High Fiber Foods

Options
Does anyone know of high fiber fruits and veggies that help you...go? I NEED something that will keep me regular. Sorry for being so gross, but dieting has kind of stopped me up.

Replies

• sarahflesher
    Options
    DOn't worry, you are not being gross! It is a problem, isn't it? I suggest psyllium husk (at health food store), you can put it in a smoothie with fruits, maybe yogurt, etc.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Cherries are great (and in season now!) and plums. All berries are great too. Carrots and celery help me out a lot as well.

Whole grains and oats are fantastic. I start my day with old fashioned oats loaded with a cup of mixed berries which keeps me full, is delicious, and gives me a ton of fiber.

I don't know if you eat yogurt or not, but I like to eat 2 chobani yogurts a day with 1/4 cup of kashi golean crunch mixed in. All of these foods always help me get enough fiber through the day.

Make sure you're consuming 25 g of fiber at a bare minimum - I try to get over 30 g. Also, drink tons upon tons of water. Fiber will have the opposite effect if you don't!

Good luck!!! :D
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    prunes
    dried apricots
    raisins

I remember once I ate a pound of raisins on a cross-country car trip. Let's just say I had NO trouble with constipation the next day.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    not a food, but Miralax is a miracle!! It LETS you go in a day or so, it does not MAKE you go!! no stimulants and no cramping.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I've been having a bowl of Fiber One cereal every morning. It's 80 calories and 40% of your fiber. It's been... helpful. I now go every day instead of every other day or every third day.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Being a non-grain eater I quickly realised I needed to find decent sources of fiber to sort my digestion out ... The lack of fiber in my initial diet was making itself known ;)

I get my fiber from these sources (apart from the white potatos):

http://www.eat-real-food-paleodietitian.com/support-files/paleofiber.pdf

I treat fruit like a dessert and not a staple due to it's fructose content, but that is just me and my world right now ...

(edit) Futher proof that avocado is a wonder-food by the way ... Shame I can't abide the stuff :)

(edit edit) Also note that leafy greens are way better for you cooked as in the raw form the good stuff is locked away and not readily 'bioavailable'.
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I increased my overall fruit and fiber content to my diet when I encountered the same problem!
    My breakfast consists of oatmeal or half a grapefruit and a banana or an apple;
    My mid-morning and afternoon snacks consist of an apple or banana and, a1/2 oz of raw cashew nuts or Kellog's Fiber Plus bar
    I've been staying away from cheese and dairy (getting my calcium from dark greens like kale and spinach and, Viactiv Calcium vitamins)
    I also have become very conscientious of drinking at least 8 cups of water a day.

Hope that helps :-)
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I eat a lot of broccoli, apples, carrots, pears, etc. I also eat some Fiber One products like cereal and chewy bars. They are not exactly low calorie, but eating one chewy bar a day will add about 140 calories, but also 35% of your fiber. You can also try fiber powders, like generic benefiber. All benefiber powder has been recalled, but the generic kind works just as well. Mix it in juice or yogurt, and it has very little calories. Also make sure you get enough water, especially with a high fiber diet. I recommend probiotics as well. You can get the capsules or the yogurt. I have a history of constipation, but once I upped my fiber and water dramatically, it has gotten 200% better.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Chia seed, flax seed, brown rice, black rice, steel cut oats, quinoa etc.

Black beans; very healthy, high in protein, fiber and all that good stuff. If you aren't regular after a serving or two of black beans go to a doctor.

Avocados have the highest fiber content per serving of any fruit on the planet, and are also rich in good fats, a bit calorie dense though so be mindful of that.

As others have mentioned Apricots, Plums, Dried plums (prunes), Pluots etc are all of the same fruit family. The fiber content of prunes is not what helps people go it's that the skin of the fruit itself is a natural laxative. As others have mentioned cherries have similar properties.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

(edit edit) Also note that leafy greens are way better for you cooked as in the raw form the good stuff is locked away and not readily 'bioavailable'.

...and need to be consumed with fats ideally as most of the nutritional content is fat soluable. The best bet is to research how certain food items react to cooking methods in relation to their nutritional profile. For example, cooked brocolli is best eaten with mustard; due to the fact an enzyme which is destroyed by cooking that allows many of the nutrients to be absorbed is readily present in mustard.

Not just for leafy greens either; if you like eating sweet potatoes for that omg vitamin a etc, make sure you cook it with some sort of oil.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with constipation my whole life, so if you really need some help, these things should do it for you:

Quest bars (you can order them online)
    Green tea
    Sugar free red bull (emergency aid)
    Bran cereal
    Oatmeal
    Baked beans
    Psyllium husk
    Ground flaxseed
    Coffee
    And of course, lots of water!!
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Can't see your food diary so not sure exactly how you are eating. Agree with other poster: make sure you are getting 25 to 30 gm fiber per day (you can track it on MFP as one of your dietary numbers). MFP tends to give a low automatic fiber count, it gave me only 14 gm for a 1200 cal diet. Change it manually!

In addition to eating your 5 fruits and veggies per day (minimum), add complex carbs like bran-based cereals for breakfast, usually good for 7 gm fiber. Recently I found a great item that I use instead of bread, Orowheat whole wheat English muffins Double-Fiber; one muffin (both halves) have 8 gm fiber plus 5 gm protein for only 120 cal. Usually high-protein foods don't have much fiber.

Another product that I like much more than psyllium are the new fiber gummies (like vitamin gummies). I use the Walgreens brand called "Fiber Select Gummies", mixed berry flavor. They have two gm of fiber per gummy, usual dose is two per day but you can take up to four. Bottle actually says "Weight Management" (they make you feel full).
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

...and need to be consumed with fats ideally as most of the nutritional content is fat soluable. The best bet is to research how certain food items react to cooking methods in relation to their nutritional profile. For example, cooked brocolli is best eaten with mustard; due to the fact an enzyme which is destroyed by cooking that allows many of the nutrients to be absorbed is readily present in mustard.

Not just for leafy greens either; if you like eating sweet potatoes for that omg vitamin a etc, make sure you cook it with some sort of oil.

Great tip, that one had passed me by :)

I have no problems with oil/fat so I'll make sure I cover that base in the future ...
  • natsresolution
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to try these out!