Here's my story . . . I NEED help!

Options
2»

Replies

• Jishmeister
    Jishmeister Posts: 108
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! You're all definitely very motivating. I'm going to take it one meal at a time and make small changes and not try to change everything overnight. I just hope I can stick with it!

I can tell you from working in a call center the one thing you should never do is tell anyone else you are on a diet. Not even your friends. It seems as soon as someone knows you are on a diet they find reasons to talk about or eat everything you should limit yourself on or stay away from. Also, I find it easier to control myself by going and buying my breakfast and lunch for the week on Monday morning. So when other people run to get fast food I am not tempted. Get some snacks like popcorn and leave it at your desk. When you get urges popcorn is very low in calories and in fat (smart pop) and it is filling. Drink lots of water. People on here have told me you can confuse being thirtsy for being hungry. I drink 2 full cups of water before each meal. It has been helping me a lot. I hope it will help you too! Good luck and stay positive :)
    I worked in a call center too for 3 and a half years and that's where I gained 30+ pounds. :\
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion is to stop all fast food, you say you don't cook, but you will have to get something to replace the fast food. I have not had fast food since December 2011, except on my vaca and then I got McDonalds grilled chicken wraps and only ate the stuff inside it and threw away the wrap. I have given up almost all processed foods. Buy chicken and porkchops, and steak (even stew meat works and it's pretty cheap) and fish. I eat tuna fish with a tablespoon of mayo and relish and sometimes an egg, (sometimes cut up a green apple to go in it) depending what my calorie needs are that day. I eat the whole can because I don't eat it with bread and I am so very full for a long time after. Use spices to make things tasty. I cook one day for two weeks or better and freeze my food and take it out as needed or wanted. But first you need to figure your goals and how many calories you want and need to feel full but still lose weight.
    My second suggestion is don't hide, you need to be amonst people in order to make the changes in your life, you need to see what's in the world out there that makes this new phase of your life worth fighting for and doing it right.
    My third is to walk, just walk. You don't have to run, you don't have to lift weights(until your ready to tone and then there are other things you can do). Go walk the mall, you can look like your shopping but keep moving. Even walking in your house from room to room, stand in front of the tv and walk in place if you have to.
  • wicklc
    wicklc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I battle my ridiculous sweet tooth and love for carbs daily...just gotta keep on trying!
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Your story seems to be familiar to many of us - so you are not alone!! I am 5'2" and was always very athletic and small - then after having children and developing some bad eating and dieting habits found myself around 185. I avoided Facebook and reunions, etc. out of embarrassment - 185 become 217 before I finally realized that something needed to change. I still have a long way to go on my journey, but this site has helped to me gain back control. Feel free to add me as a friend - it definitely helps to have others to support you and hold you accountable!
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    Hey :) I'm 5'2, and on my way down from 170.
    You can do this! Think about eating healthy and cooking as your new personal hobbies. Like when you take on a new interest - throw yourself into it. You'll be surprised at the new you that will emerge.
    Add me :)
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Eating is my biggest downfall. I LOVE sweets. I'm addicted to sweets and it's really hard to say no. I also enjoy my carbs. I just don't even know how to overcome the cravings or where to start.

I was a total carb junkie. Best thing I ever did was dramatically cut back on the pasta and bread. The first month or so were tough, my body was addicted. But later, it got much easier. It helped that the weight started to come off, and I began to have much more energy. Kept me highly motivated. But it takes time.

I would suggest some mini-goals, with rewards after hitting each. You've got a big weight loss goal there, and that's going to take time. Perhaps do it in 10 pound increments, and reward yourself after hitting each. Buy some new shoes, spend a couple of hours at the spa, whatever.

If you're serious about doing this, feel free to add me as a friend.

Good luck!

--P
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    You have come to the right place, and today starts a new you...hold your head high, and things will change around for you. I sent you a request, and I wish you nothing but success on your journey:)
  • Skye259
    Skye259 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, you have come to the right place, we all have been where you are now ~ and I agree with what everyone is saying, take one day at a time and you will get there. For me, I get rid of all foods which are unhealthy, including any high calorie temptations, I set a goal and put my stubbornness to good use to get me there. Right now the temptation is to get on that scale everyday to see what I am doing. I am trying to only do a weigh in once a week now. In a small way it also keeps me on track cause sometimes if I lose a lb or 2, I breakdown and tell myself I deserve something I haven't had.

I do exercise everyday now as well. Protein keeps us full and stops the cravings; carbs even the so called good carbs can make you crave sweets etc. You need balance as much as possible; lots of good veggies and some fruit.

I know when I pack on the weight I am like you, I feel terrible, don't want to look at myself, don't want to do anything outside of work and home. It is not a good way to live, we all need companionship, activities we enjoy so we feel good about ourselves and it actually gives you a boost and more energy. Don't despair, we are all here for you and will help you through this. I love this site, so many wonderful people and they really do encourage and stand by you whether you are having a bad day or a good day ~ what friendship is all about. If you would like to add me, feel free! I hope this helps :)
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You've gotten good advice here, but I particularly agree with poodlelaise. Start by logging everything always. This will help you become informed about your decisions. Close your diary everyday and pay attention to the "if everyday were like this..." message. I think you will start to find yourself wanting to make better choices even if you are making those decisions at McDonald's.

Once you get this down, try cooking a little. Many people find that it is relaxing. You can also prepare things for a few days, then 2 of 3 days, you just have to reheat, which is easier than going through the drive thru.

If you don't want to give up sweets or treats, you could consider using exercise calories exclusively for these treats. Once you see how hard it is to burn off a 240 candy bar, you may start thinking it isn't worth it.

I wish you the best!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP; this is a great place to get results on the road to health and fitness.
    Losing fat is actually very simple but just hard work.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible:flowerforyou:

Bobbie Cleric,

Thank u for posting this ^ with the links I've never seen this before wish I'd know this in the beginning :) even tho ive been here for some time I found this informative and encouraging. Again thank you :)
  • msbvet
    msbvet Posts: 1
    Options
    I was in your same boat in January, same height as you, except I weighed more. Nothing motivated me to eat better, and every day I'd say "tomorrow I'll exercise, eat better" etc. 6 months later I'm down 38 pounds.

Everybody is different, but for me, this is what has been working:

-Gym 3-5 times a week, and because I don't like going, I either bring a book or watch the tv, and it makes time fly. Days off from the gym I try to do something outside, mow the lawn, rake, go for a walk.. etc.

-If you think in terms of "diet" and cut everything you love out, then you're bound to fail because it sucks, and it's hard to stick to. Instead, I chose to exercise portion control, and buy healthier versions of what I like. For example, skim milk is tasty after you get used to it. I don't drink soda anymore because I find it too sweet, instead I drink flavored seltzer, which is very refreshing. Also I started buying frozen healthy lunches to monitor my calorie intake, and complimented those with lots of fresh fruit. Make sure you eat breakfast!

-Lastly, don't get rid of the sweets completely! For me, I love those little Lindt chocolates. If I go to the gym, I reward myself with ONE Lindt. Satisfying, and it makes me happy :).

Buy a scale. Once you can see the results, that is enough motivation to continue. And allow yourself a cheat day. Don't go out and eat everything under the sun, but have the hamburger or steak that you've been craving, and don't feel guilty about it. The next day, go back to your routine :). Routine is key.

Good luck :)
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I lived in Murfreesboro for five years.

All of the advice above is good.

Personally, I'm not friendly. This is how I motivate...

A Meathead's Guide to Low Calories
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/649719-a-meathead-s-guide-to-low-calories

When You Cry... They Win. (Ameliorated Version)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/640195-when-you-cry-they-win-ameliorated-version

Gc thank u

8 Myths about Self-Defense Training
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/639236-8-myths-about-self-defense-training

Gym Etiquette: Things that make you go Mutha#&$ker
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/642261-gym-etiquette-things-that-make-you-go-mutha-ker

My first Zumba Class (Video Footage)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/644761-my-first-zumba-class-video-footage

Food: Why are we so Defensive?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/651150-food-why-are-we-so-defensive
  • SteffieSunshine
    SteffieSunshine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This is a great start! There is more support here than anyone could ask for.

We are all in this together! =)
  • barbaracoffing
    barbaracoffing Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've hit rock bottom and now here's where you need to be! That's where I was...sick and tired of being sick and tired! The more friends you have, the more support and the more you use this site and learn to love to exercise, the more you will lose! Feel free to add me if you like! Believe it or not once you wean yourself off of sweets, you won't crave them anymore....I iuse to be a sweet addict too!
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You can do this. I am a wife and mother of 4 kids and I work full time and I pack my lunch everyday with healthy food choices. Find yourself books on healthy eating, look on the web for information, just takes a little extra time you worth it you can do it. We give ourself so many excuses why we can not. I started out at 220 in 2006 I have been struggling for 6 yrs to get down to my goal weight of 150. I am at 180 lbs. I only been losing a 1lb a week but am okay with that. Just take little steps. I workout 6 days a week and I keep my calories at 1300 to 1500 calories a day. I give myself 1 cheat day cause I love sweets to, but the more good food you give your body the less you will crave sweets, I can testify to this I use to go threw 5 bags of gummy bears and a bag reese cups and eat it all in 1 day. If you would like you can add me I no how hard it is I fight everyday but its the best fight of your life.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    You CAN do it. :D I am 5'3" and 189 pounds, down from 195. Before I joined MFP, I was at about 200. The only reason I have been losing is because I am in training for the upcoming rugby season...and I have never cared about my health that much until now, when I've realized my fitness can only help my team :).

Sweets and carbs are also my biggest downfall. I work them into my calories; if you can't treat yourself, you might end up over-doing it. Take everything one day at a time. Instead of talking yourself into why it's okay to eat the bad food, talk yourself into why it's not okay to eat it. Also, try and measure everything out, and start cooking as much as you can. It might be a huge pain in the butt, however, you will realize how much filling, nutritious food you can eat once you start to cook and measure. Stick with serving sizes, and learn to tell yourself no. It sucks at first, but the less you eat of sweets and such, the less you will crave them. I actually was eating my allotted chocolate the other day, and put it back, simply because I didn't want it anymore. Also, I log everything, and I'm strict about it.

As for healthy food being expensive...that, in part, is true. However, my family is being assisted with food stamps right now, and we're managing to buy healthy food and fresh fruits and vegetables. Just know where to look, what you want to eat, and when it's on sale.

Don't give up on yourself. You're worth it!
  • ShioriAilill
    Options
    You've done a good first step and a lot of people have already mentioned a lot of good advice. I am in a similar boat as I'm 26, 5'3" and my heaviest was 220. Here are my two cents.

Learn to cook. The quick and easy stuff (both the fast food drive through and frozen meals) tend to be full of crap. I've even noticed that once I stopped eating this stuff and was trying to eat more healthy foods I felt less lethargic and bleh after meals. If your parents are nearby and one of them knows cooking, ask for their help on cooking and making meals. Some things can be expensive at the store but there are plenty of things that are healthy that are within your budget. It might mean that you don't have any fish but tuna in a can, can only buy chicken thighs, and have to be really picky with what red meat you get, but there are plenty of recipes so that you're eating a variety of meals that you won't get tired of after awhile. Ground meat isn't all that bad just try and get the leanest you can afford (don't go before 80% meat) and brown it before putting it with anything so you can drain as much of the fat off as possible. If you have a farmers market go to it. You'll get great food and prices normally aren't that bad. If they are, ask for the "seconds" aka the produce that they have that's slightly damaged. They're still good to cook with, you'll get them at a cheaper price, the only negative is that you'll want to use it that night. As for recipes there are TONS online for both healthy and on a budget just look them up.

Walking is a great exercise and people have lost weight by doing only that. Perhaps make it a new bonding time with your dogs by walking everyday (or every other day or however you want to start) with them?

As for the scale. Weighing yourself can be a good thing, it can also be a bad thing. It only shows one aspect of getting healthy. I've seen people on here getting obsessed with the number on the scale and get to the point of weighing themselves multiple times a day and letting the number they see dictate their mood/mental state etc. I at first weighed myself every day. I stopped this when I noticed I would be getting really upset when I saw the number rise for multiple days in a row even if the total was less than a pound. There is water weight to consider and your body fluctuates a lot. I now weigh myself once a week. Also I suggest measuring yourself and using a mirror so even if the needle doesn't budge, you can notice the difference that is still happening and feel good about yourself.

A lot of text, I know, but don't do everything on here at once. Little slow steps are better than big fast ones in this case. You'll get there! As someone on this site said, "The weight came on because of years of bad habits, it's going to take time to correct it."

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou: