issue. No guilt. Just be healthy.

This is a LIFESTYLE not a diet.
  • rjlam326
    rjlam326 Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree with sa11yjane and nxd10 - just get back on track. We all have bad days. You did your best with what you had. Done and gone. Now move forward. You realized you went over and that is haft the battle. Pat yourselt on the back for recognizing it. Your doing great and remember, we are our own worsed enemy. Do positive self talk. Take care and good luck. Were rooting for you.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Just get back on the wagon. This is not something to feel guilty about. There is no way you've undone all the work you've done up until now. Just keep at it. Did you log what you ate yesterday? If you can, at least estimate, it might make you feel a little more in control of the situation. I bet you didn't eat as much as you feared. Don't forget 1 lb of fat takes roughly 3,500 calories, so to have gained a lb from this, you would have had to have eaten 3,500 over your (TDEE) total daily energy expenditure (which is a higher number than you daily calorie goal). Even if you managed that, you've been eating at a deficit anyway, so the damage would hardly be noticable.
  • cndpsu4ever
    Options
    Take one day at a time. You are going to have good days and bad days. Don't starve yourself. Just add some more exercise in during the week.
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    keep calm and log on : ) luckily the wagon never leaves you in the dust, it's always right there to get back onto. And we're all here to help and support. In regards to the username- you are certainly not just another fata**. You are unique individual doing womething wonderful for yourself-celebrate and be proud of that!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. It's nothing to worry about. FWIW, I pigged out last night and exceeded my calories for the day. I didn't lose any sleep over it. I'll get back on track today and move on. I have no intention of starving myself today - I will eat healthy meals like I normally do.

If you pig out for 4 or 5 days in a row then it's time to hit the panic button. A little over indulgence for one day is just a minor bump in the road.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    A cheat day every 10-14 days will keep you sane. I used to have a cheat day every Saturday, where i would pig out like there was no tomorrow...but I plateau'd...and the only way i could bust it was by scaling back...A day won't make a difference...rather than cutting calories, I personally would do more cardio today....walking seems to work wonders for me...just plain walking at a walk the dog pace...don't have to knock yourself out.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Do hope that you have had a better day today and are feeling more positive xxx
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Think of all the other days you've kept under your calorie goal and try to put it in perspective, it's not the end of the world and you're not where you were 6 months ago because of one night.